Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times

Advertisements

I am intending to relocate to the Denver area, and therefore will need a job in the Denver area to support myself. Obviously in these times, conducting a job search from such a long distance just is not going to be affective.

So I was wondering if taking a "job trip" would be worth it? What I had in mind was to go out to the area for a week, and try to do some networking while there. Talk to some professionals, get some resume's around, get a better feel for the job market and what might be available that would be of interest to me.

I just wonder how productive or worthwhile it will be. Getting a lot of interviews ahead of time is likely to be difficult, simply due to the short window for timing. Also, based on my current leave schedule, the dates would basically be set. I think the most productive part would be getting some resumes around, and talking to folks to get a better feel for what is happening out there, and whether I really think moving out there right now is really going to be feasable or not as far as finding a job that is going to pay a livable wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
I whole-heartedly support such a plan. Where I live it's called a "PMV" - a pre-move visit - and we urge all potential newcomers to spend the money on it before making any commitment to moving. I realize that moving from stateside US to the US Virgin Islands is a little more substantial than moving from NY to CO but the basic premise holds true.

A PMV offers one the chance to find out about the different neighborhoods, check out employment opportunities and get a feel for whether the jobs are there or if even a little difference in lifestyle is going to be easy to adapt to.

Obviously get as much information about the area and available jobs before you go and then hit the streets running as soon as you arrive. You'll be surprised what you can accomplish in one week and most potential employers will be impressed that you've taken the time to visit personally and shown initiative.

Obviously you can afford to do it, so I'd say go for it. Good luck!

Last edited by STT Resident; 07-14-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
I think it's a good idea, provided that you do a lot of the legwork ahead of time. Contact the chamber of commerce, use LinkedIn or some other networking device to try to arrange some things, contact companies in your field, see if you can visit a local Rotary or other service club. The way you are presenting it ("I may be moving to the area and want a better sense of things") is better than saying you are looking for a job if you want people to talk to you - you might hold off on mentioning 'resume' until you see how the conversation is going.

I visited Denver twice recently and it's a great area. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Yes, it is an excellent idea. We did it before moving (rather quickly) up to this area. We have done it often in the past.

We had been looking to move 3 years. But no one replied to resumes or if they did, no jobs were offered.

My husband and I and our son came up to this part of NH/VT and scouted around to see if it was doable. We liked the area, there seemed to be jobs (at the time) and affordable apartments. My husband contacted a few employment places and they encouraged him to come by when we relocated.

So, yes, you need to scope it out. Decide if it has the right vibe. I have been to places I'd considered but once I got there, they were 'factory towns' or 'run down' or just 'not for us.'

Good luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I have done a little bit of pre-scouting on prior trips to the area. The last was two years ago, and it was at that time that I decided that Colorado was the right place for me. Since then, the long distance job search just has not been at all affective, which doesn't surprise me.

I feel that if I keep sending and waiting, many more years will pass and nothing is going to change. So I want to try and jumpstart some progress here.

Any other suggestions on exactly what I should do ahead of time? Contact some companies and businesses, try to do some networking ahead of time to set something up. Get an idea on what areas/neighborhoods I might want to inspect closer in person. Maybe contact some headhunters, see if I can meet with them and get some impressions from them as well.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
I think a lot of it depends on the type of work you are looking for.

We take applications/resumes from walk-ins. We only hire local candidates--BUT in a case like yours where you had a set move date and were in teh area job hunting on your dime, that would tell us you were serious, and we'd consider you if we had an opening.

If nothing else it will give you a feel for the job market out there. If people tell you they aren't hiring, ask how long it's been since they last hired someone and if they think they might be hiring in the foreseeable future.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
I've been doing these pre move trips for the past year to different places. I think it's a great way to feel out a place, see who the major employers are, etc. I found though, that regarding job hunting, there wasn't anything really that I could do in person that I couldn't do online. The chamber of commerce, the employment commission, employers, etc., will ultimately direct you to their website, even if you visit in person. Employers really rely on the online application process more than ever, and other than very small businesses, the days of door to door self marketing are over. Even if you get to an HR rep, they'll take your application and that's about it. It's not like you will speak to anyone other than the gatekeeper. This is just the reality. I've been trying to get back to Texas and my best friend wants me to take a leave of absense and stay with her while I look for a job. What she doesn't understand is that I could be there for 2 months and nothing will come along during that time because ultimately you have to go through the online process instead of knocking on doors. I could do that waiting here and still be working. It would make more sense for me to just quit my job and move in with her and hope to find something, but I'm not willing to do that yet. So make the trip more about the area. Definately hand out resumes, but don't get discouraged. Lots of employers want you there already, rather than intending to move and not yet there.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 AM

I am not really tied down to a particular field.

I am coming from government where I adudicate education claims. Indirectly, the skills would apply to a wide range of adjudication areas, insurance, medical, etc. Insurance would be close fit to my skills which I have been using recently, if not my exact knowledge base.

The biggest problem is the actual material I have dealt with isn't widely in use outside of my present position, other than maybe in the education sector. So a move to insurance will put me more in line for entry level.

I have been searching government positions too, but just like the private sector, most won't give consideration unless your in the area. Bureau of Land Management has some positions in Lakewood I would be good at and interested in, but to get thru their screening I would need to be local too.

I have some interest in records management and integrety as well, and have noticed some positions online in the area. I am computer savy, but not professionally trained which can hurt with some of these positions that require more IT background. Other's deal more with the maintenance and integrity of records.

I suspect I would be looking more at entry level positions regardless, which increases the competition and lowers chances. However, with my experience being with a knowledge set of such a narrow focus that isn't in widespread use, I am not sure there is much of a way around it, and I am interested in some change anyway.

Getting a feel for the market, and a better feel for particular areas, costs, etc, would be important. I just want to make sure I make as good of use of the time as possible.

Thanks again for the reply's!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
We did, we moved from Seattle after checking out Denver two times. Sadly husband and I were laid off and now we are looking elsewhere. Our fields are construction,which is Dead here and Medical office, for which there is little jobs and a lot of competition. I think I have put in 150 resumes and no responses other than "we have received 300 resumes for this position" But yea, we are doing another scout trip to Chicago area in a month, hopefully it goes better than this one did. Good luck....

Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,738,144 times
good luck with this.
9/10 it won't work. companies redirect you to apply online (which has already been stated in this thread). temp agencies will not help you if you don't already live there.

it sucks, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment