Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 03:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,967 times

Advertisements

In general, I have liked all the places I have visited. Only a few places have been a bit below my expectation but I've taken every one just as it is. Every country, city is worth something. Yes, of course I haven't traveled as much as some other people, so I can't say kinda "yes, it's just my 43rd time to be here in northern Gabon" (Well, it was a joke.)
A few years ago money was embezzled from me in Budapest. But I do not blame Budapest city in this incident as the city itself was nice. I think I just had bad luck.

Last edited by Anhityk; 07-08-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I haven't been to any place that's outright awful but I was definitely not impressed at all by:

1. Seoul - I'm not a fan of Korean food and the city didn't feel special to me at all.

2. Hong Kong - Crowded as **** and the services were really rude. I also visited when the air pollution from China was on full rage. We have enough crowds as it is and if I want good Cantonese food we've got a ton of those ourselves and our wait staff would be much friendlier.

3. Milan - Went there when it was rainy and on a particular hazy day. It was really boring. Most of the touristy stuff was really underwhelming.

4. Brussels - I remember it being very dirty and full of beggars and homelessness. It stood out as such an anomaly in the worst way amongst European cities of the same size that I've visited such as Amsterdam, Vienna, and Stockholm.
I guess we have completely different taste in cities.

We love the vibrancy of Hong Kong and have been there about eight times. I do not care about wait staff being friendly and actually we found people very helpful.

Milan is not at the top of my favourite Italian cities but we find it pleasant for a day or two. We have been in and out of the airport several times and it is a much nicer airport than Rome, Venice and Naples. I like Turin better but enjoy a day in Milan.

Have not been to Brussels for a long time but we found it pleasant. It may have changed.

I have not been to Korea yet.

The place that I hated the most and could not wait to leave was Mexico City a long time ago. I found children begging so incredibly sad, people were trying to rip us off the whole time, the airport was totally chaotic and I was so happy when our departure flight took off.

Followed by Egypt, much more recently. I have never seen rubbish like that in Port Said, literally knee high. The beggars and touts were at another level.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Muncie, Indiana. The Obesity Capital of the U.S. The incidence of diabetes there must be sky-high.
If Muncie is the worst place you've ever visited, then you must not have visited too many places. Muncie is far from perfect, but in reality, it ain't all that bad of a town. It's about average. There are far worse cities in Indiana than Muncie.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 1,661 times
Honestly, it was probably Thailand for me. I really enjoyed my time there, but the electrical wires attached to the utility poles scared the hell out me, among other things. Thick thick bunching seemed like it was set for a damn power grid disaster!

Old 07-08-2019, 06:07 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderndaymath View Post
Honestly, it was probably Thailand for me. I really enjoyed my time there, but the electrical wires attached to the utility poles scared the hell out me, among other things. Thick thick bunching seemed like it was set for a damn power grid disaster!
The wiring seems to be like that in much of Asia. I know what you mean, DH is an engineer so he stresses out.

But I have to say that the only place we have been where the power went off for an extended period was in Equador.. Most Asian countries are pretty efficient in many ways even though some look chaotic.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The rule of thumb of eating sushi is you only eat in Japan (or Hawaii too). In other places you should only eat sushi at those really top-rated authentic Japanese restaurants.

It is really simple. Fresh raw fish requires same day shipping. How can some sushi restaurants charge less than what you pay in Japan?
No you can eat sushis in many places, they won't be perfect but some restaurants provide very good one, surprisingly good some times, not only top rated ... You don't have to eat pizzas only in Italy or - real, not Mcdonald - burgers in USA.. But indeed I want to go to sushiro in Japan again haha

But those in HK... They weren't 'less good than Japanese ones', they were paper, without taste. I was astonished that a sushi could be that bad!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We love the vibrancy of Hong Kong and have been there about eight times. I do not care about wait staff being friendly and actually we found people very helpful.
It's just nothing special to me. I guess it would be more impressive for Westerners.

Quote:
Milan is not at the top of my favourite Italian cities but we find it pleasant for a day or two. We have been in and out of the airport several times and it is a much nicer airport than Rome, Venice and Naples. I like Turin better but enjoy a day in Milan.
Turin is stunning, much better than Milan.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:40 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
In the US, places that gave me pretty negative vibes:

Sells, Arizona
Calipatria/Mecca, Califonia
Tarlio, Missouri
Camden, Alabama
Okeechobee, Florida
Folkston, Georgia
Kankakee, Illinois

Although I never got caught in the famous speed trap in Golden Meadow, Louisiana, it was always scary to drive through there. I haven't been in Saskatchewan very many tines, I've had three very weird encounters there that I'd rather not repeat.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
I tend to like to see the best in places, I enjoy the novelty but probably Brussels is bottom of my list. I've had to go there 5 times in my lifetime and whilst on 2 of those occassions I've had fun the city is pretty much a dump and the people pretty awful also.

All US cities I've visited I liked, even Baltimore. In New York I was surprised to see how neglected Corona Park and the Unisphere is considering its a local icon.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I tend to like to see the best in places, I enjoy the novelty but probably Brussels is bottom of my list. I've had to go there 5 times in my lifetime and whilst on 2 of those occassions I've had fun the city is pretty much a dump and the people pretty awful also.

All US cities I've visited I liked, even Baltimore. In New York I was surprised to see how neglected Corona Park and the Unisphere is considering its a local icon.
I don't remember Brussels being a dump... It's not Oslo of course but it's okay, the city is old and dense, and under the grey rainy sky gritty for sure but it's normal .. The city isn't St Petersburg nor Granada, but worth the visit IMO . Beers, waffles and chocolate are worth the weekend there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World