Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 PM

12 posts, read 28,591 times

Advertisements

Hi, long time reader, finally decided to start this thread.

I would basically like to ask for advice on how I can overcome my current situation and upbringing and actually DO something with my life and become more than a lowly wage worker in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

I was born to poor parents and grew up in abject poverty in a small town in rural Alabama. We barely had the essentials provided for us and our family was fairly dysfunctional. From the time I became self aware as a youth, I knew that I wanted more for myself.

The culture in which I was brought up is one that really doesn't place any importance on education and success. Our school systems are deplorable and the job market here is terrible. Everyone around me was on welfare and it was basically taken for granted that life consists of finding a "good job" as soon as you were old enough then you got married and had children and that was that. A "good job" around here is one at a factory or a mill where you make just above minimum wage and get to work 40 hours a week. I didn't go to college after high school because I never really considered it an option. College was openly discouraged and laughed at as being the pursuit of "uppity rich people and snobs" by everyone I knew. There weren't college prep programs in my high school and I didn't really think it was ever an option.

I started working to support myself at 17 and have been ever since. I've worked at a few retail stores, grocery stores, a couple of factories, basically whatever I could find to make ends meet. I've always been interested in creative pursuits (which are also mostly frowned upon in this region) and started teaching myself computer skills, graphic design, video production, and other similar things a few years ago. I'm of above average intelligence with a tested IQ in the genius range. I consider myself a talented artist and writer as well as a musician. The thing is, I just don't know what to do now.

I'm out of work and have been for months. I'm staying with a friend and am falling behind on my bills. I've been actively looking for work in the area and have had no luck thus far. I'm clean, intelligent, and present myself professionally. I just want to DO something with my life. I don't want to get another factory job and live as a grunt manual laborer here in the middle of nowhere.

I am bored here. There's nothing to do. I don't go to church or enjoy football and drinking so my entertainment options are limited. I don't have children. I'd like nothing more than to move to another part of the country, preferably in or near a large metro area, but I don't feel like I have any options. I'm totally broke now. I don't know many people. I don't have professional or alumni connections. My family is of no use to me in that respect. I feel like I have a lot of talent and potential and could go far in the right environment, but how do I get myself to that place? I know that if I go to a big city and try to work in the industries that I'm passionate about (photography, graphic design, video production, music, multimedia, the entertainment industry, writing, etc) then I'll be competing with guys who have Ivy league credentials, clothes that cost more than my car, a network of industry friends, and a professional portfolio.

Am I doomed? Do I have a chance? I'm pushing 30 and feel like I'm wasting away but options or ideas just don't seem to be presenting themselves. Will I ever be able to escape my unfortunate circumstances? I just fee like I'll never be able to rise above all of this and really make something of myself?

Thanks for reading all of this, your honest thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,430 times
Wow!

Thumb a ride to a big city if you have to. You are way too smart and innovative to continue wasting your time in sad small town.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,062 times
Perhaps try the military?Its not a creative way of life, but offers basic such as food, clothing, shelter, and training in a variety of areas.Its been a bridge for many to a better life, was for my father, got him out of a backward town, provided training, education, support, also, skills he could leverage on when out of the military. Something to be proud of all your life!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
The first thing you need to do is put together a portfolio of your work.

Then begin shopping it around locally, especially to small busineses. No job is too small. Menu design, business card design, logo design. You'd be surprised how much work you might be able to dig up IF you market yourself and price yourself fairly but affordably.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 AM

203 posts, read 852,862 times
The military could be a good starting point to get you out of your town but you don't want to end up being shipped off to Afghanistan, not meaning to sound unpatriotic but if you join the military now you never know. My nephew was killed in Iraq so I wouldn't advise someone I cared about to take that route.
You're obviously very smart judging by your writing and you undoubtedly have tons of potential for success. It sounds like your biggest obstacle is fear. It's smart to be fearful to a point, but not so much that you're frozen in fear. You don't want to be sitting there five years from now still unhappy.

I can't say I have any real answers but why not pick a metro area that appeals to you, say Seattle or Denver, anywhere. Then, start talking to people by way of forums in that area. The citydata forums are good and there are lots of others. You might be able to make connections, or even friendships, with people who can help you get started. Maybe you could find immediate, temporary work. A good option for that is working at a major league ballpark or something. I once found immediate work at a big arena parking cars for the summer. The money was actually pretty good.

I wish I had better advice for you, but sometimes just talking to people about your dreams and fears is a great way to make things happen. Good luck and go for it!!

Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
I would highly recommend going to school. I know you said college is looked down upon, however having a quality education makes it so much easier to get ahead. There are plenty of ways to get financial aid today. Colleges also have career service departments and alumni networks that make job hunting much easier. My girlfriend comes from a very small town (and on her mom's side of the family, the first person to go to college) and she worked to get into college and is now in Medical School. It takes some work, and you have to be willing to take on some debt, but people of all ages go back to school. I know people who are in their 40's and just starting medical school. Going to college at 30 is not unusual at all.

If I were you, I would move to the closest bigger city, find a job to work during the day and go to college to get a bachelor's degree at night. What cities are you near? I am sure we could help point you in the right direction.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 30,017 times
Get completely clear on what it is that you want out of life, specifc goals. How much money do you want to make... what would be the ideal day for yourself etc...
I would highly recommend reading "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D Wattles and the book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill. These will guide you with extreme direction on how to get more out of the life that you are living.
PM me if you would like to know what changed my life, I felt the exact same way as you, just needing a chance to prove myself.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,973 times
Go to school. You are way too smart to fit in where you are. Get loans, eat ramen, do whatever you have to but go.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

335 posts, read 939,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Go to school. You are way too smart to fit in where you are. Get loans, eat ramen, do whatever you have to but go.
Agreed. It can be done! I financed undergrad and graduate school with all loans because I had to, but it is worth it. I'm pushing 30 too, and I graduate next year with students anywhere from 25-55, it is not too late!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 AM

34 posts, read 116,011 times
I am sorry to hear about your situation. The best advice I can give is to suggest that you go back to school to gain some education that will lead you to better opportunities. Assess your skills and aspirations, get professional advice, even college counselors can be very helpful as well. Seek out financial aids and find a program that is right for you. Don't feel sorry for yourself, you can still make a change in your current situation. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment