Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,383,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedinNJ View Post
They have to wear white shirts but only will provide 2, so if they cant wash them they just wear dirty shirts.
I don't know about New Jersey, but in California an employer doesn't have to provide uniforms - they can require the staff to provide their own white shirts, or dark pants, etc. So if this restaurant is providing them with two white shirts, that sounds more than fair to me.

As for the laundry issue - there is no problem if you wash the shirt you wore that day, every night, before bed. Just make it a habit, and it's not a problem.

Quote:
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Sunday was considered time & 1/2.
Once again, I don't know about New Jersey, but in California overtime is not based on days of the week, or on the time of day, it's based on the total number of hours worked in a day or week. Sundays are typically one of the busiest, if not the busiest day of the week - so if you work in restaurants, you most likely expect to work Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,279 times
Quote:
I know someone who works in a restaurant here in NJ & is being treated very unfair! It's not just one person but it's the entire kitchen staff that is being mistreated. For instance; paychecks are never ontime, every Friday they are told to come back to pick up their pay & sometimes the manager isn't there to pay them. They have to wear white shirts but only will provide 2, so if they cant wash them they just wear dirty shirts. I know if I saw the cook in a nasty shirt I wouldn't eat there. They are working at least 50 hrs a week & are not getting paid for them! & correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Sunday was considered time & 1/2. Well the staff was told management doesn't have to pay them so the staff is basically working for free!!!! So not fair! What kind of establishment is this & what can these employees do to fight poor management? They are CLEARLY robbing them.
They can make a wage claim with the NJ DOL Wage and Hour Division.
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | File a Wage Claim

There is a form to fill out here:
http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/for...sse/mw-31a.pdf

A portion reads:
Quote:
Please check the reason(s) you are filing this claim.
􀂆 unpaid wages
􀂆 vacation, sick or holiday
􀂆 non-payment of last paycheck
􀂆 overtime
􀂆 commission, severance or bonus pay
􀂆 improperly classified as an independent contractor (while employed in the construction industry)
􀂆 minimum wage
􀂆 shortages or deductions
􀂆 Other (please explain below)
􀂆 bounced paycheck
􀂆 company uniforms
Explain why you believe the employer owes you wages. List the dates and hours for which you believe wages are due.
Attach additional sheets if necessary.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,789 times
Absolutely! We all understand Weekends are a part of the schedule but wouldn't YOU want to be paid for them??? Ok maybe I wasn't too clear....for instance the staff was just told on Monday 11-7-11 that they had to work 57 hrs instead of the already 50 hours they had been previously working. The managemnt already owe the money from the previous weeks. They are getting paid for about 30 hours instead of the 50 or 57 hrs they are working. To top it all off someone overheard the MANAGER say that he hates foreigners and wants to get rid of them because they are stupid! Not for nothing, as an American, no matter what race you are, you should be treated with respect and paid for THE HOURS WORKED whether its time & 1/2 or not. Everyone deserves their pay. I just know for a fact that the manager is ripping this staff off so that he & his girlfriend (who by the way is also a mangager in the same restaurant) can have a good time & it simply is not fair! I'm going to print out a couple of the Labor Forms & hand them to the employees. Im sick of it!!!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,279 times
Quote:
Absolutely! We all understand Weekends are a part of the schedule but wouldn't YOU want to be paid for them??? Ok maybe I wasn't too clear....for instance the staff was just told on Monday 11-7-11 that they had to work 57 hrs instead of the already 50 hours they had been previously working. The managemnt already owe the money from the previous weeks. They are getting paid for about 30 hours instead of the 50 or 57 hrs they are working. To top it all off someone overheard the MANAGER say that he hates foreigners and wants to get rid of them because they are stupid! Not for nothing, as an American, no matter what race you are, you should be treated with respect and paid for THE HOURS WORKED whether its time & 1/2 or not. Everyone deserves their pay. I just know for a fact that the manager is ripping this staff off so that he & his girlfriend (who by the way is also a mangager in the same restaurant) can have a good time & it simply is not fair! I'm going to print out a couple of the Labor Forms & hand them to the employees. Im sick of it!!!!!
Yes, of course we all want to be paid for all hours worked; who wouldn't? You were clear, and making a wage claim is the way to make this or any employer know they can't get away with not paying employees their full earnings, and delaying the payroll checks beyond the customary pay date.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
So my employer haven't give my salary its supposed to be I will receive at the beginning of this months. Its almost the end of the month. I keep calling them and keep telling me its been mailed but I haven't receive any. Should I report them?

Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapu View Post
So my employer haven't give my salary its supposed to be I will receive at the beginning of this months. Its almost the end of the month. I keep calling them and keep telling me its been mailed but I haven't receive any. Should I report them?
What you should do is start a new thread.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:51 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
If you hang out with friends that drink and drive does that absolutely mean you drink and drive as well? Think about it........
People hang out with others who are like them or have things in common. I'm not going to hang out with a cocaine addict....because I don't do drugs.

But who is going to hang out with a cocaine addict....another cocaine addict.

A random drug test is random. They can discriminate all they want....it is random. They can randomly drug test me 4x a day. Who feels violated about this crap. I have to pee everyday......might as well pee in a cup and have some technician play with my urine on the companies dime if they want to be paranoid.

Also what is up with the 7 different questions on here.

Again...also, what type of idiot posts where a company is and their telephone number....were not going to report it.

This thread is junk.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
i work for a day care in queens and often my boss is late on pay.This time around we have been waiting for 3 weeks to get paid i work at least 100 hours a week.Every time someone ask her about pay she gets mad and storms off. she also runs a day camp and from what we all see she robs the city blind for money she doesn't do anything for the kids only pockets the money.i am beyond upset and i need some advice .someone please help!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,441,249 times
Call the DOL. As for the fraud with the city I'm sure the city had a number or department for reporting fraud.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,580,356 times
If the City or State has a DOL find out what they can do for you first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment