Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times

Advertisements

that is not what they wanted to say. they wanted to say you are arrogant and you got attitude.
or we wana know why you are 50 got a phd and have never worked at anymore more than a clerk job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:43 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,200,619 times
I had been an office manager and supervisor for the years that we were getting our kids through college. We needed the higher salary. I could do the work, but it was stressful. I went looking for something with less stress as soon as they graduated.

Yep, "over qualified." One of the problems is that a person that has been in a supervisory position is used to setting things up and expecting other to follow through. In other words, giving orders instead of taking them. A business hestitates to hire such a person because it's likely that the supervisory type personality won't be a good match with the rest of the workers.

Just keep looking, you'll find something.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,015,816 times
I always avoided hiring over-qualified applicants because of the time and expense of having to go through the recruiting process again in a short period of time. It's been my experience that as soon as they find a job more in line with their qualifications, they bolt. You're lucky if an over-qualified person remains for 1 year.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 AM

185 posts, read 687,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is not what they wanted to say. they wanted to say you are arrogant and you got attitude.
Projecting?

Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I had been an office manager and supervisor for the years that we were getting our kids through college. We needed the higher salary. I could do the work, but it was stressful. I went looking for something with less stress as soon as they graduated.

Yep, "over qualified." One of the problems is that a person that has been in a supervisory position is used to setting things up and expecting other to follow through. In other words, giving orders instead of taking them. A business hestitates to hire such a person because it's likely that the supervisory type personality won't be a good match with the rest of the workers.

Just keep looking, you'll find something.
Haha, I hate to say it but I think I'd be pretty much unemployable. I mean I am 26 next month, I have never worked for a single employer in my entire life. I have owned or co-owned three businesses, I've written freelance for money (mostly online), and at this point in my life I bet an employer would be kind of nervous about taking a chance on someone whose resume pretty just says "CEO / Owner" and other things like that. I'm resigned to having to make it myself, as an employer and self-employed, rather than ever having a job. I like that and I think it's fine but boy, if I ever had to get a job for another company, it might be awkward.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 AM

95 posts, read 328,134 times
Ive also owned my own construction/handyman service. I worked for same company for 22 years back on coast. I never thought it would be hard to find a construction job. Boy was I incorrect in that assumption.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,520,957 times
If one has to leave their degrees off their resume to get hired, then what is the purpose of all these schools telling people to go to college?
Why are high schools telling kids to go to college?
Why are people being told that "without a college degree, you won't find a job"???

So which is it?

Are we better off without degrees, or with them?

And why wouldn't an employer want someone who has experienced, maybe overqualified, because they get someone really good for the price?

So what do employers want, trained and educated employees, or uneducated ones?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I always avoided hiring over-qualified applicants because of the time and expense of having to go through the recruiting process again in a short period of time. It's been my experience that as soon as they find a job more in line with their qualifications, they bolt. You're lucky if an over-qualified person remains for 1 year.

But common sense says, someone way overqualified applying for job like that is doing it because they can't find something else. It is very obvious. You are turning away good people because you fear turnover. If your job is good and will advance someone who shows they do good work, that person will stay. In this economy, just where are they going to go?

There are few manufacturing jobs left.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Haha, I hate to say it but I think I'd be pretty much unemployable. I mean I am 26 next month, I have never worked for a single employer in my entire life. I have owned or co-owned three businesses, I've written freelance for money (mostly online), and at this point in my life I bet an employer would be kind of nervous about taking a chance on someone whose resume pretty just says "CEO / Owner" and other things like that. I'm resigned to having to make it myself, as an employer and self-employed, rather than ever having a job. I like that and I think it's fine but boy, if I ever had to get a job for another company, it might be awkward.
Primarily because bosses don't want someone who is smarter or more knowledgeable than them and makes them look dumb. So they hire lesser people so they can stay on top.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Holland Willis Jr View Post
Ive also owned my own construction/handyman service. I worked for same company for 22 years back on coast. I never thought it would be hard to find a construction job. Boy was I incorrect in that assumption.

They don't want to pay.
They don't want someone who really knows what he is doing, because then he is a threat to them.

That is why quality is so bad now. Because no one wants to pay for real knowledge, skill, and experience.

If you are older, have experience, and actually know what you are doing, they will replace you will 2 or 3 younger people who don't know what you spent a lifetime doing.

I have seen it with many people and I am sure you have too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment