Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 12:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,612,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If it's not bad enough I really hope sex tourism doesn't boom in Cambodia. I know they're poor but it's sordid and causes a lot of damage to their society.
you do realize that sex tourists were there before the recent influx of tourists, right? and if anything, the fact that cambodia is poor is the main reason sex tourists haven't completely overrun the place. if the govt wasn't dependent on aid, then all those anti-trafficking NGO's would have been kicked out of the country long ago.

looking at the numbers

thailand
population: 70 million
international tourists arrivals: 22 million/year

cambodia
population: 13 million
international tourist arrivals: 4 million/year

lao
population: 6.5 million
international tourist arrivals: 1.5 million/year

comparatively speaking, vietnam and the philippines don't seem as saturated with tourists (although i realize VN is in the middle of a ridiculous tourist boom and will prolly be over 10 million tourists arrivals per year by 2020)

vietnam
population: 90 million
international tourist arrivals: 5 million

philippines
population: 95 million
international tourist arrivals: 4 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
Any place of this bloody world has its own special characteristics, in my opinion what makes the difference is your wallet. I know a guy who wanted to travel around the world but he had no money nor to buy toilet paper, (which is why I never shook hands with him ), I tried to make him understand that the good places are like beautiful women ... very expensive, but he does not understand and continues to annoy me
And your shallow comment about women annoys me.

I travel the world and I'm certainly not rich, I do it on the cheap and have lovely times.
Except for a tank of gas, I spent less than $50 this past weekend, including accommodations to hang out in a castle area of the Czech Republic.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Houston Texas

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
I would just discontinue using the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note Travel Agency, if you don't like where they send you.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,899,073 times
Rome- Aw god I could not stand that place. There were not very many children (something i did not like), there were alot of beggars on the streets and there were far too many motorbikes, alot of the riders would drive over you.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Rome- Aw god I could not stand that place. There were not very many children (something i did not like), there were alot of beggars on the streets and there were far too many motorbikes, alot of the riders would drive over you.
After living in Rome for five years, I agree: living there means fighting with crazy drivers
Rome is a chaotic rush hour that lasts 24 hours per day, 7 days per week...

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
I would have to say Vietnam. My wife and I had several very creepy experiences with the Vietnamese, although not really very dangerous or threatening, just weird. Nothing like it had ever happened in any other SEAsian country. Also, I've never been in any country where the systematic effort to relieve us of dollars was so pervasive. It was like the US $20 bill was the only coin in circulation, and no matter what we wanted, the price was twenty bucks.

I hasten to add that I never had any sense that it was payback for the war. All western travelers were treated the same, and at least superficially, the Vietnamese have put the war behind them and forgotten about it. Most Vietnamese were pleasant and friendly, but there is a thread of something scary running through the population, which is waiting to be tripped over by the traveler. Also, as I found out later, the Laotians despise and fear the Vietnamese.

(All of the above is from a 1996 perspective.)

Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,384 times
The worst place that I've ever visited was Italy. I was recently in Italy in June, I stayed for 10 days. I flew to Italy from Turkey. After being in Turkey for 10 days and then going to Italy and seeing the contrast I felt like crying. Turkey is a beautiful very clean and friendly country. I enjoyed myself so much thee that I didn't want to leave. However I'd heard so many great things about Italy, that I thought I was in for another treat.... Yeah right what a joke... Italy is dirty, covered with graffiti and it smells. The food isn't good at all, okay I will say that they have the best ice cream that I have ever tasted, but other then that it's just bread bread bread and pasta. I was very disappointed because I felt like I got ripped off....Italy gets way more hype then it deserves...i was so glad to leave.....I have travelled all over the world and I must say that Italy is on the bottom of my list.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

175 posts, read 274,056 times
North Korea

Old 08-08-2012, 06:02 PM

581 posts, read 970,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleMyBelle1 View Post
The worst place that I've ever visited was Italy. I was recently in Italy in June, I stayed for 10 days. I flew to Italy from Turkey. After being in Turkey for 10 days and then going to Italy and seeing the contrast I felt like crying. Turkey is a beautiful very clean and friendly country. I enjoyed myself so much thee that I didn't want to leave. However I'd heard so many great things about Italy, that I thought I was in for another treat.... Yeah right what a joke... Italy is dirty, covered with graffiti and it smells. The food isn't good at all, okay I will say that they have the best ice cream that I have ever tasted, but other then that it's just bread bread bread and pasta. I was very disappointed because I felt like I got ripped off....Italy gets way more hype then it deserves...i was so glad to leave.....I have travelled all over the world and I must say that Italy is on the bottom of my list.
Where did you go in Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleMyBelle1 View Post
Italy is dirty, covered with graffiti and it smells.
The only place in Italy I visited that really fits this description is Florence, but I still enjoyed it anyways.
And there was much more to eat than bread and pasta...

Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 AM

317 posts, read 413,107 times
For me it's a tossup between Las Vegas and Orlando. Bombastic, fake and trafficked by some of the most disgustingly fat people I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World