Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 03:47 PM

376 posts, read 320,408 times

Advertisements

It's not unreasonable, and I would definitely bring it up now. You can give them the option of not paying you for some PTO. I've seen this happen a lot, and employers, unless they are monsters, are generally okay with it. You can also let them know that you put a 50% unrefundable deposit down which is quite substantial and you do not want to lose it. They will appreciate your transparancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 04:03 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoseph42286 View Post
Today, I received an offer for a position I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago. I have to give them an answer by Thursday. It seems like a good opportunity, and it seems that they really like me. I have a long trip planned at the end of May. I am planning on a road trip down to Florida. My friend is getting married down there. I rented a VRBO rental for 10 days and that plus 2 days to drive down and 2 days to drive back up, I will be out 2 weeks. I already got approval for this from my current employer, who I have been with for 3 years. If I respond on Thursday to HR, I will mention this. Better to be transparent about this now than accept the offer and wait until several months after I start to tell them. I am perfectly willing to take at least part of it unpaid. This is a one time thing also. I never have gone away for more then 3 or 4 days in my whole working career and the longest I have ever been out on vacation is one week. I can honestly say that if I work there for 15 years, I very much doubt that I will ever take that much time off at once again. I think that if I am their top candidate and they really want me on board, they will be willing to accommodate that. I doubt they will pull the offer over it. Do you think this request is unreasonable?
So, you'd be hired now but your trip is next May? I would tell them up front that you have plans for a wedding in FL, in May, and that you have already put earnest money down on accomodations, etc because this is a friend of yours. The worst they can say is no, or as you mention, the time off will be without pay, if you've not earned enough time off to be covered for the trip........but if you are their top candidate, then I'll bet they'll accomodate you. I've been in similar situations a couple of times, and have always been accomodated by the new employer.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:34 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Well, since we're talking about the OP...

What if they have an "unlimited PTO" policy? When I was hired on with a company a few years ago, I took a 10-day honeymoon trip about three months after I was hired.
What if they don't? You have substantiated the elementary concept that different employers have differing policies, so it is unwise to guess what the leave accrual policy is of a place you don't work for.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
I'd bring it up now but does it really have to be two weeks for a wedding? You could cut off 3 or 4 days rigjht off the bat by just flying. Plus save yourself a long grueling drive each way if it really takes two days to drive there.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:12 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I think a week off would go over much better than two weeks. Getting away for two weeks where I work is essentially not going to happen. Even one week would need to be prenegotiated.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:02 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Transparency on Both sides .

Less assumptions that way.

Three scenarios that I recall my boss mulling over in hiring a prospect.
One candidate made it clear she would be on maternity leave for 9 weeks. He figured he'd table that person since it takes about three months for that person to acquire a good base to their sales territory. He did leave that door open though.

Second was the prospect who Himself was getting married six months down the road. He wasn't going to pay the guy his time off . Instead he said, the job is yours. He believed in being fair across the board. In which our hire policy was the same for each person. Accure your time and use it once approved.

Third was A prospect that was in the National Guard. Again my boss respected the honesty of the person. And was willing to abide by the last minute "calls of duty" as is the case for most employers to accept when hiring .

So OP- If your package came with two weeks off - read carefully if its paid or not and if their are mitigating factors in which the employer can recind. I tend to like things in writing and upfront. BOTH sides deserve to have some notification .

Old 09-15-2021, 05:10 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,145,723 times
Better to be up front now. If it’s a problem for them, don’t take the job. 2 weeks off in first year could create real havoc in some places.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:22 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What if they don't? You have substantiated the elementary concept that different employers have differing policies, so it is unwise to guess what the leave accrual policy is of a place you don't work for.
There is this thing now called the INTERNET where most every employer has a Careers page that lists their PTO policy. Beyond that, OP will receive his offer with the PTO policy spelled out very clearly, so your whole "How will he know?" line of thinking is moot.

If it's me, I don't say a thing. I'm not rocking the boat now. I'm going to start the job, kick butt, impress the hell out of them and then come January/February 2022 put in the request. If you have to cut it shorter, so be it.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:17 AM

155 posts, read 90,077 times
I will bring this up with HR tomorrow. Logic says that if I am their top candidate and they very much want me on board, and they want to fill the position quickly, they will be willing to accommodate this. There is a worker shortage now. I don't know if there is a second choice candidate that they can quickly move on to if I turn the offer down, or if I am the only really viable candidate they interviewed. If it is the latter, it is more likely they will accommodate this. I don't think they want to go back to the drawing board and start going through resumes and going through interviews again. I will also stress that this is a one time thing, and I will never take that much time off again, and since it is a lot of time, I am willing to take at least some of it unpaid. This is an accounting job. It isn't a sales job where me being out for 2 weeks is going to cost the company a lot of money.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:24 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
You're request isn't unreasonable, your worry is unreasonable. This is fine, happens all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment