Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

What if you stick with the life you are given, and don't concern yourself with what could happen. You'll work yourself into a tizzy if you start down the road of "What if's."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 03:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I cannot actually believe what I am hearing. There is no correlation AT ALL, between some getting chemo and what we are talking about here. Let me get this straight for the record: you guys would actually hire and keep someone in a CUSTOMER SERVICE POSITION, who would cuss at, get in fights with, and berate the CUSTOMERS? You would accept him doing this just because he did not take his medication, and you think he is protected by the ADA? It is obvious why we have problems in America if this is truly the case. I think the real case is that you people are not managers, and would have not one clue on how to run a business.
The ADA protects those with disabilities from discrimination in the employment process but the person with a disability has to be able to perform the job with or without accommodations. In the fictional scenario proposed by the OP, it does not seem that this person would be able to perform this job as the condition is not being controlled by medication. I am all for employment rights for those with disabilities but they need to be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodations and this individual seems to display poor people relation skills, which is essential for any customer service job. Perhaps the woman would be better off in a position where contact with the public is minimized at least until the condition is controlled. Employers are not required to make unreasonable accommodations and I believe that tolerating a rep driving away customers and negatively affecting their business is NOT a reasonable accommodations. It is a tricky situation though.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha1 View Post
I have been diagnosed with manic bipolar disorder with schizophrenic tendencies since I was 12 (I am 22 now). I take my medications religiously. I still have psychosis and I still get manic and depressed. The combination of the four medications I am on now do not fully control my symptoms to what is "normal" but they do help some. So if I am taking my medication is it my fault that I can't "keep [my] psychosis under control"? Should I not get a job? Or are you willing to put more money into the government for Social Security so it is easier for people with less work experience and people my age to be accepted? Or maybe put money into the something that actually has jobs that don't involve the public.

I agree that people who are not taking medication should not be hired. But... I do take my medication, see my therapists, and go to support groups all the time and yet I would say I have problems with dealing with the public (I easily break down, need more breaks and maybe more days off; ect.) I also have applied for Social Security because my doctors believe it is too difficult for me to work and be healthy and I was turned down. Now I am in the third step and must represent myself in court because no disability lawyer will accept my case because I do not have at least 5 years of full-time work that I paid into the social security system and because I am young.

So you are telling me that I can not work. What am I suppose to do? My family is no longer with me. Do I just go homeless on the streets?
There are jobs that would be more appropriate that does not involve heavy public contact. I would advise you to connect with your state's department of rehabilitation or disability support services to assist you with locating a job that would best meet your needs.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 9,867 times
Wow why dont we just kill off any one who has a disability like bipolar I do believe that any one with a disorder is better off on med but the right meds I am bipolar worked 25 years as a machine operator in a print shop. Comp pretty much replace my job. so I went to school for massage passed the national test and back ground check and now I may not be able to get a state license because I am bipolar? Is that fair. It is not good for any one to suffer from the rage or any person I agree about that bipolar is used so widely for everyone who dose not fit or has a bad day. I work at mine every day I treat it the same as if I was a diabetic do a mine check if running a little wild take care of it I do get tired of people using mental disorder of excuses. I a person is going to admit to been bipolar then they should do there best to take care of it. I get told all the time dont tell I dont have to tell someone I work for that I have the disorder but I do fell it fair I would tell it I had diabetes I my on occasion have to take a little break to get myself back in check no different than taking care of sugar level. I sorry for those people who had bad run in with any one but any one can have a rage proble at any time not just people with bipolar well hope u all have a great day

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM

I wish that there was as much help for people with mental disorder and they use to try to stop drug war. the bad thing in a lot of states even if u try to get help and dont have insurance they do nothing unless u are hurting yourself or someone else. I would suggest if u can find the book or group call pro recovery read it it really good written by a person with bipolar and also for other out there watch a true story called nobody child

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM

The one I really like I could not apply for a job because of my meds it was at a small lake just taking money for campers. but the person they hired was meth user which would u fell safer with me on med or someone meth out

Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM

Hay could u write a letter for me I decide to apply for disabilty I worked 30 years as a machine operator in a print shop was 3 from the top in production and now cant get a job because I am bipolar I was told that in the mid 80 I just happen to be hyper mania which work great for the job I did lots of energy and I love my job yea people thought I was a little off I talked no stop even to myself but at that time I love life alway telling story or jokes and the better my production was the happier so what I am reading is no one with bipolar should be hired wow glad the state of Kansas did not fell that way

Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Yea it is time for people to own up to there actions and quit using the excuse I agree to many people think the can do what ever it ok Iam bipolar It pisses me off because I work every day to be a good and giving person if I do something to another it is my fault 98 % of the time the other 2% is some has back me into a corner and that not good. but each person is different I hope some day they will have better treatment for mental illness but most of the time it is trial and ear and I just had a bout with med that were not good it is as bad a s a drug user maybe I just have such great support that I know when to keep top my self

Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM

yes i give my dr a hard time I know when my med work and when they stop working but it seem to me I go into my Dr tell him what going on and it well lets up your med It dose not matter I had not selpt for 3or 4 nights and 15 mim at there prices wow the brain is so hard at time to keep stable but learn you sign tell some u trust to let u know if they see them before u you do I am so lucky I had the time to study and good counselor and my sister to help me work though all of this

Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times
I did not know that bipolar equates screaming & yelling at people. I have my own company and that occurs in the so-called normal population. Sounds like someone needs to take an anti-hate pill daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment