Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,266 times

Advertisements

Due to their (in my eyes) "typical" facial structure, I often manage to pick out people from the Netherlands, Germany, Spain and Russia. With the Dutch and the Spanish, it's the way their mouths are formed. With the Russians, the eyes and lips. With the Germans, the eyes and the nose.

Others I can recognize by how they are dressed, like Americans, the English (well, that is the working-class types that roam about the Spanish Costa's) and Eastern Europeans women (dressed to the T).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, Bavrians are Germans, right? .
Hmmmm, is that so, I wonder.

I have two German friends, one from Cologne and the other from Frankfurt - they do not know each other, by the way. When speaking of Germany or Germans, each of them is forever making the qualification..."Not Bavaria, of course" or "Not Barvarians, of course."

Tis a puzzlement.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Hmmmm, is that so, I wonder.

I have two German friends, one from Cologne and the other from Frankfurt - they do not know each other, by the way. When speaking of Germany or Germans, each of them is forever making the qualification..."Not Bavaria, of course" or "Not Barvarians, of course."

Tis a puzzlement.
Indeed, Bavarians consider themselves and are considered different from the rest of Germans. It is similar to Texans in the US. Officially part of the nation, but still a world of its own with certain separatist thoughts constantly in the back of many people's minds.
But thanks to the migrations within Germany separation would be odd now as many Bavarians were originally Prussians etc. who moved down there. And they are mixing with locals of course. The dialect is also gradually fading with many Bavarians thanks to the media and schooling.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, where are you from when Americans strike you as being so utterly disconnected?
I am from Germany and although there is a difference of course, it is not as huge as the one you seem to feel.
I myself even like a certain amount of disconnectedness as I can't bear most people getting close to me, be it physically or otherwise.
I have met my share of people who keep talking and talking, and even when they talk about their feelings etc., which can hardly be called superficial, it gets on my nerves somehow. I guess I am just not really interested in most people.
Yes, it might have to do with that. I can see how a German may perceive less social disconnect in Americans as someone born and raised in a collective, traditional culture; but that doesn't make the whole issue purely subjective.

Cultural relativity does not change the reality that some cultures can be organized in harmful ways. There is ample empirical evidence that a culture's inability to foster strong social bonds can impact people's health (both physical and mental) in negative ways. Germany is not where the US is in terms of social fragmentation but it definitely encourages less strong social bonds between people than the Eastern European culture I am going from. Yes, social connectedness comes with "strings attached", social pressures, conventions, gossip, conformity and the like - but it's got its huge mental health benefits at the end of the day.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:48 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Personal communication is going the way of the dodo and the passenger pigeon; more and more people live in a world of knee-jerk groupthink not very far removed from Orwell's 1984. That America may be leading the way is one thing, but it is not unique.
I agree - and it's so, so sad. Especially for those of us who can't quite throw ourselves on that bandwagon. It looks very depressing from where I stand, I can assure you.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:55 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
The accent is the main hint.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Americans are louder and their accent are very sharp, you can hear them from a long distance. Kind of gregarious too. They sit in a very definite way in terraces and they don't wear sandals, but sneakers and socks. Kind of strange sport clothes, always carrying gimmicks. They speak Spanish, or use a repertoire of a few words with dexterity. They are more interested in things, they ask a lot.

American tourists in Barcelona have a higher cultural and economical level than most European tourists, in certain ways they are similar to Russians, but Russian have those stunning women... Both are big spenders and both visit museums, etc. Americans tip, so they are kind of popular among waiters, etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Americans are louder and their accent are very sharp, you can hear them from a long distance. Kind of gregarious too. They sit in a very definite way in terraces and they don't wear sandals, but sneakers and socks. Kind of strange sport clothes, always carrying gimmicks. They speak Spanish, or use a repertoire of a few words with dexterity. They are more interested in things, they ask a lot.

American tourists in Barcelona have a higher cultural and economical level than most European tourists, in certain ways they are similar to Russians, but Russian have those stunning women... Both are big spenders and both visit museums, etc. Americans tip, so they are kind of popular among waiters, etc.
That may well be since Europe is full of culture and history. When you live in Germany, France, Italy, Greece etc. you have more museums etc. right there in your backyard than you can visit. In the US however you only have a few cultural cities. Most Europeans that go to Barcelona, and Spain in general, usually do so because of the beaches so that culture is just an add-on.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post

Could you expand on this concept of "cultural level"?

The Americans one sees in Europe (other than on military bases) are not a good representation of the overall American population. They are indeed more educated, sophisticated, and affluent, and perhaps more "progressive" than the general public, or students studying abroad (much of whom fit the description also).

Americans vacationing at popular Mexican tourist resorts, on the other hand, would be a more accurate description of the "average" American, though whiter and slightly more affluent.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 PM

190 posts, read 706,583 times
I´m from Valencia, Spain, a few mounths ago i fainted in the subway, there was a group of americans, for the america´s cup i think, two guys took me out of the vague and were taking care of me a few minutes until i recovered, i found it a great detail since they weren´t local people and could have expected that others help me, were dressed to the "american style" with caps, shirts and sneakers , the germans in Spain are famous for combining sandals with shocks, but i´ve never seen this in people of my age, people of eastern europe allways seem to me like they had some grief in them, a hard culture i guess...Sorry for the mistakes, i´m starting in this language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World