Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 AM

304 posts, read 782,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No, of course not. The Middle East shares more with the rest of Asia than you'd think, eating rice, for example.
then you might as well add drinking water too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
then you might as well add drinking water too.
Eating rice is probably the thing that indicates a pan-Asian identity. While rice is eaten to a small extent in other countries (excluding Asian cuisine, obviously) like in risotto, this was long after Oriental influence to those regions. Rice has historically been a staple from Persia to the Phillipines, Malaya to Korea.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 AM

228 posts, read 810,336 times
Doesn't everyone eat rice... Brazilians eat a ton of rice... almost everymeal has rice and beans...

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
I like rice.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 AM

228 posts, read 696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Eating rice is probably the thing that indicates a pan-Asian identity. While rice is eaten to a small extent in other countries (excluding Asian cuisine, obviously) like in risotto, this was long after Oriental influence to those regions. Rice has historically been a staple from Persia to the Phillipines, Malaya to Korea.
The Majority of the world eat rice. All of Africa, the Caribbean, Central and South America eat rice.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
You did a horrible job at Latin America... Native American/Mestizo cultures is represented of latin america? maybe Bolivia, Peru, El Salvador... Stop making these maps and travel and research the countries just a little bit... the USA has more connections to latin america than north africa has with indonesia...

what? the native/mestizo culture make up the majority of hispanic america and the largest ethnic group in all of latin america.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post

I changed the map real quick to better reflect Islam, since having "Desert" = What should be Islamic nations does not make much sense. And also much of the former Soviet nations are ditching the Russian values they picked up under Communism and are becoming Islamic again. Indonesia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and several other nations are also thoroughly Islamic. India is predominantly Hindu but it still has 180 million or so Muslims, most in the north...So cant disregard that either.

African culture. Its all over Latin America. Cuba has a strong Afro culture present, and Brazil's north has the largest number of Africans outside of Africa, and it shows in the culture there. So I changed to that aswell.

Argentina is made up primarily of European descended people so to add it as Blue is a closer match than listing it as Latin American.

And as far as the Latin American color goes I would reserve that for Native-American/Mestizo culture, but thats just me. The way I have it represents Latin America fairly well.

I think there's a little too much green in venezuela because the majority of Venezuela is mostly of indian and white mix. and most of northern brazil is mainly indian and white mixed mean while coastal northeast is white and black mixed.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
What the hell is a "soviet" civilization?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,278 times
It looks alot Clash of Civilization by Samuel Huntington. I think he was wrong about Latin America being non western.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:53 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
Turkey's desert..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World