Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times

Advertisements

Doesn't look good.

Experts see a growing problem in American society - an abundance of college graduates (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091209/us_time/08599194608800;_ylt=AmzTHFCASRblz6l52Mm_vW8DW7oF - broken link)

Quote:
College Degrees More Expensive, Worth Less in Job Market

Employers and career experts see a growing problem in American society - an abundance of college graduates, many burdened with tuition-loan debt, heading into the work world with a degree that doesn't mean much anymore.

snip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
"Cognitive skills and self direction" were mentioned in the article.......Hmmmm.....

Anyway....being entrenched in the manufacturing industry for 25+ years, along with a B.Sc......

Fairly basic prerequisites for my field.

I s'pose just getting a business degree with a finance major prob'ly won't cut it any more.

I knew quite a few "kids" that worked at Rite-Aid, Jiffy Lube, etc. straight out of college. My best friend graduated with a chemical engineering degree and sold vacuum cleaners door to door for a while.

If the only work experience that you have coming out of college is flippin' burgers.....well, don't expect much. That's a glittering generalization though, as some of the youngsters are quite sharp and can pick up a good gig.

Go to college, study what you love.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Go to college, study what you love.
On the other hand, Go to college, study something that is useful.

You can always study what you want on your own time.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:27 PM

324 posts, read 573,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
On the other hand, Go to college, study something that is useful.

You can always study what you want on your own time.

I was always amazed how many people, mainly young ones, chose to study majors, that couldn't be utilised in the job market, or in rather limited way, at least. I've met a quite few of them to realise this sooner or later. After lesson had been earned, they went back to school for something useful (for a change!). However, going back to school means lot of time and money to be spent again...

Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM

303 posts, read 563,473 times
Wow, this is super depressing. Even though I am unemployed, I sure am happy I have a master's degree on my resume.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puglywump View Post
I have a master's degree on my resume.
What did you earn your Masters Degree in? What school did you attend?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 PM

303 posts, read 563,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What did you earn your Masters Degree in? What school did you attend?
Business and a state school in California. I didn't have much to choose from. Either a state school or a Catholic university or an off label school (read diploma mill).

Old 12-16-2009, 05:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post

I was always amazed how many people, mainly young ones, chose to study majors, that couldn't be utilised in the job market, or in rather limited way, at least. I've met a quite few of them to realise this sooner or later. After lesson had been earned, they went back to school for something useful (for a change!). However, going back to school means lot of time and money to be spent again...
I think some young people don't have the maturity to pick a useful major that will get them a job upon graduation. Then when you are young, you easily buy into the B.S. that colleges try to sell you about a job being high demand. They just want money. I went to college at 17 and was told by my university that elementary education was a high demand career and that I would be guaranteed a job upon graduation. Well, upon graduation I had to fill out 300 applications just to get a job. This was before the recession started. Now, I am unemployed and finding it difficult just to sub. I am also going back to school for speech pathology.

If I could do it over again, I would have worked for two years after graduation from high school. I would have allowed myself to explore the working world for two years so I could have gotten experience and maturity.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
The key when going to college is applying for some internship(paid or non-paid). Before you graduate, make sure you have worked as an intern or be part of the co-operate education program. This will help considerably once you graduate.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Wasn't this a problem in the 1970s as well? Too many educated people..?
(maybe I am watching too many episodes of All In the Family...).

I don't know why 'colleges' can't be held somewhat accountable for graduating all these people with false hopes.

The main one is the teaching is in need hoax. I was a victim of this in 1989...

So many kids graduate and think they are going to get teaching jobs. I just saw ANOTHER article online today about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment