Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM

3,156 posts, read 1,615,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Bar Harbor Maine. Went in the summer about 25 years ago and it was a terrible tourist trap. Prices were triple or more on everything due to the season. No fast food allowed within about 30 miles from Bar Harbor town so we paid $20 each for microwave fish fillet and fries on a styrofoam plate and a soda at a food stand with picnic benches at the edge of the parking lot. Paid $20 each for a small piece of quiche and a roll and lemonade at the Park Service dining room at the top of Cadillac Mountain. Even the federal govt. was in on the scam. One large place a bit out of town advertised a lobster thermador dinner for about $25 each, and the lobster looked like a lobster fetus or maybe one large shrimp covered with sauce. The people were rude and unfriendly, whether they were natives or just there working for the season. The worst was when we went out on the boat to see whales (there weren't any) and the boat took us to see the seals on a rock island. The boat stopped about 100 yards away and then offered to rent us binoculars at $5 each for a couple of minutes to actually see the seals. Bar Harbor was right out of a Stephen King novel to me. I know others have gone and loved the place but it was the worst vacation we ever had. The brightest point of the whole trip was when we were going home and about 35 miles out of Bar Harbor we spotted a Burger King and finally got a decent meal. Been all over New Hampshire, and New York State and Pennsylvania, vacationed in North Conway and Manchester and Lake Placid and New Hope and Pennsylvania Dutch country many times. Visited LA , San Diego, SF, Reno, Flagstaff, Guadlajara, Mexico and Montreal, Canada. Never experienced anything like Bar Harbor.
Share your feelings about Bar Harbor Maine and Cadillac Mountain -- overrun with tourists and cars. This was about ten years ago. Shops and restaurants mediocre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 02:45 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,537,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
how do you say Bali is the worst place? Bali is a suitable place for the westren people every year, Bali is always Arrival tourist from American, European and etc. . no wonder Bali is a paradise for tourists specially from the westren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb39xP_s2fA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZxfMJi4ze0
Sorry, but I'm going to have to side with the OP on this one. I can't honestly say Bali is the worst place I've ever visited. It isn't, by far(see below). But compared to its reputation, it's underwhelming and disappointing. The island itself is very beautiful and the traditional culture interesting. However, the obnoxious nature of the taxi drivers and the local disregard for proper waste disposal do significant damage to my perception of the place.

Those videos you posted don't lie. It is full of yoga pants-wearing Instagram influencer types and high-end beach clubs. If that's your thing...

Worst place I've ever been to was Sana'a, Yemen between the Arab Spring and the Civil War.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:09 AM

115 posts, read 60,390 times
I have inlaws that love Bali but I've never been. The only place I've visited that I wouldn't go back to is South Africa.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:15 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
I have inlaws that love Bali but I've never been. The only place I've visited that I wouldn't go back to is South Africa.
And why was that? (We are considering S. Africa as our next destination.)

Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 AM

115 posts, read 60,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
And why was that? (We are considering S. Africa as our next destination.)
I was there in 2006 (maybe different now) for a wedding/holiday. On leaving the Jo-burg aiport there were signs on the motorway saying 'beware - carjacking aea'. When we went to a beach town (and other areas) there were razor wire fences and other types of ominous looking fences and cars out front that said armed private security.

On the plus side, the national parks were beautiful. The wedding was in Clarens in the Free State which was a lovely town and was very safe. It was near a gorgeous national park. We also went to Oribi Gorge which was fun. Never went to Cape Town so I don't know how that is.

Why do you want to visit South Africa instead of other countries in Africa?

Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,537,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandGranny View Post
I was there in 2006 (maybe different now) for a wedding/holiday. On leaving the Jo-burg aiport there were signs on the motorway saying 'beware - carjacking aea'. When we went to a beach town (and other areas) there were razor wire fences and other types of ominous looking fences and cars out front that said armed private security.

On the plus side, the national parks were beautiful. The wedding was in Clarens in the Free State which was a lovely town and was very safe. It was near a gorgeous national park. We also went to Oribi Gorge which was fun. Never went to Cape Town so I don't know how that is.

Why do you want to visit South Africa instead of other countries in Africa?
In 2013 I was exiting the Johannesburg Airport from the baggage claim area after a 17 hour flight and these three guys approached me and one of them aggressively grabbed my bag and rolled it 20 feet to the exit, stopped, then demanded a tip. It all happened so fast and I was so blitzed from the long flight that I was so out of it I gave the guy a $5 bill or something like that. The other guys kept demanding that I give them a $20 or something until I finally managed to jump in a shuttle bus to my hotel. The only other place I've had anything like that happen was Yemen where random guys hang out in the entry security screening area and in the choas and confusion grab your bag without hesitating and start running to the checkout counter then demand a tip.

It's a shame because South Africa is a stunning country. There atmosphere of fear there among some people is so omnipresent. People live in palatial compounds that are more secure than prisons. I once went to visit a client's housing development that included a nature preserve. I made a comment on the massive electrified fence surrounding the area and he said something like, "That's not to keep the animals in. It's to keep the people out." He was dead serious.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
What's the worst place you've ever been to?

for me, top of the list must be Bali, Indonesia

absolutely horrible place, harassed literally every 10 seconds to buy something, no women, overpriced, traffic nightmare and just not a place worth going on holiday to.

any others?
Well parts of Bali I did not like such as Kuta. Seminyak was better. There are obviously some places I did not like that much, but other areas were impressive.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:29 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,532,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
What's the worst place you've ever been to?

for me, top of the list must be Bali, Indonesia

absolutely horrible place, harassed literally every 10 seconds to buy something, no women, overpriced, traffic nightmare and just not a place worth going on holiday to.

any others?

Tie: Diadema and Carapicuíba, both are very - very - run-down municipalities in the metropolitan area of São Paulo.
Outside Brazil (but not that outside...) is Ciudad del Este, in Paraguay.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:57 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,891,716 times
I thought Bali was nice. Beautiful beaches and nature, the people were very friendly, didn't get scammed on anything, 10/10 would go back.

I went with my wife and toddler daughter, so crazy partying and all that was out. Perhaps that acted as a buffer; I clearly wasnt out looking for trouble so the trouble stayed away and I just had a relaxing tropical paradise trip.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 762,213 times
Outside the US: Pisa, Italy. Filthy place.
Inside the US: Newark, New Jersey. Horrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World