Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times

Advertisements

The worst place in the US for me was Gary, Indiana.

Outside the US, I really did not like Belgrade in what is now Serbia. Simply dreadful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 05:58 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
That is truly the correct word - exhilarating - for that time 1990-91 in East Germany and many of the other countries in eastern Europe sheading the dark yoke of Soviet occupation. We also went into Czechoslovakia. What a classy bargain. A beautiful, historic, first world country (just left 2nd communist world) with prices like Mexico - at least at that time. We stopped at a beautiful hotel in Jihlava about half way between Prague and Vienna and paid about 15 USD for a 4 star room, dinner with the best local dark beer I've ever had in my life to this day for about 10 for two people, and they had a local glass blowing industry so we bought 5 or 6 beautiful colored figurines for about $5 each that rivaled Swarovsky Crystal. Two bad I was only in my early 30s, would have been a great place to retire on a small pension. I hear it's a bit more expensive now!
Pretty cool. My experiences with Eastern Germany and Czechoslovakia in that time frame were great as well. I was definitely on a budget and it was an interesting time to visit those areas while the Eastern bloc as an entity was unraveling!

Old 07-13-2019, 07:13 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Brussels is as neglected and dirtier than Bogota...

wow, is it possible that there are such places in rich, developed, peaceful countries with very little social issues? Countries that are like 5 or more times richer than Colombia at per capita levels, with much lower inequality and violence.

I never understood how certain parts of Bogota are so neglected, I don't get how people living there or near there don't care at all. But at least one knows is the capital of a poor country, with such deep social issues.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:36 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
wow, is it possible that there are such places in rich, developed, peaceful countries with very little social issues? Countries that are like 5 or more times richer than Colombia at per capita levels, with much lower inequality and violence.

I never understood how certain parts of Bogota are so neglected, I don't get how people living there or near there don't care at all. But at least one knows is the capital of a poor country, with such deep social issues.

Yes Brussels is very much a European tip. Nothing compared to the other cities in Europe and I've walked all around it. The areas around the Brussels-Charleroi canal are dirtier than most central places in Bogota and Bogota is not necessairily clean by Colombian standards and don't get me started on the personal hygiene, never before had I smelt so many unwashed people in stations, buses and general public places/transportation.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
That is truly the correct word - exhilarating - for that time 1990-91 in East Germany and many of the other countries in eastern Europe sheading the dark yoke of Soviet occupation. We also went into Czechoslovakia. What a classy bargain. A beautiful, historic, first world country (just left 2nd communist world) with prices like Mexico - at least at that time. We stopped at a beautiful hotel in Jihlava about half way between Prague and Vienna and paid about 15 USD for a 4 star room, dinner with the best local dark beer I've ever had in my life to this day for about 10 for two people, and they had a local glass blowing industry so we bought 5 or 6 beautiful colored figurines for about $5 each that rivaled Swarovsky Crystal. Two bad I was only in my early 30s, would have been a great place to retire on a small pension. I hear it's a bit more expensive now!
Oh my gosh, I can't believe you were in Jihlava - so were we! I LOVED IT. Same experiences, basically.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 AM

1,002 posts, read 907,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
What's the worst place you've ever been to?

for me, top of the list must be Bali, Indonesia

absolutely horrible place, harassed literally every 10 seconds to buy something, no women, overpriced, traffic nightmare and just not a place worth going on holiday to.

any others?
how do you say Bali is the worst place? Bali is a suitable place for the westren people every year, Bali is always Arrival tourist from American, European and etc. . no wonder Bali is a paradise for tourists specially from the westren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb39xP_s2fA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZxfMJi4ze0

Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Former coal company towns in Eastern Kentucky are really rough. Most buildings abandoned, very high unemployment, drug problems, etc. The county seats (where local govt is headquartered) are usually pretty nice even in poor counties. But the smaller outlying towns are the pits.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes Brussels is very much a European tip. Nothing compared to the other cities in Europe and I've walked all around it. The areas around the Brussels-Charleroi canal are dirtier than most central places in Bogota and Bogota is not necessairily clean by Colombian standards and don't get me started on the personal hygiene, never before had I smelt so many unwashed people in stations, buses and general public places/transportation.
That's one thing that Santo Domingo is good at, in fact Dominicans in general. Very clean with their bodies. Quite a few people take up to three showers in one day. The tropical climate and the culture where people are expected to look like they came out of the shower has something to do with that. It doesn't matter the social class, personal hygiene is very important.

There is another nationality that lives there too, and which will remain nameless to not create a scandal, that if you see more than 3 grouped together brace yourself and especially the nose. I don't know if its genetics, the culture, the food... but my goodness. In the shopping malls the richer people from there are sometimes seen and they don't smell badly, but they tend to be a mixture of things, look different from most of their poorer country people, and probably have a lifestyle regarding taking care of this issue.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:56 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
India

Old 07-20-2019, 04:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Las Vegas. Too expensive and boring for me. The place was so tacky and fake. I only started enjoying myself once I got into the Nevada Desert out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World