Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times

Advertisements

So, now we are debating points in history that were generally before the posters here were born; certainly long enough ago that no one here would have had anything to do with it one way or the other

Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
Britain is almost not bad. French have even forgotten that they were evil. But US remains atrocious. Incomparably more than EU.

This made me chuckle out loud . I have to say that I dont think that people 'hate' America in particular, I do have to say that 'some' Americans are without doubt the most arrogant people on the planet though!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I do have to say that 'some' Americans are without doubt the most arrogant people on the planet though!

You do realize he's Russian and dumping on the US, right? He's saying that the French were evil, but the US is "incomparably" worse.

I think arrogance has much, much less to do with someone's country of birth, and much more to do with their personality. Some of the American posters here have said some plenty arrogant stuff, but seriousy, look at what some of the non-American people here have posted. It's on par in every respect.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

You do realize he's Russian and dumping on the US, right? He's saying that the French were evil, but the US is "incomparably" worse.

I think arrogance has much, much less to do with someone's country of birth, and much more to do with their personality. Some of the American posters here have said some plenty arrogant stuff, but seriousy, look at what some of the non-American people here have posted. It's on par in every respect.
I realise that it was probably lost in translation, I just thought it sounded funny thats all. I did say that it is only 'some' Americans and of course there are arrogant people all over the world, but I do have to say that the 'most' arrogant people Ive ever met are American.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I realise that it was probably lost in translation, I just thought it sounded funny thats all. I did say that it is only 'some' Americans and of course there are arrogant people all over the world, but I do have to say that the 'most' arrogant people Ive ever met are American.
In raw number, I've met more arrogant Americans simply because I live here and the bulk of the people arround me are American.

If I were to tally up "arrogance" by nation, unscientifically, based on people I've met over the course of my life? I've met an outsized number of Turkish, English, French, Dutch, Argentinian, Spanish, and Indian people who were arrogant, however I remind myself that barring England and France, I've never been to these countries and haven't had enough exposure to people from these countries in their home country to formulate a valid, sweeping opinion about their cultures and don't default to thinking that any of them are "arrogant."

It seems as though there is a contingent of people who take a certain glee in mocking American social pitfalls, pitfalls that are greatly overblown and in many cases no less a caricature than the English person stopping for tea time and saying "righto!", or the scarf-wearing Frenchman carrying baguettes home on a bike.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 AM

I am just trying to summise why somebody felt the need to post the original question - like I said I dont believe that America is particularly 'hated' but in trying to answer why 'some' people feel that may be the case I thought that I would mention perhaps its because that 'some' Americans are perceived as 'arrogant'. I have good American friends and I have to deal with a lot of Americans with my work and I find that generally Americans are friendly, polite, interesting to talk to and all round 'good guys' but I am sorry I do find 'some' Americans to be just about the most arrogant people Ive ever met.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
I can rephrase:

If you accept the American definition of democracy, then you should also accept Chinese and North Korean. Because they are no less in anything than Americans.
Come on guy. The Cold War is long over. One of us won, and the other lost.

You sound like one of those butthurt American southerners who are still complaining about the American civil war. lol. Get over it.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM

557 posts, read 673,459 times
Quote:
Nationalism is not about acknowledging some good things, but about putting one's nation above all else, yourself including.

Russia is better than anything else! America is better than anything else! Somali is better than anything else!

On a surface nationalism is simply silly. But practical realizations is what really matters - and they are always evil.

US is a "nice" modern example of evilness of nationalism. "We bring peace and democracy" stems from it. Being nationalists, Americans (enough of them to be influential) can't accept that their country is wrong. Because, thanks to nationalism, it is always better than any other country. So, Iraq (etc, etc, etc, etc...) was wrong. No matter how.

Example of a nationalist brainwashing since childhood:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

This is known as the Pledge of Allegiance, that most American kids do before the start of each school day. Disgusting.

Changes from the original are rather interesting:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

It was less nationalistic - not that it was ever even remotely acceptable.

Do You Know What The Pledge Of Allegiance Means? | Kyle Griesinger

Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish at California Schools Sparks Controversy | Fox News

Should Adults Opt Out of the Pledge of Allegiance? Should Kids? | Strollerderby

Fascism is not dead...
If you'd ever went to school in the US, you'd see how silly your post looks. The US pledge is so harmless, and unimportant to most Americans during school and after. Not to mention the fact that the pledge promotes democracy, republicanism, unity, freedom, and justice for all. These are all great institutions that all progressive people in world would want promoted.

There's nothing wrong with Americans saying the pledge. During the last olympics, did the Russian gold winners not acknowledge their country during the anthem?

And on your point about nationalism, the US probably publicly criticizes itself more than any other country, we air out our dirty laundry for the world to see, and then make a hollywood movie and sell it to our friends and enemies so that everyone knows our faults. What's funny is America never get's praised for the negative criticisms we do of ourselves on a daily bases. But if we dare acknowledge the positives we do, we're labeled ignorant, arrogant, overly nationalist hicks.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Come on guy. The Cold War is long over. One of us won, and the other lost.

You sound like one of those butthurt American southerners who are still complaining about the American civil war. lol. Get over it.
Maybe we should accept Putiiiimean, Russia's form of democracy?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
I hate those nationalities that think they are better than others. It is such an insult to those of us who really are. :^D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World