Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 AM

355 posts, read 1,117,844 times

Advertisements

1. Your husband needs to swallow his pride/jealousy. 2. You're a professional and he needs to understand everything that that entails.

I'd extend him the same courtesies you'd expect if the situation was reversed (based upon the boundaries of your relationship). e.g: I'd tell my wife the restaurant we'd be at and I'd be sure NOT to get home reeking of alcohol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,727,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan78 View Post
I'm a psychology major....and I know human behavior much better than most.
Please - it does not take much to get a psych degree. And it certainly makes you no "expert".

And I say this as someone with a B.S. in Psychology and an M.S. in Developmental Psych from Hopkins.

Quote:
... he simply might not think its appropriate for a married woman to be having dinner with another man and I agree.
So I'm guessing you're a big fan of Freud. That would explain your reaction.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM

39 posts, read 135,911 times
Great perception, I'm a big fan of Freudian theories along with Ellis's views
I'm also believe that humans have a right to their individual views and beliefs, if we all had the same views and beliefs on every single thing then life would be quite dull.

Sometimes we have to make a decisions and choices in life in regards to what is the most important to us and to the OP is career more important than your marriage? Some of life's decisions aren't easy and when hastily made we sometimes regret things for life but only you can decide what is the most important in your situation.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,255,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Please - it does not take much to get a psych degree. And it certainly makes you no "expert".

And I say this as someone with a B.S. in Psychology and an M.S. in Developmental Psych from Hopkins.

So I'm guessing you're a big fan of Freud. That would explain your reaction.
I have to say the whole "I'm a psych major therefore..." is a real prize and too funny!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Really? So in a judgment based decision that many had in regards to the husband having jealousy or control issues means that they are better to say he has issues than someone who has studied behavior and states that this could possibly just be his views or beliefs? Please think on this and elaborate, I really look forward to your answer and bases for the answer .

People sometimes mistake views and beliefs for issues without considering that all humans don't have the same views and beliefs as others, who are you all or me to say that he has issues with jealousy or control? Correlation does not imply causation!

Last edited by titan78; 11-10-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Really? So in a judgment based decision that many had in regards to the husband having jealousy or control issues means that they are better to say he has issues than someone who has studied behavior and states that this could possibly just be his views or beliefs? Please think on this and elaborate, I really look forward to your answer and bases for the answer .

People sometimes mistake views and beliefs for issues without considering that all humans don't have the same views and beliefs as others, who are you all or me to say that he has issues with jealousy or control? Correlation does not imply causation!
Oh dear.

Erm.. everyone here gets that the husband has his views and beliefs. But lets be honest, generally views and beliefs come from experiences, training, upbringing, and a million other sources.

Just like.. thinking that this guy's cultural reference and belief set regarding women translates into some insecurity and rationale for why he can't trust that his wife is not all of sudden going to rip her bodice open and fling herself into some inappropriate behavior with two men.

And no-- a major in psychology that usually equates to around 32 hours of college credit is not going to make me pause and ooohh and ahhh over your "subject matter expertise" because quite frankly a BS in Psychology is only a mere introduction to Psychology and nothing more.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:00 PM

What, 32 hours! What college did u go to? Most any accredited bachelors degree requires a minimum of 128 credit hours. Add a masters and it's 30 more for a generalist or 60 for clinical (ability to be licensed).

All I can say is wow, who cares what his views or beliefs stem from they are his views and beliefs which he has the right to have.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,896,824 times
Quote:
All I can say is wow, who cares what his views or beliefs stem from they are his views and beliefs which he has the right to have.
All I can say is wow, and his wife also has the right to come onto a forum and ask others for opinions on a subject about which obviously she and her husband are clashing without having to wade through "advice" couched in textbook psychobabble.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What, 32 hours! What college did u go to? Most any accredited bachelors degree requires a minimum of 128 credit hours. Add a masters and it's 30 more for a generalist or 60 for clinical (ability to be licensed).

I'll respond more when I get home, but his beliefs are less interesting than yours at this point lol.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
People are saying, as well as the OP, that this man is jealous and controlling and he is. It makes no difference who has studied behavior. To the point, it makes no difference why he is jealous and controlling. What's important for the OP at this point is the potential consequences of him being jealous and controlling. Those potential consequences are professional in nature. This has been clearly spelled out by the OP. She's a manager, holds a higher position in her company, and with that position comes responsibilities and expectations on the part of her employers.

As far as you being a psych major goes, there is absolutely no reason that should be taken as a cred to ascertain this situation. Frankly, the opinions of professionals on this forum are probably more valuable to the OP because her concern is her career. Finally, you will find very few who are impressed with an undergrad psych degree, let alone an undergrad who is simply studying psych. If you were to actually implement what you've learned into your posts, that might be impressive. Thus far you have not. With that said, I'm not sure what a psych major can bring to the table via academic insight. Like Tober, one of my undergrad degrees was in psych as well and I can't say it really lent to behavioral insight. Perhaps it's different for you, tho, we won't know until you bring it to the table.

Quote:
First off, you clearly have no idea what the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" means. Two correlate variables have not been addressed, aside from his tendencies and culture. That's a moot point given that her concern is the career. Second, there is no question that he is jealous and controlling if what the OP says is truth and we can only assume as much given this platform. He doesn't want her dining with male colleagues because that's not what decent women do. That's jealousy. That he is trying to sway her from professional obligations is controlling. If you don't think this is the case, specifically state why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment