Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 04:08 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times

Advertisements

I find it a scary thought, how the younger generation in pretty much every country seems so familiar with our culture. Do you think it's a fad or will the whole world eventually act like we do?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:47 AM

221 posts, read 535,506 times
That would one uninteresting and uncultivated world.

No, the world won't be American.. Most people in the world are already far in front of USA in terms of how developed their societies are. I think in the future all countries will adopt the European welfare model and eventually the Scandinavian model.

USA is lagging far behind the rest of th west, I think they'll be more up to European levels in thr future, as future generations of Americans are likely to be more modern, like the euros.

In terms of culture, how can a country be American? I think that in terms if music and drinking and eating culture, the world will be a lot more alike, yes.. not sure I'd it'll be like in USA though. Overall usas influence on the rest of it's world has already seen it's golden days. In the future you can expect up and coming powerhouses like china, Russia, India, brazil etc to have a bigger impact on the worlds culture and societies.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 AM

112 posts, read 281,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I find it a scary thought, how the younger generation in pretty much every country seems so familiar with our culture.
Your what ?!
No offence, but almost everyone I know (in Germany) laughs at American "culture".

Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
In the future you can expect up and coming powerhouses like china, Russia, India, brazil etc to have a bigger impact on the worlds culture and societies.
I agree that the time of US-only influence is over but I really can't see Idian or Chinese pop culture having that much influence on our everyday life in the West. It is just too different.

The question is: What is American culture? And is there something like "American" culture or isn't it European culture in the first place since the majority of Americans are originally from Europe and brought their traditions there?
I do not really see American companies like McDonald's as a "cultural" influence on Europe. Our traditions and customs, however, are similar and have always been similar due to our common heritage. Can't say anything about the influence on non-European countries but I doubt that there is much influence when it comes to cultural things.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 AM

221 posts, read 535,506 times
Well, already in many places in europe you find way more Chinese eateries than American ones.. And in Norway, whenever young people want to eat something fast, they get a kebab.. Not a burger.

I don't see how the American "culture" can have any more effect on Europe.. It's not like were gonna take a step back and make good universities super expensive so only rich poplr get the best jobs, and were not going to make it expensive to get health care either.. And were not gonna make it hard to get welfare so well have tons of hobos and beggars in our streets.

So what more could the American culture do to Europe?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
The question is: What is American culture? And is there something like "American" culture or isn't it European culture in the first place since the majority of Americans are originally from Europe and brought their traditions there?
I do not really see American companies like McDonald's as a "cultural" influence on Europe. Our traditions and customs, however, are similar and have always been similar due to our common heritage. Can't say anything about the influence on non-European countries but I doubt that there is much influence when it comes to cultural things.
That is an interesting question, and I've thought about that myself. There really is no unique "American" culture, other than maybe Harley's, apple pie, stars n' stripes, football, and a few other things. Could it be the Hollywood pop-culture that is defined as American culture?

There are regional cultures within, from New York City's Wall Street, to California and Texas (which could be their own countries), Florida, New Orleans Cajun culture, The South, The Appalachians, The Pacific Northwest, The industry of the Midwest, the farms of the Great Plains, Alaska, and Hawaii (which has its own unique culture).

The main reason why there is no one American culture is because it is a mix of people descended from all over the world. So to answer the OP question, the entire world may never be American, but the opposite is true: America is worldly.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 AM

241 posts, read 742,743 times
America just pumps out so much entertainment and markets it worldwide. I hope other countries can start doing the same. There is the potential that trashy American entertainment can affect the youth in other countries. The UK is already starting to copy the trashy American shows. That said, it's apparent America's model for democracy and domestic and foreign policies are showing major problems and I don't think many developed countries, if any, want to copy them. Same for the poor planning in many metropolitan areas in the US.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
I find it a scary thought, how the younger generation in pretty much every country seems so familiar with our culture. Do you think it's a fad or will the whole world eventually act like we do?
Just because one culture is familiar with another, doesn't mean they lose their own cultural identity.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I agree that the time of US-only influence is over but I really can't see Idian or Chinese pop culture having that much influence on our everyday life in the West. It is just too different.

Culturally Americans are really outspoken and often have an arrogance about them. Kinda of an attitude that the entire world revolves around us. Let's start with the OP for example- "Will everyone eventually act like we do". Or how about the fact that most Americans don't know much about the rest of the world at all? Sheesh.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Are you referring to eating cheeseburgers and getting really fat???....or to listening to hip-hop and dressing/acting thuggish?

Yeah, I do notice europeans in particular getting some fairly large rings around their stomach...and grazing at starbucks all day, if that is what you mean...

But, actually, I think that is just the consumer culture...as big business talks, and big business moves quickly around the world.

I think that on the inside though, people of each culture is still drastically different...and a fat chinese person with a hip-hop shirt is still going to act significantly different than a fat american with a hip-hop shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World