Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,269,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Thought about it Family Guy. I am a prolific writer, but the state of mind I'm in right now isn't very conducive to creativity.
Have you ever thought of helping those who need a resume, etc. That is, for a fee.

This might open up some doors for you down the road. Also, thank you for serving our country.

I have an extended family member by marriage that works for the Department of Defense in PA - I was asking her last week if they hired workers that were older - 40's, 50's, 60's - and she said, definitely, especially those that have been in the service. On the Federal Government site, I notice there were 1040 openings in the DOD. Just a thought.

Last edited by Bette; 08-18-2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Added paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:42 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,215,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
A resume you took to target was never ever supposed to show you have a college degree

Its not the smartest thing to lie on resumes and applications. It will eventually catch up to you.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,310,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
A resume you took to target was never ever supposed to show you have a college degree
Yes, lately I've been leaving it off when appropriate. For more unskilled spots, I just mention going to high school and graduating and then the not so specialized jobs I've had.

I've learned to cater applications to what I think they want to hear.

Basically I screwed up in college anyway. I went for meteorology, flunked out of the program, switched to history. Then never really thought of what career path I wanted to do, just getting the degree. In hindsight, I kind of regret doing that. The move was a rather quick and poorly thought out move. Especially since I have no desire to teach.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 PM

28 posts, read 165,123 times
Default Great Support !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsV View Post
Synopsis, how about writing a book about your "downward spiral" that you have so prolificly described for us. I believe "necessity is the mother of invention," and I also believe "things happen for a reason". This may be why you have been put in this position...I don't believe God has abandoned you, rather I know he's with you through all these life challenges, wanting you to creatively use your talents to reinvent yourself, as so many of us are in the process of doing. And if you are wondering why God hasn't given you any help...just reread this thread. He has drawn all of us to your situation. We are all here for you, but you don't seem open to receiving the advice now...it'll be here when you're ready. I think depression can taint our perspectives and motivation - [I]you can do something in addition to looking for a job[/i], you can write your story. So many need to hear it and I can promise you (I'm older than you!) when this economy recovers, the stories that will be told will be inspiring and motivational to all of us needing to know we have not gone through this alone. I think writing this story won't earn you tomorrow's dinner, but you'll be well on your way to publishing the reality of a citizen's perspective of this economic downturn, when you do get on more-level ground. God won't resolve your problems for you, rather he will be with you in spirit as you struggle through them.
Just a thought, start taking notes and an outline will follow...or vice versa. This would make productive sense/use of these anguished times. I often envision J.K. Rowling, depressed, destitute and feeling abandoned writing her first Harry Potter series in a London Dunkin Donuts. God did not abandon her...rather he was with her in spirit guiding her to push her talents to a newer standard, and she did. She's not the exception Synopsis, she's just the most notable of them. Thinking of you.
How KIND u are to support not only synopsis but everyone who feels so discouraged by all this !

Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,668,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Sadly this isn't the first issue I've seen of having the armed forces turn their back on their own. A friend of mine was in the reserves and got called out for a couple of weeks last year. His work didn't beleive him and they canned him..which is supposed to be a big no-no. Nobody looked into it despite him filing a complaint, and I guess now he's being cut from the reserves and losing that extra income as well. He has 3 kids and is now 5 months behind on his payments....
At this point it's either going to rebound and get better or the whole system is going to fail and the money won't matter anymore...if you can hang on thru the winter I think we will see something happen one way or another...
That is a BIG NO NO! He needs to work through the Reserve to get that fought! A friend of mine went thru this and the gov't filed a law suit or threatened against his employer, not sure what happened by he got hired back! They cannot do that! But of course they can come back and say he was a lousy worker, late a lot etc... so it can get messy. As far as him losing his position he sould be able to swap to another unit EASILY. He might have to cross train or worst case scenario cross over to another branch and maybe lose a few stripes... But he can stay in assuming he is in good health and can work in the military.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:36 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,668,989 times
To the OP, I would keep on trying your best! Something will pan out. And stay in your home! WHEN you find a job you can work with the bank to get the loan modified as was suggested before. My neighbor abandoned his home and I was shocked to find out that he stopped paying in April of 08 and the house is still vacant! He just left a few months ago too! (Saw the paperwork that was stapled to the front of the house, when it goes into Foreclosure and saw the date) so apparently it is taking a year or more! Hang in there!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:39 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,185,674 times
The OP--my great and wonderful friend-Synopsis-is no longer a member.
If you see this Synopsis-please email me. I miss you and worry about you.

Hugs!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post

Hugs!

Synopsis, if you're reading this, I'm very concerned also. Please let someone hear from you.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,355,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Synopsis, if you're reading this, I'm very concerned also. Please let someone hear from you.
Same here! What in the world happened? Wasn't Synopsis a moderator?

Synopsis, you can email me through my profile.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,758,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post

Hugs!
Yes, I'm very concerned about that, too.

I PM'd one of the senior mods asking if they know what's going on with him. I sure hope he is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment