Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
sure.
It was simply a reminder, as I believe English speakers usually do a worse job in learning a local language than others who live in America.
You're probably right. Europeans are fortunate in that they live in such close proximity to other countries visit them on vacations, etc.

It is generally accepted that there is a ideal age at which we can pick up languages well, and we should be exposed to many languages while young. It stretches the brain somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 AM

667 posts, read 940,505 times
I'm afraid that everyone will speak English, at least in the developed world. Not as a first language (except US, UK etc.), but as a second... so there will be no need to learn other languages. That's bad

Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
well, everyone would prefer if everyone just speaks his native language.
Languages rise and fall like countries do. When American stop dominating the world, the influence of English will ebb as well.

English is hardly an international language now, and will never be. Even in developed countries such as Spain, Italy, Japan etc, at least half the population doesn't speak English with any sort of fluency. Not to mention the vast developing world, including Asia and South America.
Actually English is the most global language we have by a long shot. It's the 2nd language that is mandatory starting from a young age in many, many countries- China and Thailand are a couple in Asia that I know of where this is the case. They do that because English is the international language of business, travel, commerce, etc. It doesn't mean we should expect everyone in the world to speak English, but I was just pointing this out.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, at the very least, in the US, people should speak English.
Yes and I mean no offence to anyone of these groups but I would say that it would be better economically and physically for the USA not to be promoting Spanish. That is if they don't want to become a spanish speaking country.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
well, everyone would prefer if everyone just speaks his native language.
Languages rise and fall like countries do. When American stop dominating the world, the influence of English will ebb as well.

English is hardly an international language now, and will never be. Even in developed countries such as Spain, Italy, Japan etc, at least half the population doesn't speak English with any sort of fluency. Not to mention the vast developing world, including Asia and South America.
Well could you tell me what is?

Certainly not Chinese because it is rarely spoken outside asia.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You're probably right. Europeans are fortunate in that they live in such close proximity to other countries visit them on vacations, etc.

It is generally accepted that there is a ideal age at which we can pick up languages well, and we should be exposed to many languages while young. It stretches the brain somehow.
Don't be fooled by our "close proximity" to other countries. British and Irish people make very little effort to learn the local language. When you visit spain there are pockets where almost everyone speaks english.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Default Why is English the dominant world language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Actually English is the most global language we have by a long shot. It's the 2nd language that is mandatory starting from a young age in many, many countries- China and Thailand are a couple in Asia that I know of where this is the case. They do that because English is the international language of business, travel, commerce, etc. It doesn't mean we should expect everyone in the world to speak English, but I was just pointing this out.
Linguistic imperialism

Linguistic imperialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1.4 billion speakers of English

Indeed, native speakers of English are outnumbered more than 2-to-1 by non-native speakers of the language.

Why is English the dominant world language? | TEFL Journey- jobs.ac.uk career blog

Across cultures, English is the word

"English is dominant in a way that no language has ever been before," he said. "It is vastly unclear to me what actual mechanism could uproot English given conditions as they are."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/09/wo...oc.semityn.www

Is English or Mandarin the language of the future?

English has been the dominant global language for a century, but is it the language of the future? If Mandarin Chinese is to challenge English globally, then it first has to conquer its own backyard, South East Asia.

BBC News - Is English or Mandarin the language of the future?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Default No...

Quote:
That not only applies to foreigners in America, but also Americans living abroad.

Do you know many American live in other countries such as China, Japan, France, Germany etc for years but hardly can carry on an easy conversation but never though it was necessary to learn the local language?

how many, seriously (and of course...with all due respect) how many and please site your source?

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Don't be fooled by our "close proximity" to other countries. British and Irish people make very little effort to learn the local language. When you visit spain there are pockets where almost everyone speaks english.
Certainly, if you are a guest in a country and plan to spend some time there, the correct thing to do is to learn the language.

That said, I read that the British ghettos in Spain originated because the Spanish are/were reticent to learn English. This caused the banding together of English speakers and those areas grew so that there are now vast expanses in Spain in which English is the only or major language spoken.

I'm not saying that the Spanish should in any way have felt obligated to learn English.

It's a pity, wherever this happens.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I grew up speaking english and french, changed to an english-only school, refused to try to pick it up again, and now at twenty years old, I'm mad at myself for it.

After I started travelling around and meeting people from other countries, I realized that I (as a monolingual) am missing it out, and probably come across as arrogant.

So now I am taking Spanish courses at my uni, and when I'm out of school after December, I've arranged for private lessons. I'm pretty excited about it. I've changed my entire tablet to Spanish, started reading books, and text in Spanish, too. I can already understand a lot of it, my speaking is getting better, I can write small paragraphs about different subjects, etc. It is a REALLY satisfying feeling.

Also about to start German, as I am doing a working holiday in Germany in several months time.

So in general, I agree that kids should be exposed to different languages so that it sticks easier. English certainly isn't the center of the universe like I thought it was years ago. I don't see how a translator will ever replace anything either. Even if they were perfect, you still can't physically speak the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World