Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,543 times

Advertisements

I worked as a lifeguard last summer and really enjoyed it. You have to be sixteen and certified in CPR, but you can easily become certified thorugh a Red Cross Program. It was a very fun job, although it came along with responsibility, because although I earned almost 13 dollars an hour and spent hours lounging in the sun, when an emergency occured it was up to me as the lifeguard to respond. Its a great job with high pay, but in the city I worked, I was required to work full time. That was the hardest part, having no summer at all. But I would hghly reccommend it to anyone who loves the sun and is a strong swimmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 03:34 PM

677 posts, read 1,621,179 times
I would say that any retail stores or restaurants would be good choices. Target, Kohls, Best Buy, Pet World, mall stores, etc. I've also heard that movie theaters are fun to work at but the pay isn't terrific. They could try working in housekeeping at a hotel. Or, they could create their own business. Babysitting or petsitting services, lawn mowing, cleaning, baking, etc.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Find something that could be career enhancing.

Can a parent get the kid a summer job at his place of employment? Does the local university need an assistant in the lab? Can the kid serve as an apprentice to Geek Squad or some other PC repair outfit?

My first job in summer 1977, I made $3.30/hour (minimum wage was $2.65) producing PC boards, wirewrapping. I, 16 at the time, was working with a bunch of middle aged women, Cougars of the 1970s I suppose. That was great. I remember them crying the afternoon Elvis died.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Avoid Lowe's and/or Home Depot like the PLAGUE! While the starting pay scales may be pleasant (I started at $8.69/hr. and am now earning nearly $9.50/hr.), the amount of intentional understaffing (at least here in my area) at Lowe's and Home Depot is sickening. Just the other night they threw me, the loader (the guy who basically just pushes carts around all day outside), onto the service desk alone and cold turkey because they had nobody else to do it! There I was trying to answer the phones, ring people out, and handle payments, orders, questions, etc. without any sort of training! These two companies may be attractive if you're older, but they treat the younger employees like garbage, as they probably assume that we're worthless to their bottom lines (even though I've had a number of people tell me that my courtesy to them was the primary reason why they would return to do their shopping at Lowe's the next time as opposed to the Home Depot down the road, but I digress). The pay is great, but the working conditions are AWFUL! Talk about a constant skeleton crew!
LOL. I worked for Lowes for almost 2 years while in college and WILL NEVER WORK in retail ever again! Pay was crap, management was crap, customer at times were crap. The only thing I enjoyed about working there was working outside in the garden center and helping out the occasional nice customers.

I pretty much did warehouse work for chump change.

But for teens, get them exposed to jobs requiring customer service to develop and improve their verbal communication skills. Some form of manual labor is great as well as today's generation need to learn what hard work is.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
Okay,so iam a teenager and I want to open my own franchise. I have about two.thousand . What.to.do.next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment