Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
OK, I was just being silly, but seriously there are a lot of black people at gov't jobs, and don't tell me there aren't some shady hiring practices going on.
One way to get a foot up on a government job is to be a veteran. There is a much higher ratio of minorities in the armed forces than white people when compared to total population. Anyone willing to put their life on the line for the country should be rewarded with hiring preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
I work for the feds, I know. But there are entire DEPARTMENTS (~50 people) that are 100% black. You can't tell me there is a little bit of preferential treatment going on.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
One way to get a foot up on a government job is to be a veteran. There is a much higher ratio of minorities in the armed forces than white people when compared to total population. Anyone willing to put their life on the line for the country should be rewarded with hiring preference.

It sounds to me like you are debating to just debate, pretty much any government job is going to give hiring preference to minorities regardless of qualifications.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It sounds to me like you are debating to just debate, pretty much any government job is going to give hiring preference to minorities regardless of qualifications.
Not at all, just adding in specific and factual information.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM

29 posts, read 142,077 times
but if they're only hiring the minorities (any race other than white)...does not that make the whites the minority as far as getting a fair chance at a job?...........this topic got way out of par...

How hard is it to get a job with the TSA?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate81 View Post
but if they're only hiring the minorities (any race other than white)...does not that make the whites the minority as far as getting a fair chance at a job?...........this topic got way out of par...

How hard is it to get a job with the TSA?
Bottom line, I think it depends on the area that you want to work in. I know in some areas they are having a hard time filling jobs, in other areas it's very competitive.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
um, those things have nothing to do with political correctness, what does being honest have to do with a "police state"?

this may come as a shock to you but many other countries have freedom of speech, of press, etc. we're not the only ones. and in those countries PC talk isn't nearly the rage it is here.
The post that I was responding to implied that admitting moslems into the military was a bad idea, only done because of political correctness.

I am saying that "all men are created equal" and "innocent until proven guilty" are the principles that we should abide by, and that irrational prejudice against moslems is xenophobic and bigoted.

In case you did not understand, I was being sarcastic.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The post that I was responding to implied that admitting moslems into the military was a bad idea, only done because of political correctness.

I am saying that "all men are created equal" and "innocent until proven guilty" are the principles that we should abide by, and that irrational prejudice against moslems is xenophobic and bigoted.

In case you did not understand, I was being sarcastic.
Being accepted into the military is not a criminal trial. He is innocent until proven guilty in the upcoming criminal trial. It's not just the fact that he's muslim, it's that he's a muslim who empathizes with terrorist groups, and our government failed us. Fort Hood was a terrorist attack!

Maybe the TSA should leave us alone at the airport and descend upon military bases. They're really good at chasing the last attack (a.k.a. closing the barn door after the horse has left).

Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
plenty of room bek high turnover.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:55 AM

29 posts, read 142,077 times
thx huckelberry....hopefully someone will quit and i can get in i really need a job 13+ months unemployed now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment