Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times

Advertisements

World's Most Liveable Cities: 2011 Economist Intelligence Unit Report (PHOTOS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Every year, that company always does that list. It is ALWAYS filled with mid-Europe countries (Switzerland, Austria, etc. - this year I see they put Finland instead). Than the rest is made up of Australian and Canadian cities. Every single time.

I think that company needs to travel more. I get the impression it was some German-speaking person from middle Europe who emigrated to Canada or Australia or went back and forth, and prefers only those three regions.

The world is an EMORMOUS PLACE...for me, there are AT LEAST 2-3 Asian cities that should always make that list. There should always be AT LEAST 1-2 American cities that make that list (I mean, really, the entire U.S. is ALL bad? Really?). They should at least make an effort to find one decent African city, there must be AT LEAST one.

But every year, year in and year out, they just list the biggest cities of Australia and Canada and fill in the gaps with a random European city or two.

Biased and ethnocentric.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I don't see it that way at all. Now what would be the prime criteria in your mind that makes a city livable? In mine the number one is Saftey from violent crime. There you have it folks. The cities on the list are reasonably safe.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Every year, that company always does that list. It is ALWAYS filled with mid-Europe countries (Switzerland, Austria, etc. - this year I see they put Finland instead). Than the rest is made up of Australian and Canadian cities. Every single time.

I think that company needs to travel more. I get the impression it was some German-speaking person from middle Europe who emigrated to Canada or Australia or went back and forth, and prefers only those three regions.

The world is an EMORMOUS PLACE...for me, there are AT LEAST 2-3 Asian cities that should always make that list. There should always be AT LEAST 1-2 American cities that make that list (I mean, really, the entire U.S. is ALL bad? Really?). They should at least make an effort to find one decent African city, there must be AT LEAST one.

But every year, year in and year out, they just list the biggest cities of Australia and Canada and fill in the gaps with a random European city or two.

Biased and ethnocentric.

...yes.. you're right. Its crap living here. Please spread the word, so people don't get any bright ideas & wreck it for us

Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I don't see it that way at all. Now what would be the prime criteria in your mind that makes a city livable? In mine the number one is Saftey from violent crime. There you have it folks. The cities on the list are reasonably safe.
Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, etc. All very safe from violent crime.

--------------

Personally, I think the person who did the list needs to travel more, A LOT more. Nothing wrong with Australia or Canada. But it's like the author has never been out of some very narrow comfort zone. If this list were made by Lonely Planet authors, or people who've REALLY traveled and REALLY seen the world, it would be much more different.

This seems like a list made for English-speaking people who are afraid to leave English-speaking countries.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul, etc. All very safe from violent crime.

--------------

Personally, I think the person who did the list needs to travel more, A LOT more. Nothing wrong with Australia or Canada. But it's like the author has never been out of some very narrow comfort zone. If this list were made by Lonely Planet authors, or people who've REALLY traveled and REALLY seen the world, it would be much more different.

This seems like a list made for English-speaking people who are afraid to leave English-speaking countries.
considering the combination of

health care
environment
culture
infrastructure

how do the cities you mentioned beat Vancouver or Melbourne?

Safety is an aspect .... there are other considerations.. cost of living? etc

Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
considering the combination of

health care
environment
culture
infrastructure

how do the cities you mentioned beat Vancouver or Melbourne?

Safety is an aspect .... there are other considerations.. cost of living? etc
There is NOTHING wrong with Vancouver or Melbourne.

Anyways, to your question. Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka all have very impressive infrastructure, culture, healthcare, etc. Environment is pretty nice in Japan, definitely. They construct buildings without even noise pollution. Apparently they built equipment that does that here.

My wife also delived here in Japan, without insurance, it costs $2,000 for 5 nights of round-the-clock care, nursing staff, 3 meals a day, and the delivery of the baby all for that low price. I'd say healthcare is pretty top notch. Sorry, the cost is the same with or without insurance. Actually I have insurance here in Japan, so didn't cost me anything.

I'm not saying Melbourne or Vancouver shouldn't be on the list. I'm just saying that the author should explore a few of the other 200+ countries on the planet, rather than choosing 8 cities all from 2 countries.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 02-23-2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 PM

241 posts, read 742,743 times
Each of these surveys is different. I think the cities that appear in the top 20 of all combined are worth considering, then you can choose based on your own tastes. Perth and Calgary don't exactly seem like fun places to live to me, Calgary is too cold. Montreal or Vancouver I may consider, though I'm not sure I could handle Montreal's winters and I hate those fugly brick buildings. Australia is too far out of the way, far from family and other places (inconvenient to travel from, besides around Asia). Anyway, my top 2 to move to when I leave here would be Vancouver or SF.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 PM

241 posts, read 742,743 times
The US never makes these lists either. Really sad. I hope by some miracle the democracy wave hitting NA and the ME finds its way to the US. If you can deal with the extra crime, more noticeable poverty and homelessness, lack of public transportation, difficulty with healthcare, and declining educashun, then there are a few nice cities.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
There is NOTHING wrong with Vancouver or Melbourne.

Anyways, to your question. Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka all have very impressive infrastructure, culture, healthcare, etc. Environment is pretty nice in Japan, definitely. They construct buildings without even noise pollution. Apparently they built equipment that does that here.

My wife also delived here in Japan, without insurance, it costs $2,000 for 5 nights of round-the-clock care, nursing staff, 3 meals a day, and the delivery of the baby all for that low price. I'd say healthcare is pretty top notch. Sorry, the cost is the same with or without insurance. Actually I have insurance here in Japan, so didn't cost me anything.

I'm not saying Melbourne or Vancouver shouldn't be on the list. I'm just saying that the author should explore a few of the other 200+ countries on the planet, rather than choosing 8 cities all from 2 countries.
Where in Japan?
Isnt tokyo one of the most expensive cities in the world? Is there much smog?

I'm not entirely convinced the list is 100% right either.. although I do think Melbourne & Vancouver are ..

Those prices are similar to Australia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World