Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randysavage69 View Post
Foodservice and retail generally rip you off when it comes to hours and benefits. These companies make BILLIONS in ****ing profit, and all they have to show for it is a measly 7 bucks an hour?? Limited benefits (if any)? And not even getting 40 hours like you ASKED or wanted but 20-30? ****...

I remember when I got a job at Walmart (of all places), and I was able to work there for the summer before going back to Mizzou for the school year. I was a pretty competent employee, and I always showed up. However, for some STRANGE reason (even though they said I should reapply during Thanksgiving week, which I did), every time I reapplied, I didn't even get so much as a callback! Then I found out it was because they put OVEREMPHASIS on their dumbass online assessment. I had a "tier-2" score, which is ****ing ridiculous. I mean, how can you POSSIBLY judge someone's worth as an employee based on a stupid hypothetical test? Is this even scientific?

When I was working at Walmart, I'd generally only get about 28-32 hours a week, even though I ASKED for 40 (REAL full-time), but apparently they have a weird policy of not letting people work full-time until they pass some evaluation 90 days after hiring? It's so f*cked up. I remember hearing in many interviews as well, especially for Blockbuster (my most recent), that "only the manager is full-time", and everyone else is part-time, which makes no ****ing sense. If I want full-time, GIMME FULL-TIME! UGH! It makes your head spin.

I now work at Pizza Hut, and I've been there since last August. It's the worst job ever, and I'd quit if it weren't for the ****ty job market we currently have. I only get $7.45/hour to make pizzas almost every night of the week, and there's not a whole lot of fixed scheduling. It's based on "how busy are we on this day and who do we have working." It's even worse than Walmart in that regard.

And the benefits? HA! All I got offered was a 401k plan and health insurance!! NO VACATION DAYS, no nothing! I work damn near 30 hours a week, and from what I recall, Pizza Hut calls 30 hours "full time" or some **** like that, so why the hell can't I at least get a little MORE in terms of benefits?? I accidentally stumbled upon a list of benefits for PH managers on a website about 15 minutes ago, and obviously while they're much bigger than packages for regular employees, it's still pretty skimpy for that kinda position. Pay can be anywhere from a measly 27 grand to 45 grand (for a MANAGER??). My mom works as a freaking admin. assistant in an architectural firm (small or medium-sized), and she makes 43 grand a year!

I've also heard from sites like Ripoff Report (or some other job-related site) that a LOT of PH managers are really pissed off at upper-management for being treated like crap when they bust their asses trying to run the franchises. I guess it's no wonder it trickles down into ****ty pay and skimpy benefits for lower employees.
You act like Walmart and Pizza Hut owe you something. They don't. If you want full time, go get it from an employer that wants full time.

I hate to break it to you, but there's a big difference than Pizza Hut and an architectural firm. I'd surely expect a manager at pizza hut to be paid less than an admin assistant at an office.

If you picked up a stone carved ripoff report from 5000 B.C. about working in retail, you'd see the exact type of complaint. Retail is not a rewarding field.

I get it though, you're venting. That's fine, but your employers are not at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,657,707 times
Goodwill and Bealls offer health benefits for their part-timers, though you probably have to pay a lot for them. BJ's Wholesale club, you have to work for them for a year before they roll you over to full-time with benefits. I just got a part-time job at Office Depot. I recently got in the mail offer of health benefits from Cigna (which I hear sucks) through Office Depot. I don't know how much it costs, but I am sure it is expensive. They aren't offering health benefits, it's just I can use their group health benefits at my own expense.

I have a friend, who's daughter worked for Racetrack gas station. They were paying her $9 to start. She was doing really well and they had her on the fast track for management. Unfortunately, she screwed up and had a store/station manager who disliked her and was waiting for a screw up. They fired her 2 weeks before she was due to start manager training program.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
OP, I'd try WalGreens. They make every effort to provide what they call f/t (32 hrs), which qualifies for Health Insurance. Plus, they have a few spots per store, than are not mgmt, but go beyond minimum wage plus 2 quarters per hour.

But bear in mind, retail has always been the low wage, low requirement sector. Nothing wrong with that model, no matter how one cuts it, there will be such a sector of the marketplace.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,891 times
CVS does.

I just got fulltime at my job. You will also get benefits. Full time at CVS is over 30 hours.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:13 PM

18 posts, read 34,335 times
Why do so many retail and foodservice establishments seem so reluctant to hire full-timers? Is it JUST so they don't have to pay most (or all) benefits, or is there some kind of 'higher' reason for it?? Please tell me there's a higher reason. At least THEN it'd be a little more comforting rather than knowing these incredibly-profitable firms are just cutting back any way they can like super-cheap SOBs.

God, American execs. are so short-sighted. They offshore good jobs to low-regulation places like China just to save a little money to "stay competitive", and then we wonder why there's LEAD IN OUR DOGS' FOOD or more lead-filled toys!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Why do so many retail and foodservice establishments seem so reluctant to hire full-timers? Is it JUST so they don't have to pay most (or all) benefits, or is there some kind of 'higher' reason for it?? Please tell me there's a higher reason.
Retail and foodservice have very high turnover rates for various reasons. So most - not all - chain retailers hire all of their new employees on a part-time basis. Those who do a good job and seem likely to stick around and take advantage of opportunities for advancement in the future are often promoted to full time fairly quickly.

So if you're thinking of making retail your career, make this clear as it may make a difference. It's demanding and not for everybody, but for some companies these positions are very financially rewarding.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 PM

29,834 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Foodservice and retail generally rip you off when it comes to hours and benefits. These companies make BILLIONS in ****ing profit, and all they have to show for it is a measly 7 bucks an hour?? Limited benefits (if any)? And not even getting 40 hours like you ASKED or wanted but 20-30? ****...

I remember when I got a job at Walmart (of all places), and I was able to work there for the summer before going back to Mizzou for the school year. I was a pretty competent employee, and I always showed up. However, for some STRANGE reason (even though they said I should reapply during Thanksgiving week, which I did), every time I reapplied, I didn't even get so much as a callback! Then I found out it was because they put OVEREMPHASIS on their dumbass online assessment. I had a "tier-2" score, which is ****ing ridiculous. I mean, how can you POSSIBLY judge someone's worth as an employee based on a stupid hypothetical test? Is this even scientific?

When I was working at Walmart, I'd generally only get about 28-32 hours a week, even though I ASKED for 40 (REAL full-time), but apparently they have a weird policy of not letting people work full-time until they pass some evaluation 90 days after hiring? It's so f*cked up. I remember hearing in many interviews as well, especially for Blockbuster (my most recent), that "only the manager is full-time", and everyone else is part-time, which makes no ****ing sense. If I want full-time, GIMME FULL-TIME! UGH! It makes your head spin.

I now work at Pizza Hut, and I've been there since last August. It's the worst job ever, and I'd quit if it weren't for the ****ty job market we currently have. I only get $7.45/hour to make pizzas almost every night of the week, and there's not a whole lot of fixed scheduling. It's based on "how busy are we on this day and who do we have working." It's even worse than Walmart in that regard.

And the benefits? HA! All I got offered was a 401k plan and health insurance!! NO VACATION DAYS, no nothing! I work damn near 30 hours a week, and from what I recall, Pizza Hut calls 30 hours "full time" or some **** like that, so why the hell can't I at least get a little MORE in terms of benefits?? I accidentally stumbled upon a list of benefits for PH managers on a website about 15 minutes ago, and obviously while they're much bigger than packages for regular employees, it's still pretty skimpy for that kinda position. Pay can be anywhere from a measly 27 grand to 45 grand (for a MANAGER??). My mom works as a freaking admin. assistant in an architectural firm (small or medium-sized), and she makes 43 grand a year!

I've also heard from sites like Ripoff Report (or some other job-related site) that a LOT of PH managers are really pissed off at upper-management for being treated like crap when they bust their asses trying to run the franchises. I guess it's no wonder it trickles down into ****ty pay and skimpy benefits for lower employees.
Well, it's your fault for showing up the next day, or whenever you were scheduled next. If your worth a full time position, than prove it and get one. I'm not trying to be a DB, but people want cheap crap, and the company can offer that by paying crappy wages to anyone willing to work for them. As such, this is why I have never chosen retail as my form of employment. Vote with your feet and earn a decent wage if you are worth it. As long as people will line up for minimum wage, they will only offer minimum wage. Supply and demand in action, and there is a glut of people like you.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Why does a person with a 4 year degree consider himself overqualified for retail? As a manager on top of that! Does that mean that a person with a 2 year degree is semi over qualified. I work at Macys, and we have tons of people with 4 year degree working for us. Non of them have a degree that has anything to do with retail. I thought over qualified meant that you are too knowledgeable for that kind of job. I must be all wrong.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 28,714 times
Quote:

When I was working at Walmart, I'd generally only get about 28-32 hours a week, even though I ASKED for 40 (REAL full-time), but apparently they have a weird policy of not letting people work full-time until they pass some evaluation 90 days after hiring? It's so f*cked up.
Kroger has a similar policy and its even more odd..well at least they do in Denver with their King Soopers chain however the catch is that after those 90 days King Soopers would usually "a find a way" to keep one part-time. Back in August 2008 I was hired by King Soopers and was told that after those 90 days I would get 40 hours and full union benefits.

Every day despite hearing from the managers "..GREAT WORK !!" and not one single complaint however on the 91st day I got a bad review and not only had King Soopers never did mentioned any of these problems, not one prior to the review but some of those "issues" were laughable such as me taking "too long cigarette breaks " ( Funny I dont even smoke ), and that I had a bumber sticker of a bear on the back of my truck and King Soopers felt I was "..making a political statement in support of legal gay marriage in Colorado.." The "bear" sticker BTW was from my high school football team in West Virginia..not about hairy gay men.

Anyway due to my "bad" review i was told that I will remain part-time. Not the first one who had this problem as since then I have meet many others who were in the same boat as I was.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
Seems to be the policy with Gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment