Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:34 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Smiling all the times do not makes people less serious, or less violent - they just looks silly, imo.
Actually study revealed that fake smiles may cause depression and maybe even a violence.
Just talk with people working in Customer Service. They have to smile to everyone, even to the phone (!) all day long. By the end of the day they are tired of being nice and smiling at everyone. Some in fact are close to snap and release their frustration.
Employers encourage their staff to always appear happy in order to boost the success of an organisation, however smiling for the sake of smiling can lead to emotional exhaustion and withdrawal, but I don't think that "the organizations" really care about that.
Actually study after study has shown that faking smiles does lead to happier moods. There aren't any studies showing the reverse and the studies have been conducted since the 1970s.

Can Smiling Make You Happy?

Smile! It Could Make You Happier - Scientific American

Having said that, I tried it and never felt it worked. ? ??????

And it is disconcerting to watch American news reporters smiling while delivering the grimmest possible news. I catch myself wondering sometimes if they are reading news out of order, a piece they had not expected at that time. Because even if smiling does make us happier, why should we be happy over some of the terrible things that are reported on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
America is the land of smiles and fake smiles lol. For anybody who has worked in customer service, I can almost here some stupid manager saying "Smile", it is ingrained in this culture.

To me, it does not matter if it is fake or not but what really matters is that, a person with a smile makes me feel good and I really don't care to find out that they are having a bad day, not my freaking problem.

In many European countries, I have had the displeasure of dealing with waiters and customer service people in a bad mood and they make no effort to hide it which is a bit bizarre.

I can remember some German waitresses who were standoffish and almost had an attitude, no smile, not friendly in any way. People like this usually get 0 dollars in tips from me.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM

7 posts, read 6,970 times
Definitely not generally in South Korea with their strict and mad bosses, military and parents. It is a very stress society, K pop music is good but not tv dramas, the tv dramas too serious or romantic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Thailand is called the 'Land of Smiles' but in Bangkok the people were mostly how they are in most big cities. More smiles than Western countries, but still it's a big city.

I can't speak for countries I haven't visited. I can't judge by backpackers I meet, since most are having a good time/drinking.etc and do not reflect the typical Dutch or Korean person going about their day to day business.

I'd say in Australia, smiling at strangers is not uncommon, but it's also very common to keep a 'stiff upper lip' and not express any emotion. I imagine Britain is worse.

In SE Asia aside from Singapore, people seem quite free with their smiles, but are often business-like and do not smile if they have not met you. If they have however they do like to smile and laugh a lot.

I always considered Southern Europe to have a lot of people who smile a lot but maybe I'm wrong. Sweden, Denmark seem full of reserved people who only open up with alcohol.

No idea about Africa, but Africans I've met seem more serious than I thought.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 6,970 times
Does religion relate to economy?
And with those countries who smile a lot having poorer economic performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i hate to drag everything down to the level of religon but when it comes to europe

protestant countries - scandanavia , germany , netherlands , switzerland = more serious

catholic countys - italy , spain , portugal , ireland =

i guess the PIGGS have to have one thing on thier industrious neighbours

btw , i agree about americans , they are very pleasant and cheerfull , even when it comes to reading the news , american news anchors are almost coming through the screen to shake your hand , where as on the bbc , you have an austere college dean type

how can you yanks be so damn upbeat about everything

Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 AM

49 posts, read 55,917 times
Based on my observations for the countries I have visited, I would say Canadians are the people who smile the most. Canadians smile WAY more than other western countries that includes Americans
Unfortunately, I have never been to East/Southeast Asia so I can't tell for that part of the world

Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 AM

142 posts, read 239,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Lover View Post
Based on my observations for the countries I have visited, I would say Canadians are the people who smile the most. Canadians smile WAY more than other western countries that includes Americans
Unfortunately, I have never been to East/Southeast Asia so I can't tell for that part of the world
Sri Lankans and Balinese would be the most, in my experience, followed by Cambodians, Thais except in Bangkok, then Vietnam/Taiwan, China, Singapore. Haven't been to Japan yet so can't say.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Most:
Latins, Southern Mongoloids, Micronesians, Polynesians

Least:
Germanics, Slavics, Arabs, Northern Mongoloids

Old 08-13-2014, 05:19 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
In Paris, people don't smile, they grin, -a not particularly pleasant feeling...

Old 08-13-2014, 05:31 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,832 times
Nationality has nothing to do with it I'm afraid.....

Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,260 times
Brazilians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World