Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM

142 posts, read 362,444 times

Advertisements

Am I being too "liberal" by accepting to go to a business dinner with a manager of a company who provides services to me/my company and his boss? I don't think there is anything inappropriate in this.

My husband, on the other hand is livid and causing a huge problem, telling me that "decent married women don't go to business dinners alone with men" Well, it's not a one on one deal, and I don't have any other colleagues to take with me of a management level, as I am the top level manager (and only one) at my regional office.

I know both hosts, and one of them is older, married and the other doesn't prefer women anyways.

My husband is from latin america so I think part of it is cultural but he's telling me that out of respect for him, I should not go. Well in my opinion, to stay ahead in my job and career, and play the manager role, I need to accept the invitation, and I want to accept the invitation. I think it will be a nice dinner with conversation about our industry.

My husband has always been more jealous than normal, and I really don't want it getting in the way of my career, that is just starting to go the way I'd always wanted.

Your thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
This is a business function and unless your spouse is actively involved in the company in a decision making function he has no business attending the dinner unless the invitation included spouses.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Ask your husband if he would think twice about attending a business dinner with two female professionals. His attitude will hold you back in your career and he needs to trust you to do what is right. Latin or not, he's off base.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I was married to a Latin american man and I divorced him pronto . He started the jealous card with me too and I was doing nothing wrong and he was so jealous and I could not handle it and it got me fired from 2 jobs and that was the last straw . He cursed my boss out in the lobby of my office and the boss told me to collect my things I was done working there . I went home and the next day I moved out to my moms house and saw a divorce lawyer . i had , had enough and one day you will too . Your husband is totally out of line . He should stay home and keep his mouth shut .

Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
My husband has always been more jealous than normal, and I really don't want it getting in the way of my career, that is just starting to go the way I'd always wanted.

Your thoughts??
DO NOT let your husband's over-the-top jealousy get in the way of a career you're really happy about and is going well. The only reason not to go to this is because you're a women and they're men. You aren't going to stop being a woman and men aren't going to stop being in your networking circle, so it will constantly hold you back if you decline invitations from men forever. Don't give in.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
1950 called. They want your husband's views back.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,471 times
You shouldn't have even mentioned it to him.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Am I being too "liberal" by accepting to go to a business dinner with a manager of a company who provides services to me/my company and his boss? I don't think there is anything inappropriate in this.

My husband, on the other hand is livid and causing a huge problem, telling me that "decent married women don't go to business dinners alone with men" Well, it's not a one on one deal, and I don't have any other colleagues to take with me of a management level, as I am the top level manager (and only one) at my regional office.

I know both hosts, and one of them is older, married and the other doesn't prefer women anyways.

My husband is from latin america so I think part of it is cultural but he's telling me that out of respect for him, I should not go. Well in my opinion, to stay ahead in my job and career, and play the manager role, I need to accept the invitation, and I want to accept the invitation. I think it will be a nice dinner with conversation about our industry.

Your thoughts??
My thoughts? You are married to a neanderthal who doesn't respect or trust you.

Dunno what you can do about that.

Why do so many women marry guys who don't respect or trust them? It makes no sense to me.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 AM

353 posts, read 905,921 times
I need more info before I jump on the "bash your husband" train.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
I think the husband might be having an affair with someone else....just my thoughts....

Your career and education will get you many places...do not mess up your opportunities because of his insecurities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment