Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM

61 posts, read 114,711 times

Advertisements

The young are easy to be frustrated, when they have dreams and strong desires to pursue ,but all are in vain due to present social condition.

You've got to know that our sociaty doesn't exists and evolves just for minority but for all human being.Thus there must be more or less things that you're disatisfied with.

You need to adapt yourself to the real world.Sad but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Er... have you actually EVER been in Milan?
Come on, it is the most grey and polluted city in Europe... living there is really depressing.
The vast majority of italian people actually HATE Milan.
Maybe people from the South, but Milan has the best economy/job market in the country so it is staying strong and gaining in 21st century respect.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Come on, it is the most grey and polluted city in Europe... living there is really depressing.
The vast majority of italian people actually HATE Milan.
Milan still has some qualities and features to like about it. Are you not able to notice that?

I am not saying Milan is perfect, and I am sure it has some flaws/weaknesses.

You are entitled to your opinions of Italy, including for the major Italian cities, but a lot of people would disagree with you.

I still met and encountered a lot of Italians that appreciate and have respect for Milan and for Northern Italy. Most of them seem to enjoy Northern Italy more than Southern Italy.

There is also Genoa/Northwest Italian coastline, Alps, Turin, Venice, etc.

Most major big cities usually have at least some pollution, but that can be ignored easily if the pollution is not too high, and if people focus on more optimistic thinking.

Last edited by ; 07-28-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
Well of course I still love Italy. But its not progressive enough for me. Its so backwards. And don't even get me started with the Vatican Church.
A lot of my friends who still live there, expats friends, want me to give it another chance. But I don't want to, besides my partners hates Italy .
I have to live in an international city, like NYC, Paris or London or I will be miserable. So in the US I don't see any other option. Trust me I am WAY older than you and have a lot of life experience. I am stubborn LOL, I love big cities, I need visual stimulation. I have done the surburbs I almost wanted to die.

I guess we are all attracted with things that are foreign. I think people that want to come to the states and live the 'American dream' are dillusional LOL.
It appears you now enjoy Italy only for visiting short term and just remembering it as past memories that you moved on from, and not for living there/being in that place for longer times. It probably makes you appreciate the more good valuable memories you have about that country, and to avoid the bad discouraging memories for it.

As I mentioned before, there is various levels of disappointment such as the more subtle, mild form of it and the more conspicuous, extreme, devastating form of disappointment. It seems you experienced something in between both sides of the continuum for Italy, but kind of having both of those forms of disappointment happening simultaneously.

That is fine if you don’t want to try living in Italy again anytime soon. At least you gave it a legitimate chance before, and it was a worthwhile, interesting life experience to try out.

Imagine the people that never leave their home city/town, from where they were born and raised, and never live somewhere else in their lifetime. They are more vulnerable and susceptible to having a life with lots of regrets, a lack of stimulation, and a lack of inspiration.

I am confident you would especially enjoy France, and like it more than Italy for yourself. That is also probably true for UK/England, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, and Denmark. Paris, London, Amsterdam, Brussels, Berlin, and Copenhagen are the European cities I see you having the most satisfaction living in based on your preferences.

It is probably best to try Paris and London out before New York City.

I am still surprised you think New York City is the only option and only international city in the USA? There is other options and international cities too such as Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston etc.

There is lots of international cities all over the world in plenty of different countries.

I also enjoy plenty of big cities, but I also like some other cities of all types of various sizes, and nature scenery areas.

Most suburbs I find mediocre/bland, so I am not a fan of most suburbs. Some suburbs are horrible and have a lack of quality.

I also need intellectual and visual stimulation. I have moderate to high standards, and there is still a lot of places I enjoy, have what I need to live happily, that is filled with vibrancy, and find inspiring for existence. I find there to be lots of high quality inviting places in the world for me. I was never disappointed with any place yet.

Last edited by ; 07-29-2012 at 12:00 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM

370 posts, read 654,537 times
Hi I would LOVE to go to France, I've been to Paris several times but my partner cannot speak any other languages but English and a bit of Spanish and doesn't care to learn other languages so for him being in Paris will be hard, if I was single I would go believe me. Actually Paris would be great but I have to compromise in my relationship.

I am not a fan of the mid-west so Chicago is not for me, yes its nice I agree. I am orginally from D.C. so been there all my life just need a change, if you know what I mean. Philly and Boston, I don't think so sorry. D.C. is such a charming city, so European. I am a native of Washington D.C. D.C. is the cutest city, absolutely stunning.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM

175 posts, read 273,924 times
I think "utopias" are overrated.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
Hi I would LOVE to go to France, I've been to Paris several times but my partner cannot speak any other languages but English and a bit of Spanish and doesn't care to learn other languages so for him being in Paris will be hard, if I was single I would go believe me. Actually Paris would be great but I have to compromise in my relationship.

I am not a fan of the mid-west so Chicago is not for me, yes its nice I agree. I am orginally from D.C. so been there all my life just need a change, if you know what I mean. Philly and Boston, I don't think so sorry. D.C. is such a charming city, so European. I am a native of Washington D.C. D.C. is the cutest city, absolutely stunning.
I also would love to go to France again soon. I went to that country once before, but only in Paris. I need to travel in many more areas of France.

A lot of people in that country know English. However, people from other countries that visit France should certainly attempt to learn the French language, and especially if they are going to live there.

Chicago is a nice wonderful city, but I can see how the Midwest location is discouraging for you.

After living in Florence Italy with so many worthwhile day/weekend trips in close proximity, the Midwest USA just does not have that variety of options in short distance.

I understand the need for a change of scenery from Washington DC, a place you lived in for a long time. I also need a change of scenery again from where I lived for a long time.

What are your opinions for Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco in the USA?

Outside of France, some other European countries that I can see you appreciating and being enthusiastic with are UK/England, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, and Denmark.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 AM

112 posts, read 353,846 times
I have experienced disappointment.
But to be very honest, It only came because of immaturity about the subject and because my expectations were to high.

There is a saying: Dont change the order of the world, change your desires.

I'm European and when I first went to the USA I was strongly disappointed and had a horrible culture shock.

Now I wish I could go back there as I've lowered my expectations.
Also, due to the media (which I hold as guilty for many of these fantasy expectations), people have the "grass is greener on other side" syndrome. Its a big part of the problem.

Lower your expectations, think about what u truly want out of life, and go for it.
Don't just go to a country because your life sucks in the present one

Personally my favorite region of the world is now CALIFORNIA.
I could kill someone (joking!!!) to get a Green card and work there.
Unfortunately I definitely turned my back on the USA as the ways to get a green card make it impossible for a normal immigrant to go there.

Now strongly evaluating going to Australia.
Am young and I think people should travel as much as they can while young.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I loved Australia, even became a dual national. But in the end, I was offered a great job back in the states.
Not disappointed in Oz per se, but I can tell you asthma/allergies were horrible, I had to go to the emergency room several times gasping for air. My doctor told me I was not the first north american he had seen who mvoed down under only to encounter new allergens.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Is this the "lets bash italy" thread??

Like we needed another american patriot in this forum. Now we have an italian american patriot!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World