Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 09:19 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
True, but Americans typically only fly the flag outside their home during July the 4th and maybe Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Otherwise, usually no flag flying.
I think that really depends on where you are in America. I live in Louisiana in a conservative neighborhood and many people fly the American flag year round, and American flag shirts are worn regularly year round. Many people in West Virginia also displayed the US flag all year long.

I think Mexicans really do like flying their flag a lot, not just in their country, even when they move to the USA they fly their flag very prominently. Within Mexico, many towns and cities have a huge flag that's officially placed by the government and many businesses and homes fly the Mexican flag. And yes in Mexican neighborhoods in the US, the Mexican flag is everywhere. You will also see a Mexican flag in any Mexican restaurant in the US, while you wouldn't usually find a Chinese flag in a Chinese restaurant.

Italian Americans and Irish Americans fly their ancestral flags more than Americans of other ethnic backgrounds.

When I was in Jamaica, their flag was everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 10:19 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
I walked on my street that is a mile long (30min) around a lake in an affluent neighborhood in central Florida. In a mostly republican town/county. My house is the only one with an american flag on it. Why is that?
Back in California at my old neighborhood within 5min walk i saw 5 American flags, in a town that is 70-80% democrat.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:48 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I walked on my street that is a mile long (30min) around a lake in an affluent neighborhood in central Florida. In a mostly republican town/county. My house is the only one with an american flag on it. Why is that?
Back in California at my old neighborhood within 5min walk i saw 5 American flags, in a town that is 70-80% democrat.
There might be a lot of restrictive HOA rules in your neighborhood. In a neighborhood here where my parents just bought a new house, the HOA rule say that you must install a flagpole in order to fly the flag which discourages people, they also ban any other flags besides the US flag, even LSU flags, and ban political yard signs even in an election year so your neighborhood might just be PC, or the HOA that runs it may.

Here in Louisiana if you go to the Democrat neighborhoods (aka the black neighborhoods) you will be hard pressed to find any flags.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:22 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think that really depends on where you are in America. I live in Louisiana in a conservative neighborhood and many people fly the American flag year round, and American flag shirts are worn regularly year round. Many people in West Virginia also displayed the US flag all year long.

I think Mexicans really do like flying their flag a lot, not just in their country, even when they move to the USA they fly their flag very prominently. Within Mexico, many towns and cities have a huge flag that's officially placed by the government and many businesses and homes fly the Mexican flag. And yes in Mexican neighborhoods in the US, the Mexican flag is everywhere. You will also see a Mexican flag in any Mexican restaurant in the US, while you wouldn't usually find a Chinese flag in a Chinese restaurant.

Italian Americans and Irish Americans fly their ancestral flags more than Americans of other ethnic backgrounds.

When I was in Jamaica, their flag was everywhere.
I guess the South is just more Americana than the rest of the country. There's a reason why when Canadians or Europeans think of America, they think of pickups, guns, religious conservatives, rednecks, thick Southern drawls, fried chicken and Mac and cheese, patriotism...Basically the South.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:35 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Maybe US Southerners (& Westerners) are a bit more colorful than their staid Yankee countrymen. And there are those who display the controversial Confederate battle flag. I don’t quite get that one myself.

Then there are us Texans who, in addition to the Stars & Stripes, like to fly the Lone Star Republic of Texas flag on significant state holidays & historical dates...

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-13-2021 at 06:57 AM..

Old 09-08-2020, 12:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
30 years ago, one rarely saw American flags in New York except around July. Today, they are a lot more common even in die-hard liberal areas. I think it follows the post-9/11 period that displaying a flag became important to people.

Quote:
I was just in a thread where several posters were complaining that New Mexico was in danger of becoming a Spanish speaking dominant state because of the sheer numbers of Mexicans and people of Mexican heritage. I virtually never see Mexican flags here, though.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:20 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
I guess the South is just more Americana than the rest of the country. There's a reason why when Canadians or Europeans think of America, they think of pickups, guns, religious conservatives, rednecks, thick Southern drawls, fried chicken and Mac and cheese, patriotism...Basically the South.
Fried chicken maybe, not so much mac and cheese or thick Southern drawls. Hamburgers and hot dogs most definitely. Whenever I've heard someone European go in on snubbing US cuisine, it often goes along the lines of either GMO / additives sort of rant and/or all we eat is hamburger and hot dogs.

As for the topic, I feel like Bajans love their flag a lot. It's a pretty nice flag, I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more authoritarian countries show their flags a lot. I've never been, but I'd imagine North Korea probably has the flag prominently shown on television and in public displays. Definitely agree with the OP that China and Vietnam display their flags quite a bit.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-08-2020 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-08-2020, 03:25 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Americans who fly the flag are thought of as racist's who hate others .At least that's what I read here on CD from some posters .

Old 09-08-2020, 03:26 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
And there's nothing wrong with any of that and they love it cause when I worked at one of the most popular tourist spots in the South, they were the main ones keeping us booked and busy.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-08-2020 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
And there's nothing wrong with any of that and they love it cause when I worked at one of the most popular tourist spots in the South, they were the main ones keeping us booked and busy.
I guess they see the South as the most quintissentially American part of the US, the part of the US that is most different from Europe or Canada. Kind of like how many Americans think of Germany as beer, Oktoberfest, pretzels, and the alps, aka Bavaria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World