Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which profession do you respect the LEAST
Insurance business 64 16.08%
Telemarketer 200 50.25%
Lawyer 113 28.39%
Bus driver 7 1.76%
Janitor 4 1.01%
Trash collector 4 1.01%
Maid/Housekeeper 6 1.51%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:20 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,674,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
It's really hard to disrespect any profession because at least the employees are working and not bumming off the govt. BUT attorneys got my vote. They have to manipulate the truth depending on which side is paying them. Anti-socials are often drawn to this profession because part of the job is lying and being ruthless.
At what point did you decide to base the quality of your thought on something equivalent to the literary value of a John Grisham novel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,485,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
does anybody respect Priests anymore lol?????????????? I sure don't.
I guess I respect them,they've never personally given me a reason not to.
I don't buy into all the media bandwagoning on them.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
And their student loans,I know. So I guess they're just passing on those costs to clients?...
Yes, passing costs on to clients with a specific markup is generally how business earn profit. Phone bills, utilities, rent, credit debt... How do you think people overcome costs?[/quote]

Not at the rates doctors and lawyers charge that's for sure!

Quote:
Wow, aren't you clever. Clearly you must know more about the proper cost allocation of supply because no one else has figured that out.

Today I printed 3,000 sheets of paper before noon.
It doesn't take a financial analyst to figure out the cost of paper...heck even a 'lowly' retail worker can tell you that
Listen,my wife works for a corporate law firm...I hear all the stories

Quote:
Adding smilies does not make your post any less obtuse.
Sorry I'm boring you,but this isn't a courtroom

Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,273,444 times
Overhead(rent, supplies, electricity,etc) is always considered part of the mark up in rates and prices, regardless of the nature of the business.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Yes but are you specifically aware of the 'markups' for medical and law?
Medical in particular is insane! Ever gotten a hospital bill?
Come on...$100 for a pain pill?? You could buy a years supply at Sams Club for less than that!
$1000 a day for a hospital room? To do what...be ignored by the staff?
I could rent a room at a resort for less than that and it would most certainly make me feel better than a stay at a hospital!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Come on...$100 for a pain pill?? You could buy a years supply at Sams Club for less than that!
I could rent a room at a resort for less than that and it would most certainly make me feel better than a stay at a hospital!
Stuck, my husband is in the medical field so I do know what is entailed. Unfortunately.

What many people do not understand is while there is normal overhead(utilities, etc) there is also the OUTRAGEOUS cost of medical supplies, equipment, and insurance. There is nothing that can be done about those expenses because the manufacturers set the price and they know they can get it because we need to buy it! The insurance would be less if there were fewer ridiculous malpractice lawsuits...Obstetricians do not even practice in the Northern Neck of Virginia because the cost was so high! The women have to drive all the way to Richmond, Williamsburg or Virginia Beach.

Something else to take in to consideration is the fact that the drug companies charge outrageous amounts until the generic of the drug comes out. Who gets the big money there??? The CEO's of the drug manufacturers.

It is a racket, that's for sure. It needs to change, but how?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
The insurance would be less if there were fewer ridiculous malpractice lawsuits.
And malpractices would be lower if most doctors actually cared about their work & patients rather than image and prestige

Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
And malpractices would be lower if most doctors actually cared about their work & patients rather than image and prestige
I agree. But there are truly people who will sue because of something that is completely unavoidable. Even if it is a frivilous lawsuit and is thrown out as such, the insurance company raises their rates because they had to provide a lawyer, etc.

Most of the docs we know are very dedicated and work crazy hours because they want to get to the root of the patients problems but we have come across some that are just downright scary. There is an oral surgeon in town that does complete face lifts!! WTF?? He is a nightmare and has had more board complaints than any human being should...but people still go to him. He is a HUGE partier and has 3 massive parties every year (500 people+) and we get invited but will not go...sort of professional suicide to be associated.

The entire system is crazy. It needs a good overhauling but where does one start? The ideal thing would be to tear it down to the basics and start over but our economy would probably get worse than it is now...any thoughts on how to do it, Stuck? Maybe this can be your new job...Healthcare overhauler...what a nightmare!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,479,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
At what point did you decide to base the quality of your thought on something equivalent to the literary value of a John Grisham novel?
Sorry, my reading is more along the lines of Dr. Hare rather then John Grisham.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,674,085 times
Quote:
Yes, I am specifically aware of the difference between cost and price with respect to the medical industry as a whole. I've audited hospitals, insurance agencies and I've even performed in depth financial analysis for these same places. Their cost structure is what it is.

Quote:
No, it still wouldn't be lower, because the people at fault in that situation are consumers. Not doctors. If consumers weren't so concerned with stealing billions annually in frivolous and imaginary damages, we wouldn't have most of the problems we have now.

Quote:
Sorry I'm boring you,but this isn't a courtroom
I don't practice in a courtroom, and I've never litigated. Shouldn't you at least understand the profession before you attempt to state what's wrong with it?

Quote:
It's really hard to disrespect any profession because at least the employees are working and not bumming off the govt. BUT attorneys got my vote. They have to manipulate the truth depending on which side is paying them. Anti-socials are often drawn to this profession because part of the job is lying and being ruthless.
This was your original quote. There's an unsurprising level of ignorance and childish upset here.

For someone who apparently:

Quote:
Sorry, my reading is more along the lines of Dr. Hare rather then John Grisham.
considers themselves well-educated because they browse through the writings of a hack psychologist, I'd expect some level of substantiation.

Practicing law is by action an extremely social event. Meeting clients, drumming up business, working with every party imaginable (the IRS, the Navy, third parties from every sector of society you can think about)... All of this is highly social work. And for those in larger firms, there's the society one must fit in with: golf outings, yachting, black tie dinners and networking events.

An antisocial attorney is equivalent to a blind taxi cab driver.

If you're going to devalue the worth of my profession, it would help to avoid doing the same to the veracity of your opinion in the attempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment