Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times

Advertisements

I have been a temp since the end of March. I got this job as a fluke after looking for a good few months and due to the pluses I took it. (the hours mesh with my family schedule and it's very close to home).

The HR woman said there may be a job for me (permanently) the end of the summer. I have been very successful here (thanks to you guys who encouraged me to hang in there in those early days). I have gotten nice comments from many people at the company.

Now it's coming to an end and I have 'possibly' got a chance to be taken on the end of the summer(they are still very vague and I am concerned for several reasons). 1. The person I would be working for is very unpopular in the company and all I hear is negatives from others... 2. I am worried I will be given all the 'crap' no one else wants to do (several people are leaving). I have expressed I am no good with numbers and do not want to do any accounting but it has been hinted at. and 3) The turnover is becoming very high and negative at the organization.

How do I approach my potential boss? I am not making any sort of salary that I have to think I can't do something like this(Administration) in another place or even get more elsewhere. (they do not pay and are well known for this). My spouse is pushing me to get a better job where I can do more with my education and potential and I have been looking again in earnest. I need more money and simply have to have a better salary.

Should I just be upfront and say if you want me to do 'this and this' I can't take the job? They 'need me' now for at least the next four weeks so I feel like I have a bit of leverage. I can't have this doom feeling every day worrying about it.

I have the right to 'interview' the company and I am not sure if this is the right place due to recent events/way things are handled there. (I'd rather not go into details).

I wonder if someone can advise me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,721,841 times
Wait until they talk to you about it - no need to push the issue. In the meantime, look for work elsewhere.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Good job on sticking it out!!! I wouldn't bring up any conversation about a perm position and I would probably not want one there anyway. Too many red flags. Temp job okay. Perm job, no way. Start looking for something else now.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
I agree, I am seeing a lot of red flags as well. If it were me I would actively look for something else.

If this company does approach you about a permanent position go ahead and interview just like any other position and ask pertinent questions about the job itself. If it does not feel like a good fit don't take it.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 AM

77 posts, read 385,628 times
I just got done with a temp job. The temp agency told me it could be perm. I was there only a week. What ticked me off was that neither the temp agency or the company told me I wasn't to go back until I got home that day. I had a electronic card the company gave me to get into their company to work. I was all the more upset because I had to drive 45 miles to turn the card into the temp agency before I could get my things from that company. So, then I had to drive another 45 miles to get my belongs back at the temp agency. The company was way closer than the temp agency. It will take me a long time to recover from that and trust in a temp agency again. Just because they say it could be perm doesn't mean it is. They could just be using you for them to get caught up. Another thing is, I turned so many jobs that could of been perm just by putting my trust and faith in a temp agency. Good luck!!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,731,584 times
Never take a job you don't want. Never. You will always live to regret it as you get in deeper and deeper when the job you didn't want and don't like becomes harder to get out of.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
I would look for work elsewhere as well; perhaps in another city or state. This doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd want to work.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Thanks for the replies.
I think they want to stick me with payroll (a thankless job no one wants...the guy leaving now got assigned it--it was not even in his job description when hired.) I told the HR woman I am not good with numbers & have no interest in accounting but she just is thinking of being the salvation of the organization (not).

I am looking all the time for a better job. If I have to, I will call the agency and find a job now I proved myself.

I will just see what develops in the meantime.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
They temp agency you are currently working for will not find you another assignment while you are working at an assignment they placed you in currently.

Work with another staffing agency if you must. Or try and go on the computer and check the job sites and apply for jobs through there on your own. Sounds like you need to leave there.

If you don't get any bites, if this company does offer you full time, try and negotiate that you don't want to do payroll first though, take it. Or see if you can continue to temp there if you don't want to work there... it is far easier to find a job when you have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment