Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:12 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times

Advertisements

The first job I had was at a 24-hour convenience store. It was horrible! I started when I was 16 and it was part of my work class at school. I wasn't allowed to quit either, or I'd fail the class at school. They made me work the night shift ALONE and sometimes made me work at a store in another town. The pay wasn't bad, but that was only because I had to work at least 50 hours a week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,147 times
Here's something off the wall, they both could start off building a lawncare/landscape business, start small won't get rich at first but i've seen some guys make some really good money once the business is built up, beats flippin burgers.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
How old are they and is it just a summer job?
I'd avoid anything listed here because they are all pretty much under-achiever jobs. Need more info on your kids. Are they looking to work PT or FT?
I would look into a corporate job depending on age. Why get them a "fun" loser job. Work isn't fun, well hard work isn't. Don't groom them to become a lifelong employee of Walmart or Target.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
How old are they and is it just a summer job?
I'd avoid anything listed here because they are all pretty much under-achiever jobs. Need more info on your kids. Are they looking to work PT or FT?
I would look into a corporate job depending on age. Why get them a "fun" loser job. Work isn't fun, well hard work isn't. Don't groom them to become a lifelong employee of Walmart or Target.
There is nothing wrong with working at Walmart or Target as a student. It can help you keep up your grades, as you want the best education so you can "get out of here" to a good job. Of course if you can get a good internship or a better job (which usually requires that you know somebody) then it is a great opportunity. Nobody should feel "under-achieved" because they work at these places... everyone has to start somewhere.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 17,788 times
Thumbs up Build-a-bear!

My suggestion is for a teen to work at Build-A-Bear Workshop. They are extremely flexible and have an amazing work atmosphere. They take pride in their customer service, and that's what also makes BAB look great on resumes.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
GNC - General Nutrition Center. Their schedules are flexible, the hourly pay is in-line with other retail outfits, PLUS you get commissions based on sales. I worked there in the summers during high school and loved it. The entire month of June is just ridiculous - everyone trying to trim up for the July 4th lake parties. I picked up so many chicks with that job, and I'm an average looking dude! And because of the base+commission pay structure, you'll earn twice as much as your buddies working at Target, and you'll build solid sales skills which will help with your future career! Put in your application today!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 38,809 times
My first job was at Busch Gardens. It's an amusement park in Tampa, FL. Second job was at MUVICO. It's a growing movie theatre chain.

Both jobs were awesome. I like jobs where you don't have to do anything. I was a ride operator at BG and an usher at MUVICO.

I'm starting at Wendy's soon and I'm going to try to get a job at Wal-Mart, workin' the third shift.

Diss on Wendy's all you want, but with my situation, I just gotta go with it. 17, graduating next month, and I need to save up to move out next year.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Yes, I would choose carefully the place of work that my teens would work at. Like work conditions safety, fellow employees, how many hours, etc. Some of these places are less than scrupulous about what they make the employees do. And recently I heard that teen girls are way more subject to sexual harassment on the job than older women because they don't know any better. So watch our for that and warn your girl teens about fishy behaviors by their male co-workers.
And I don't think I would ever let my teen work in a fast food in our area. A regular restaurant OK.
My first job was at a local bakery. Liked it, got to take home day old bakery, which my family loved! Boss was too crabby for me though.
Then all through high school and college I worked at a big retail store in various departments. Very nice, safe environment. but the company was notoriously cheap and the pay was very low. BUT it was air conditioned! You can't be picky when you are a teen.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Gardener34,

Not to be a nit-picker or anything, but you just posted two paragraphs of specifications for what kind of job you would allow your teens to take, then closed your post with "you can't be picky when you're a teen." Ummm....

Also, there's no shame in working fast food during the summers when you're 15-17. The grease is nasty, but the money is real.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I am judging the fast food restaurants in OUR AREA - NOT everywhere ... they mostly hire people that don't look so trustworthy to me. I won't eat in a few of them anymore because the customer service is so poor. Nothing against them though, I heard that McDonald's is the #1 company in which you can move up from the bottom. And they have good benefits.

And my sister worked in fast food for a while in high school and they made her work ungodly hours even though she had school the next day. Mom made her quit very soon because the manager was very unreasonable about her hours during the school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment