Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 10:21 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

I feel for workers in these types of jobs, especially with the rise in online ordering.

Couple of days ago I went to a Panda Express and the poor lady behind the counter was the only server there. She had to make multiple online orders in addition to serving customers behind the counter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chip...orders-2021-11

Quote:
A group of five Chipotle employees, including a general manager and kitchen manager, quit their jobs at the end of their shifts on November 14 after working under "impossible" conditions, they told Insider.

Peter Guerra, a Chipotle veteran of five years and general manager for six months, worked at the Scofield Farms Chipotle location in Austin, Texas.

"My store was severely understaffed, we struggled just to keep our heads above water," with less and less support from management, Guerra said. He said he was regularly scheduled to work 80 hours a week, but often had to work additional hours to cover for employees who quit and left gaps in staffing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 04:56 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
In other BREAKING NEWS, a high school kid quit his cashier job at McDonald's yesterday in Oak Park, IL. Said he wanted to "just chill" out over the holiday break instead of working 30 hours per week.

Sorry, but I'm just over these stories. I think I've now read of 3 separate incidents of someone grabbing the store intercom and cursing out everyone before quitting. It's enough already.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:11 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
How curious. I hit a taco bell about a month ago. Lone worker (Yes, a SINGLE employee) was working kitchen, prep and cashier. I had to wait an extra 9 min. Then I called franchise owner, chewing them out, for having this worker alone handling it all

I was stunned she (The worker was about 22 female) was still very cheerful with a line of cars waiting. I'll admit, if I'd been Daddy, I'd have been out there asking her to leave, failing that, staying to protect her

This did show me, not all our young are so entitled acting. Some actually give a damn about working and being the best worker possible. Some places don't deserve employees like this.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:25 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I feel for workers in these types of jobs, especially with the rise in online ordering.

Couple of days ago I went to a Panda Express and the poor lady behind the counter was the only server there. She had to make multiple online orders in addition to serving customers behind the counter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chip...orders-2021-11
Don't blame them one bit. 40 hours per week should be enough.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:57 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Don't blame them one bit. 40 hours per week should be enough.
Well, that's why the managers who are on salary pick up all the slack; because no hourly employee is allowed to work over 40. You'll get fired if you exceed 40. Back in the day, my manager would pay me under the table to work extra shifts so I didn't get into OT.

Honestly, the manager's job is worse than the grill monkey's job. The grill monkey works his 35, gets high in the parking lot on breaks, and goes home. The manager is the one that picks up every single missed stitch.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:06 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Yes. Do the numbers yourself and estimate your hourly wage before you take or keep a salaried job. Working like you have a stake in the place for $45,000 (or whatever the minimum is these days) is just being robbed if you are capable enough to do the job right.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:54 AM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
Quote:
A group of five Chipotle employees, including a general manager and kitchen manager, quit their jobs at the end of their shifts on November 14 after working under "impossible" conditions, they told Insider.
Asking out of ignorance...5 employees is not enough to keep the place running for a shift?

Old 11-24-2021, 06:01 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I'd think 5 is more than enough, for a non-lunch-rush shift.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I'd think 5 is more than enough, for a non-lunch-rush shift.
There's two lines, walk in and digital. They even closed the restaurant to focus on online orders, so it seems they were doing both.

Further, it could have been a popular site, near apartments and as such, a quick stop for dinner. If you went online, you'd also know some issues they deal with like:

1. People ordering for 4-9 people, each order different. And on the phone while doing it. Online idiot, do it ONLINE
2. Asking your child what they want when there's a meal rush. You may not be rushed, but the staff is
3. Not knowing what you want before being served. You had 5-10 minutes in line, plus you could online order.

The above is from actual workers. Care to see if you could hack working there?

Old 11-24-2021, 08:43 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
There's two lines, walk in and digital. They even closed the restaurant to focus on online orders, so it seems they were doing both.

Further, it could have been a popular site, near apartments and as such, a quick stop for dinner. If you went online, you'd also know some issues they deal with like:

1. People ordering for 4-9 people, each order different. And on the phone while doing it. Online idiot, do it ONLINE
If they don't want people ordering on the phone, don't answer the phone. A popular Thai restaurant near me stops answering their phone when they get too busy. When that happens I drive over and place the order.

Quote:
2. Asking your child what they want when there's a meal rush. You may not be rushed, but the staff is
They are at work, doing a job. They should focus on getting orders correct, not on rushing. The customer also needs to get the order correct or they're wasting time and money.

Quote:
3. Not knowing what you want before being served. You had 5-10 minutes in line, plus you could online order.
Who cares? Maybe I changed my mind. Maybe the restaurant is out of what I ordered.
Comedians used to do bits about people not knowing what to order at McDonald's. Now it's a crisis. Get over it.

Quote:
The above is from actual workers. Care to see if you could hack working there?
I bet I could "hack it". It's just a fast food job and nothing to sweat over, despite what you see on the internet with low-income people going berserk over wrong orders and French fry shortages. I even know what a Liter o' Cola is.

Mod cut: Video with vulgar language.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-24-2021 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment