Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 AM
mwv

207 posts, read 675,592 times

Advertisements

The OP is clearly not a military person. Forget that.

He needs to save enough money to get the heck out of where he is above all else. ASAP. Social and cultural environments that are conducive to one's life interests are critical in forming habits

I'd recommend Houston - it's the cheapest big city in the USA and has a very dynamic economy. One can get by without a car. There's a very big art scene right under the surface. After Texas residence is established, he can enter the University of Houston, as it has non-selective admissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,125,878 times
Get out of the small town, go to a big city, and get a job, go to school, or both.

Take out student loans, work on campus as a groundkeeper to get tuition remission, go on welfare if you need for a few months. Your current environment does not seem to work for you, you seem to have no opportunity, and financially it is killing you. Take a job waiting tables, or dishwashing if you have to in order to support yourself. It will be temporary, and give you a chance to change directions.

Make the change. It is likely to be ramen noodles for a few years, sharing an apt with others, taking the bus, but in 5 years, you will be glad you did it.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 PM

1,589 posts, read 3,564,229 times
Become a journalist. Start as a freelancer and then work your way up from there. You could eventually (and relatively quickly) become an editor of a newspaper/website and use all the skills you've aquired to that point. Its a great way to use your brain in a small town setting. You are an excellent writer for someone lacking a college education. Your genius IQ definitely shows through. Many journalists, like Peter Jennings, never went to college. Keep in mind, starting out, you won't make much money, but work hard, break stories, don't get sued, and you'll do fine. Starting out, you may need to have a side job just to pay the bills, but the freelancing work will be so rewarding that it will help keep you sane. You could also write a book or two on life in rural Alabama, which people seem to find facinating. Who knows, it might get turned into a screenplay! AKA Forest Gump. You are talented -- don't give up!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,237,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area_Man7 View Post
Hi, long time reader, finally decided to start this thread.

I would basically like to ask for advice on how I can overcome my current situation and upbringing and actually DO something with my life and become more than a lowly wage worker in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

I was born to poor parents and grew up in abject poverty in a small town in rural Alabama. We barely had the essentials provided for us and our family was fairly dysfunctional. From the time I became self aware as a youth, I knew that I wanted more for myself.

The culture in which I was brought up is one that really doesn't place any importance on education and success. Our school systems are deplorable and the job market here is terrible. Everyone around me was on welfare and it was basically taken for granted that life consists of finding a "good job" as soon as you were old enough then you got married and had children and that was that. A "good job" around here is one at a factory or a mill where you make just above minimum wage and get to work 40 hours a week. I didn't go to college after high school because I never really considered it an option. College was openly discouraged and laughed at as being the pursuit of "uppity rich people and snobs" by everyone I knew. There weren't college prep programs in my high school and I didn't really think it was ever an option.

I started working to support myself at 17 and have been ever since. I've worked at a few retail stores, grocery stores, a couple of factories, basically whatever I could find to make ends meet. I've always been interested in creative pursuits (which are also mostly frowned upon in this region) and started teaching myself computer skills, graphic design, video production, and other similar things a few years ago. I'm of above average intelligence with a tested IQ in the genius range. I consider myself a talented artist and writer as well as a musician. The thing is, I just don't know what to do now.

I'm out of work and have been for months. I'm staying with a friend and am falling behind on my bills. I've been actively looking for work in the area and have had no luck thus far. I'm clean, intelligent, and present myself professionally. I just want to DO something with my life. I don't want to get another factory job and live as a grunt manual laborer here in the middle of nowhere.

I am bored here. There's nothing to do. I don't go to church or enjoy football and drinking so my entertainment options are limited. I don't have children. I'd like nothing more than to move to another part of the country, preferably in or near a large metro area, but I don't feel like I have any options. I'm totally broke now. I don't know many people. I don't have professional or alumni connections. My family is of no use to me in that respect. I feel like I have a lot of talent and potential and could go far in the right environment, but how do I get myself to that place? I know that if I go to a big city and try to work in the industries that I'm passionate about (photography, graphic design, video production, music, multimedia, the entertainment industry, writing, etc) then I'll be competing with guys who have Ivy league credentials, clothes that cost more than my car, a network of industry friends, and a professional portfolio.

Am I doomed? Do I have a chance? I'm pushing 30 and feel like I'm wasting away but options or ideas just don't seem to be presenting themselves. Will I ever be able to escape my unfortunate circumstances? I just fee like I'll never be able to rise above all of this and really make something of myself?

Thanks for reading all of this, your honest thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.
Well, since you're 30 and have been working since you were 17 and have nothing to "do" to spend your money on, chances are you have a nice little nest egg saved up.

I'd travel. See the sights, spend some time on the road.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,773,175 times
Ya know......I been on this forum for quite a while now. There are a lot of dumb dumbs. Anyone with half a degree of intelligence can tell after reading the first few words of a post but it is not proper to insult them. YOU I can tell without any doubt are well above average intelligence.

From there I have no good advice really. As a business owner for 30 years I always have good valuble advice but in this economic depression your options are limited. In past recessions there was always a few bright spots around the country where jobs were still available and people would just move where the jobs are. In this depression there is no place to go. The only really bright spot is in the DC areas where govt workers all have very high salaries and job security. Hell.... govt workers can even get caught stealing and rather then being fired they are instead promoted. They have no fear of spending.

There are so many many people in your shoes. Smart, full of good
entrepreneurial ideas, lots of oomph and ready to rock but no money to make it happen. Can you teach? Sheesh even the colleges have adult night school and you dont need a teaching degree. That's a good starter job. I still do that and I do it for free because I want my trade to live on.

Just my input.....sorry no awesome advice or magic wands. There are none in this depression. It's real real bad out there.

Good luck to ya man. Dont be a one post one hit wonder. Come back and join us.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM

10,841 posts, read 14,985,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Go to school. You are way too smart to fit in where you are. Get loans, eat ramen, do whatever you have to but go.
Exactly what I told him in a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ya know......I been on this forum for quite a while now. There are a lot of dumb dumbs. Anyone with half a degree of intelligence can tell after reading the first few words of a post but it is not proper to insult them. YOU I can tell without any doubt are well above average intelligence.
I was very impressed. This kid is far brighter than the average and I can tell in reading his post he can do whatever he wants to do if he goes for it.

I advised no debt, I was thinking of something like a car that would bog him down tied to a job in order to make payments, or getting involved with a girl and having a family to early.

I hope he keeps us posted.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 PM

12 posts, read 28,686 times
Wow! Thank you all for the outpouring of support! A little encouragement goes a long way with me since I feel that's something that's really been missing for a large part of my life. I think we're all on the same page here in regards to much of the advice.

I do currently have a wonderful and supportive girlfriend and we've been together for a couple of years now. We're very strict about contraception since we seen first hand many people our age saddled with unexpected children that basically lock them in to an even more difficult situation in life.

I went down the slippery slope of debt a few years ago and ended up filing for bankruptcy after my divorce. I learned a lot from the experience and for that I am grateful. The whole thing basically wiped me out financially and was a contributing factor to my current situation, but I feel enlightened by the effects of those past mistakes. I do currently own a car and I'm making payments on it, but that was an absolute necessity. I don't have much other debt, it's the unemployment that's making things rather stressful right now.

I am currently working on developing a plan to position myself to start doing freelance work in the area. This is something I've been thinking about for a few months now. I honestly don't expect to be able to pull in a good number of jobs since the area is so depressed economically, but, as someone posted earlier, no job is too small when you're starting out. I think I'm in a good position since I'm very adaptable and relatively adept in a broad range of disciplines. I'll keep this thread updated as to how it all progresses. As a previous poster posted, it's getting the initial money going to start a venture that's the hard part when you're broke. Coming up with $20 for business cards is a struggle right now, but I'll find a way to make it work. If I succeed, I think the experience would make great material for a book about growing a business from the ground up when you're starting with nothing but self-taught skills and a dream of a better life. Maybe I'll end up on the motivational speech circuit someday....?

Once I can get that going, the plan is definitely to save up as much money as possible over the next few years and to eventually move us to a major city where we would have more opportunities and a lifestyle more in keeping with our tastes and aspirations.

While I do appreciate the advice, the military is honestly just not for me. I'd make a terrible soldier since I hate getting up early and I really don't want to kill anyone if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoy22 View Post
I would highly recommend reading "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D Wattles...
I read that one about a year ago, actually! Good stuff. My girlfriend recommended it to me.

Thanks again for all the replies, I'll be around.

Last edited by Area_Man7; 07-23-2009 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Typos drive me crazy... :)

Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,071,329 times
Get free business cards from vistaprint.com.

Traditional journalism is struggling right now. There is money to be made, however, in blogging. Get your advertisers - that's where the money comes from.

I also agree 100% with the ideas of moving to a bigger city, going to college, and working in restaurants like the other students.

Good luck - don't settle for a life that isn't working for you!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,070 times
It's a bit difficult to recommend a career path as we do not know your personality type. Are you an introvert, extrovert, left-brain thinker, right-brain thinker, etc.? Obviously, it would be ideal if you landed a job in a creative industry, but times are tough for those folks right now.

You mentioned that you have an interest in computers. If you're tech-savvy, you may want to look into technical sales. You can even work while pursuing a technical degree (although it's not a necessity). If you are the gregarious type, but are able to understand and explain technical subject matter you should be able to do tech sales. It tends to pay very well and is more recession-proof than most jobs (especially if you have a knack for it).

Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 PM

314 posts, read 938,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I would highly recommend going to school. I know you said college is looked down upon, however having a quality education makes it so much easier to get ahead. There are plenty of ways to get financial aid today. Colleges also have career service departments and alumni networks that make job hunting much easier. My girlfriend comes from a very small town (and on her mom's side of the family, the first person to go to college) and she worked to get into college and is now in Medical School. It takes some work, and you have to be willing to take on some debt, but people of all ages go back to school. I know people who are in their 40's and just starting medical school. Going to college at 30 is not unusual at all.

If I were you, I would move to the closest bigger city, find a job to work during the day and go to college to get a bachelor's degree at night. What cities are you near? I am sure we could help point you in the right direction.
I agree with you, OP go to college, it will makes things easier. I was tired of working low paying jobs and went back to school later in life. It can be done. I am more happier now than I have ever been and college has changed my life for the best. I have a sucessful career that pays very well. Before I went to college i remember times when i didnt have a dime to my name. Now I look back on those days as distant memories. You can do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment