Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 02:24 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times

Advertisements

Marrakesh, Morocco.. Hated it, couldn't wait to leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 02:47 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Marrakesh, Morocco.. Hated it, couldn't wait to leave!
Why?

Old 09-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Why?
It was so confusing to get around.

The people were so pushy and even hostile, including the children. We had a "gang" of kids outside of our Riad, they tried to get tips for "handling" our bags by taking them (or attempting to), kicked a soccer ball at us, etc.

Even our hotel recommended tour guide was horrible.

Everything there seemed to be a money grab.

And of course, the one thing we bought in the famed market broke in our bag on the way home.

No thank you!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I hated everything about Philadelphia both times I went there. The first time was when I was a child, the second time was when I was an adult. The second time I went out of my way to try to like the city, trying to desperately find things to like about it but nothing. Nothing at all. Still hate it all the same.

As a city, it is the complete polar opposite of the type of places that I like. It has zero qualities to it that can interest me. I use it as a marker for the type of qualities that I am not looking for in a city.

So, I assume you dislike historic, dense, vibrant cities then? Do you like sun-bet-type sprawlers then?

The biggest gripe about Philadelphia is grit and grime, and it may not be as vibrant as you might have expected. Other than that, Philadalphia is an interesting city. Would like to hear your complaints.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
never visited a bad place. there is always at least one silver lining.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:24 AM

570 posts, read 508,174 times
Copenhagen! Lifeless, expensive, very cold people and a boring! Never again

Old 09-06-2019, 02:49 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
never visited a bad place. there is always at least one silver lining.
Agreed, But Brussels is more of a copper lining than a silver one.

Just came back from Tallinn which I loved, they even have a decent beach 20 minutes away with a pine forest background and the sun was shining.

Hopped over to Helsinki, was better than I expected. Liked the grand St. Petersburg influenced buildings, the sea water swimming pool in the harbour, coffee culture and quaint Suomenlinna island.

Next was Turku, considering it was the old Swedish founded capital of Finland I expected more but it was still pleasant enough. Liked the canal and student buzz.

Would return to Tallinn in a heartbeat and maybe Helsinki as a day/overnight trip.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Copenhagen! Lifeless, expensive, very cold people and a boring! Never again
Surprising.. I loved Copenhagen, having gone twice. It is super expensive though.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
So, I assume you dislike historic, dense, vibrant cities then? Do you like sun-bet-type sprawlers then?

The biggest gripe about Philadelphia is grit and grime, and it may not be as vibrant as you might have expected. Other than that, Philadalphia is an interesting city. Would like to hear your complaints.
No, I don't agree at all. For one, I don't find it to be an interesting city whatsoever. It's one of the several things that I have against the place because it actually costs you both time and money to visit a place, both being finite human resources, and the things that I wish I could get back from the last trip there because that trip was a waste.

Also no, I don't have any preference in city typologies. I don't care how dense, vibrant, or urban a city is or isn't. I judge places off of completely different factors, more personalized factors that pertain to a human being's senses and more day-to-day life factors than that.

For instance, I was born in a very dense and vibrant city (Singapore) that is several folds denser and more vibrant than Philadelphia and throughout the course of my life have lived in places that are several folds denser and more vibrant than Philadelphia, including the two most recent locations of residence, Tokyo (current) and London (current). Dense and vibrant cities aren't any sort of problem for me. Same goes for cities that are lacking in density or vibrancy. I don't care much about city typologies in general. In other words, I just like a pleasant place that has the stuff I'm looking for and characteristically meets my needs or interests me at some level, is all.

The opposite characteristics that I was speaking of in my earlier post were nothing of the sort to what you were thinking of, at all, the opposite characteristics that I spoke of are far more personalized factors. However, to answer your question, Sunbelt or not, I prefer every city to Philadelphia.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-06-2019 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,347 times
Kathmandu, Nepal
-Extremely dirty and polluted
-Full of scammers, even people that know friends of your friends
-Nearly zero infrastructure
-People there were only nice to manipulate you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World