Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 AM

178 posts, read 735,118 times

Advertisements

I have two kids and we were wondering what companies
would be great to work for. We have heard Starbucks
but that it's hard to get a job there.. any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 09:34 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,500 times
When I was a teen I worked at Best Buy.
I don't think its the greatest company to work for.. But you work amongst people your own age range and you get a nice discount.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 AM

381 posts, read 1,685,501 times
I've seen young people working at Publix and Chick-Fil-A, and I think Target. I'm not sure about any other company specifically. I got my first job as a flex receptionist at a nursing home when I was 16 (I hated it, though). Now I'm working at a mass mailing business. But, because both my dad and brother-in-law have their own businesses, sooner or later I will probably end up just working for them.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:28 AM

212 posts, read 791,371 times
I work at Kohl's and they hire alot of teens, (at least at my store). I have worked there for over 6 months and have been hiring the entire time. They only hire for part time (only managemnet has full time schedule), and have been very flexible with my schedule. They offer bennifits for part time assocoiates, as well as scholarships. You also get a discount on the merchandise. (That is probably my favorite part of the job). I keep saying I need to get a part-time job to support my shopping habit from my part-time job. I think it would be a great place for you to look into.
LORI

Last edited by shanenlori; 02-09-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: I forgot some very valuable information :)

Old 02-09-2007, 10:41 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
When I was a teen I worked at Burger King. The place I worked at, at least, worked around all of the high school kid's schedules. And, if you had above a C average in college, you could get money for college. 2 of my friends did it, I alas, in highschool, did not have that average Made up for it when I went to college though!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Avoid Lowe's and/or Home Depot like the PLAGUE! While the starting pay scales may be pleasant (I started at $8.69/hr. and am now earning nearly $9.50/hr.), the amount of intentional understaffing (at least here in my area) at Lowe's and Home Depot is sickening. Just the other night they threw me, the loader (the guy who basically just pushes carts around all day outside), onto the service desk alone and cold turkey because they had nobody else to do it! There I was trying to answer the phones, ring people out, and handle payments, orders, questions, etc. without any sort of training! These two companies may be attractive if you're older, but they treat the younger employees like garbage, as they probably assume that we're worthless to their bottom lines (even though I've had a number of people tell me that my courtesy to them was the primary reason why they would return to do their shopping at Lowe's the next time as opposed to the Home Depot down the road, but I digress). The pay is great, but the working conditions are AWFUL! Talk about a constant skeleton crew!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
My votes would be:

Wegman's Grocers (If you have them in your area)
Starbucks
Target (The ones locally I know who work there enjoy their jobs).

Old 02-09-2007, 11:56 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
My first job was at a daycare after school. I know the ones around here hire teens. Then my next job was at the local bank as a teller. My sis ended up getting the same job a few years later at the bank. All of the afternoon p/t and Sat. tellers were high school students. It was a great job w/ no late evenings or working all weekend. Pay was better than what my friends were making elsewhere and I loved the experience. I could not see myself working around food..... ewwww. Almost got a job at a ladies shoe store down from the school but I did not take it as I figured I would leave owing them every week, .

Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Starbucks, Best Buy, or any store in a mall. Usually they want to be by other teens and these places will let them do so.

It's amazing how many teenage girls want to work at Starbucks, I swear they put an ad in the paper and they'll get a hundred applications the 1st day.

Best Buy would be great for the boys. You get an employee discount and the pay isn't terrible compared to other jobs.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,145,439 times
The son of our best friends has worked for Chick-fil-a for for the past six or seven years. He started out in high school and continues to work there. That to says quite a lot about the franchise when someone, especially a teenager and twentysoming works there that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment