Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:21 PM

178 posts, read 735,980 times

Advertisements

Hey thanks everyone! Yes, we'll stay away from Home Depot and
Lowes. I can't remember which one but a frustrated employee told
us the same thing one time. He was great but I think they were
getting on his last nerve with the understaffing. Starbucks, Target,
Kohls and Best Buy sounds great. My kids like kids but wouldn't want
to be working at a day care. Maybe their cousins kind of ruined them
on watching little ones And that one grocery store we don't have
here, too bad! Funny comment on the girl who needs a part time
job to help her pay for her working and shopping at Kohl's ..my daughter
would most likely be the same way. Again, thanks guys!! Oh and darn..
we don't have Chick Fil A's but when we move I'll keep an eye out for one!
Also... would be worried with them working at a bank... it's one thing to come
up short 10 dollars.. but another to come up short hundreds or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM

184 posts, read 903,229 times
Very rare, but a few large companies actually have pretty good employee engagement strategies (meaning actively seeking to improve their workers' level of attachment to the company) because they realized it improves their financial performance on the long run.

Best Buy is head and shoulders above any other companies in making this a central focus from the top down to store level.

Washington Mutual and Wells Fargo also started to pay more attention to their employees including interns and teens (if they have the program in place locally). Qwest is getting there too. From retailers: Gap, Home Depot are improving. Hotel industry leaders in this aspect: Marriott, Fairmont.

Of course most companies claim continuous "employee satisfaction" programs are in place and are acted upon, in reality it's engagement that matters not satisfaction. I'd warn you against the following companies (whose leadership I know have flat out refused to implement meaningful employee strategies): T-Mobile, Wal-Mart (of course), TJ Maxx, H&M, Albertsons.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,104,528 times
One of my granddaughters worked at Cracker Barrel during her junior and senior years as a hostess and did well. She's in college now and works at Chili's and makes a really good part time paycheck!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:37 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,651 times
My son's first job was at Blockbuster. He enjoyed the discounts on the movies and games, but the job was very boring. Next was Winn-Dixie Now, I can't speak for the whole chain, (although, I have heard some not so flattering stories about some of the other stores), but the Winn-Dixie that he worked at, was a joke! The management was awful. They couldn't find their backsides with both hands, to save their life! And, they had no appreciation or respect for their employees. Now, he's working at our local Wal-Mart, which just opened last month. He likes this job much better. He is full-time, which, of course, gives him a better paycheck. When his probation period is up, he'll have some decent benefits. He doesn't make alot of money, but given his age and limited work experience, (not to mention our particular part of the country just doesn't have the best pay scale in the world to begin with), he's not doing too bad. He has more respect for the management. Says most of them really do something in the store. They're on the floor, actually working, instead of sitting on their cans, and treating the rest of the employees like peasants. Just because one is a supervisor, doesn't mean you should be afraid of getting your hands dirty. If you want hard-working employees, then you should set the example, in my opinion. Don't ask someone to do what you won't do. I don't think that my son is planning to make Wal-Mart his career, but at least for the time being, he has a reasonably decent job.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:58 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,032,539 times
Default Wal-Mart

Celtic,

Interesting about your Wal-Mart. A couple years ago when I needed some extra money I worked at Wal-Mart for a few months. Most associates worked PT, while Department Managers, etc. worked FT - reason? Wal-Mart doesn't want to pay benefits. The Store Manager, Assistant Managers and Support Managers did absolutely nothing. The cashiers and floor people were rude. I noticed the only helpful people were the men.

In my area, Target is really good to work for - they'll schedule school hours around work schedules.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,651 times
Hey, Paula Lynn!
Well, I know that not all Wal-Marts are going to be a reasonably decent place to work, but at least the one my son is working at, isn't too bad. I do know that they aren't big on paying overtime, (except when they were getting ready to open the store. Then, he actually got a few 12-hour days), but he has shown me his benefits package, and the insurance company he'll get to use, was one of the bigger ones, with the typical 80/20 payment split. There was also a vacation plan, and a 401K plan. I can't remember what else. And, they have worked around his schedule needs, so far. I think much of it depends on the upper management in each store, the same as with any company.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,032,539 times
Default Celtic

Celtic,

Good for your son !!! "My" Wal-Mart in order to get vacation and benefits you had to work two years to qualify. Most of the Associates lasted about 6 months.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:56 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,887,491 times
Disneyland. What more could you ask for? You get paid to act like a kid all day long weeeeee.

I used to work as a ride operator (pirates of the caribbean + haunted mansion) making 8.20. Did that for about two years and then transferred to the accounting department as an intern when I graduated with an AA in accounting. Now I work PT in the accounting department and I am finishing up my BA in accounting.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 AM

436 posts, read 684,578 times
Whole Foods Market - WFMI

If you can see your career in the grocery sector, it's a good choice.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:28 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,666,537 times
Or they could avoid the "corporate" jobs.

What about the city zoo, library, hospital?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment