Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Dave View Post
I did not know that bipolar equates screaming & yelling at people.
It doesn't... people really need to educate themselves on mental illness, before claiming they know anything about these issues. I personally suffer from OCD, and get sick of the ignorance surrounding this disorder - no, I don't wash my hands constantly, I don't check locks 50 times, and you wouldn't know I was OCD unless I told you. It's not always like you see on TV/movies, and can often be managed to the point of appearing "normal" (whatever that means). It also varies from person to person, and doesn't always manifest itself in the same behaviors. Some people with bipolar disease might rage, but not everyone who has it will.

That being said, I do agree it's a personal responsibility to manage these disorders. Certain behaviors should never be tolerated in the work place, regardless of their mental state... and if somebody can't control their rage, they probably shouldn't be in a customer-related position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,941,653 times
I think it is weird that so many people choose to label themselves some made up "disease." So many people on this thread have said, "I'm bipolar," as if that is their identity. If you ARE bipolar, if that's WHO you ARE . . . that is kind of mind-boggling. I think it would be much more useful to say, "I am a complex human being with many talents and traits and sometimes my moods are extreme" or something.

But to be proud and say, "I am bipolar," is like saying, "I'm gay and I'm proud." I don't understand the desire to identify with a so-called "disease."

Do people who indentify as "bipolar" want their headstones to read: "S/he was the most awesome bipolar" in the world." I mean it is beyond ridiculous.

If you have uncontrollable anti-social behavior that causes you to yell and scream in public, do you really think you should be out in public? It's almost like saying if you have the flu and are vomiting, you should have the right to go to work and vomit wherever you want . . . no, you have no right to do that, and you have no right to scream and yell at people in public either. God. When did people get so mixed up about what's acceptable and unacceptable behavior?

This just reeks of "ENTITLEMENT." The belief that you have the right to do anything you want and that if you don't get to do what you want at all times, you will sue and make people suffer.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:36 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I think it is weird that so many people choose to label themselves some made up "disease." So many people on this thread have said, "I'm bipolar," as if that is their identity. If you ARE bipolar, if that's WHO you ARE . . . that is kind of mind-boggling. I think it would be much more useful to say, "I am a complex human being with many talents and traits and sometimes my moods are extreme" or something.
So let me get this straight... you think mental illnesses are "made up?" I guess all of those doctors and scientists are quacks, right? You must be related to TKramar, LOL. I agree one shouldn't define themselves by a disease, but only a truly obtuse person would believe these psychological conditions are fake.

P.S. I am of course referring to people diagnosed with mental illness, not those who think an occasional mood swing makes them bipolar.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,941,653 times
You do understand that diseases are a construct, don't you? In terms of the DSM these maladies have certain criteria . . . a list of symptoms . . . if you have "x" amount of symptoms then you have the disorder . . .the disorders were arbitrarily thought of - someone said, "x" = bipolar. There is no scientific measurement for any of the disorders or diseases in the DSM . . .if you are truly into science, you would understand that these disorders and diseases are thought constructs.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,705,964 times
It is more than likely a choice. After all, if they were diseases, then doctors SHOULD be able to cure them.

But they can't.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:52 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,527,991 times
The major problem is that you don't know when they are on their meds and when they're off. These people are unpredictable and that can be dangerous if that person is a boss or higher up. I just left a job of 8 months where I suspected the director was seriously bipolar. Her "mood swings" were very extreme, sudden and without cause. Several times she was on the verge of striking someone or throwing an object. At that point, the police can be involved. In fact, I was fearful of this person. I resigned specifically when I knew she would not be in the office.Naturally,I gave no notice and just resigned on the spot with a boilerplate resignation letter which does not state my reason for leaving. Of course I cannot use this woman as my reference, and she was my supervisor. Because of this woman, the company has a very high turnover rate. In the 8 months I was employed there, someone would get fired or quit every 2 weeks; I was keeping track. Now do you think this person should be a "protected class?" So if she hits or slaps a worker, she should be excused in court because she has a "disability?" So if that person needs stitches and time off from work that's ok because she's "disabled"? Should this person be allowed to run a company?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,044,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It is more than likely a choice. After all, if they were diseases, then doctors SHOULD be able to cure them.

But they can't.
just like doctors should be able to cure cancer, AIDS and diabetes ...

Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 PM

I mean to say if the worker who was struck in the head by the bipolar boss needs stitches and time off, the boss should be excused because she is "disabled?"

Old 12-12-2010, 03:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,044,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
The major problem is that you don't know when they are on their meds and when they're off. These people are unpredictable and that can be dangerous if that person is a boss or higher up. I just left a job of 8 months where I suspected the director was seriously bipolar. Her "mood swings" were very extreme, sudden and without cause. Several times she was on the verge of striking someone or throwing an object. At that point, the police can be involved. In fact, I was fearful of this person. I resigned specifically when I knew she would not be in the office.Naturally,I gave no notice and just resigned on the spot with a boilerplate resignation letter which does not state my reason for leaving. Of course I cannot use this woman as my reference, and she was my supervisor. Because of this woman, the company has a very high turnover rate. In the 8 months I was employed there, someone would get fired or quit every 2 weeks; I was keeping track. Now do you think this person should be a "protected class?" So if she hits or slaps a worker, she should be excused in court because she has a "disability?" So if that person needs stitches and time off from work that's ok because she's "disabled"? Should this person be allowed to run a company?
The key thing is reasonable accommodations ... If the person with the disability is unable to form their job properly with reasonable accommodation then they are not protected by the ADA. A disability does not give someone an excuse to be abusive to colleagues and employees underneath them. The company should have dealt with this supervisor along time ago and no, that would not constitute discrimination. Sorry you had to be mixed up in all that.

It would be unreasonable for company to be forced to retain an employee who is a danger to themselves and to others. Also, it is unreasonable for an employer to be forced to retain an employee who is rude or obnoxious to their clients or who is unable to properly perform their job even with accommodations.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Having personally experienced working with a person who was bipolar, I don't believe that people who have serious psychiatric illnesses should be working and definitely not running companies. They should be on disability and at home. Maybe put them to work at home on the computer; like another poster said they are anti-social. They also make sane people go crazy. I don't care if they are a protected class and don't care about their "rights." They violate the rights of other people and not even blink. They are a danger to society if they are severe and are put with normal people. Nobody wants to work with an abusive, nasty screamer. One day she is smiling and happy, the next day she comes in and fires people for no reason or start destroying her office. They are often also delusional and paranoid. They see faults and are offended by things that they misperceive. It's pure hell to work with these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment