Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM

95 posts, read 328,124 times

Advertisements

All I keep getting on my job inquiry's is "overqualified"

Is this just a polite way to say "we dont want you working here"

Getting very depressing now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 PM

850 posts, read 4,743,774 times
I'm so sorry! I know that's got to be very discouraging.

When I used to hire, we would try to stay away from folks who were overqualified. Our thoughts were that they weren't in it for the long haul and they'd only be "settling" with us. Also, they'd likely be unhappy doing tasks that weren't challenging for them and may have difficulty following direction or authority. This was a few years ago, so likely the economy may have shifted some of this thinking. It may also be industry specific too. Just wanted you to know there is such a thing as being "overqualified" and I'm sure it has nothing to do with you personally and them not "wanting" you! You'll find something, don't get discouranged!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,873,421 times
Quote:
Is this just a polite way to say "we dont want you working here"
pretty much. What else are you going to say?

Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 AM

121 posts, read 518,285 times
I have friends who are looking for second jobs or more regular work. They have to leave off the college on the resume / job application to get hired. One friend is a licensed counselor who wanted to get away from it for a while. He applied at Barnes and Noble as a clerk. Gave him his true resume, never got a call. People say if you are "over qualified" that you will quit as soon as something better is offered. Things are very tight in this economy.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,084,406 times
I read something about how to counter this.
Tell the interviewer that 'overqualified' just means I am better able to work independently and give you the kind of work you expect without being trained as long as someone with less experience.

I, too, could be considered overqualified. I have 2 degrees and I am seriously thinking of just sending out resumes (as an experiment) without my MS and see what happens.

This area I live in has many educated people working for peanuts...welcome to Vermont I was told.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 AM

91 posts, read 311,607 times
The current job I have is considered to be far below what my experience would dictate. I used to get cut as much in taxes just about as what I make now. But I KNEW Id love this kind of work. So I had to leave alot off of my resume'

I had applied a couple years earlier and had gotten the dreaded "overqualified" bit.

Now that Ive been here a good while I let my true resume' be known and my boss is rethinking his overqualified reasons for not hiring.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillScoggin View Post
The current job I have is considered to be far below what my experience would dictate. I used to get cut as much in taxes just about as what I make now. But I KNEW Id love this kind of work. So I had to leave alot off of my resume'

I had applied a couple years earlier and had gotten the dreaded "overqualified" bit.

Now that Ive been here a good while I let my true resume' be known and my boss is rethinking his overqualified reasons for not hiring.
Weren't they upset with you for lying about your resume??

Not saying it's bad, but just wondering.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:00 AM

I always have wondered if it isn't code for "too old." I've been hearing it for years.

I have no idea how I got my current job, as I am 22 years older than my boss and she hired three 23 year olds as soon as her boss went on maternity leave. Needless to say, I feel out of place.

The "girls" are nice enough to me though. Just the other day...I got my hair done a darker color and one of them said "It makes you look younger, not that you look old." LOL. Another one of them said I look "hip" (read younger).

Oh well, I am a middle aged woman who has gone from a size 4 to 12 in the last years, which sucks, and doesn't help me fit in better. But I digress.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
Overquailified is also code for Too Expensive.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Overquailified is also code for Too Expensive.
May be, but I have been told this after they told me what the salary range was and after the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment