Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,918,126 times

Advertisements

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone i your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
2) Do you feel you could live in your city now owning a car?
3) Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
6) Have you ever been robbed?
7) Have people you know been robbed?
8) How safe would you say your city is?

1. Depends the zone where i am walking. There are some of them that definitively are not sure (Example: Near Retiro Station in BA).
2. Yes. Actually having a good car here is a sign for the criminals of whom I am a more tempting person to steal.
3. I don't know how much dangerous, but defitively more than a man. In fact, violations and robbery are the two mayor risks in BA security.
4. I use buses because it costs me less money
5. Define what you call as "late"
6. Yes. In my house, and in the streets. Also my brother, father, granfather, friends, etc.
7. Yes.
8. Compared to what i see on tv, its safe. Now, overall its so-so (in BA, most other cities in the country are safer). Clearly better than places as Brazil Colombia or Mexico, but still far to the first world (talking only about BA).

P.D: Sophie, I also have experienced that "little robbers" in La Plata, but many years ago (maybe ten). They couldn't steal me anything. Well, i could throw them at the street with barely a push with only one of my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia:

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone i your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?

- Pretty safe for the most part. Just avoid the east part of D.C.

2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?

- Yes, D.C. has a fairly extensive metrorail system and bus system.

- Same as #1.

4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?

- Not after 3 a.m. It's not a 24-hour city.

5) Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?

- Except for bars and clubs, most things shut down after 1 or 2 a.m.

- No

- No

- Northwest D.C. is pretty safe. Northeast and Southeast are not as safe. It's like night and day.

In Maryland, Prince George's County inside the beltway is not as safe. However, Montgomery County is very safe. And pretty much all of northern Virginia is safe.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-09-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Brisbane Australia

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)? -Yes

2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car? - Yes, I did so for several years, although i do live in the inner area of the city, most of Brisbane is very car dependent

3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night? - On the whole no, but id say most girls are very carefull and avoid it where possible

The buses to my area run 5 am to 12.30 am 7 days a week (its a bit shorter on sunday) and 24hrs on Fridays and Saturdays, anytime outside of that and i would catch a taxi, at this stage of my life that might happen once a year.

5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?

In the area within walking distance to my house, there are a number of coffee shops, bakeries, cake shops, dentists and medical practices they are normally shut by 6PM. Of the 3 supermarkets two of them trade to 9 pm, the other is open to midnight. The pub acrosss the street trades 10am - 2am 7 days. The area also a number of restaraunts and take away places that trade till 10pm-Midnight depending on what day of the week it is.

6) Have you ever been robbed? IN Brisbane No - I was robbed a couple of times in europe.

7) Have people you know been robbed? A friend of mine had a bike stolen once, my wife had her purse stolen from her bag, it was returned by police the next day, with all the money was still in it.

8) How safe would you say your city is? Average to good for a city of its size

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-09-2013 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 03:21 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,302 times
My city is tremendously dangerous.

Last week, I left my son's birthday cake out in the street to dry in the sun.

It was a magnificent creation of brioche, ice cream cones, creme fraiche, and marzipan.

Today, after not leaving my house for a few days on account of a mix-up with the TV scheduling, I left my house to check on the cake only to find it squashed flat by some irksome brute reversing a milk-lorry!!!

Imagine if that had been my son's head! He would be either dead, or at best gone special and squinting like a retard.

But I feel grateful that I do not live somewhere even worse where your shopping can be taken off you while you're still carrying it.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Sudbury, ON, Canada

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?

Yes. Worst case scenario somebody drives by shouting "NICE JEANS, F*GGOT"

I can, but it is painful and many refuse to not own one. We have horrible infrastructure.

I wouldn't think so.

Absolutely not. The last bus run for all routes is 12:30AM. What's worse is that all busses begin their route from downtown going outwards in to the suburbs and peripheries and then make a loop back at the EXACT same time. Often I'll see several different busses (different routes) all in the same area, but then there will be times when there is no bus for over an hour in that same area. They need to change this system so that busses rotate in different directions at different times.

Bars must do last call by 2AM. Retail and grocery stores are closed by 9 or 10 thanks to a strange bylaw preventing businesses from operating under their choice of hours. Tim Horton's or McDonald's are never closed, though.

Never to my knowledge.

I knew this guy who had his house broken in to, but that's pretty much the only thing I've ever heard of.

Pretty safe. I haven't been in many places that have made me feel otherwise, but I notice a lot of people seem to question these same places. I don't know what I'm missing, I guess.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
That sounds great. San Francisco sounds like an awesome city.

There are a lot of homeless here too, when i lived in other nb some of them were sleeping right outside my building , but werent dangerous at all, just sleeping there.

what part of BA do you live

i stayed in recoletta for a few days while in argentina in 2004 , nice area

Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Oslo, Norway

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
Yes, but I would probably avoid certain parts late at night (like lower Grünerløkka).

Yes, but not everywhere (like the suburbs).

Yes, some areas can be somewhat dangerous (mostly parks). The same goes for pirate taxis.

Not sure. I like in walking distance to the city center.

5) Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
Stores are closed on Sundays. Most bars close quite early (around midnight).

No.

Yes, one person but that was 15-20 years ago.

Very - compared to other cities in the Western world.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times
Pretty safe, although I take some precautions.

Yes, I could. If we're talking about BA proper, yes. If we include the enormous "conurbano" (the greater BA), then probably not. There are a lot of trains and buses that go there, but the population becomes less dense, so transportation doesn't reach every single spot.

3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?
In general, no, but I'd say it's a bit more dangerous than for men.

Yes, I could and I do most of the time.

Not everything. Well, I live in a quite quiet neighborhood, so shops close by 9 PM more ore less, except restaurants which close later (11 or 12 PM).

Yes, but as you said, Sophie, it wasn't violent. It was two times in 36 years of life. It was these guys who ask for money. I was also robbed in the city of Rosario. Other than that, no.

Yes.

As to world standards, average. Perhaps it's safer than average.
But it's less safe than first world cities in general, of course.

I agree with you that the media overexaggerate things anyway.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

For London:

1. Yes, though if I'm out at late at night I'd either be in the centre (which is safe because of the sheer number of people around) or my own neighbourhood which is one of the safer ones anyway.
2. Sure! As a single person who doesn't need to travel outside the city much I have no reason to own a car. It would be a nuisance more than a help.
3. Not a woman, so don't know...plenty of women I know do it, though they don't live in the bad neighbourhoods.
4. In my experience, yes.
5. You mean pubs? They generally close at 11 or 12 - if I want decent nightlife (not something I actually care much about) I'd have to go outside my part of town.
6. Yes, I had a motorbike stolen, and got a phone call from the police recently (two years later) telling me it had been stolen again.
7. Yes, but not very often.
8. In terms of personal safety, good enough for a city this size. It has a reputation for knife crime but that generally only affects a small section of the population. I do feel tension in the air in some places though, and I do think at some point there will be more terrorist attacks like 7/7/2005 and more riots like in summer 2011.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Yes. One of my female friends wouldn't agree. I find her a bit paranoid but then again I'm a guy.

Definitely. Though for my current commute, car is much more convenient that public transport as the freeway is next door.

See 1. Depends who you're talking to. I'm not qualified enough to answer.

Yes, I've never had a problem with them. Though I've seen a sick video of night bus violence on the Internet.

No, my neighborhood is like a ghost town after 11 pm. Though the street leading to closest subway stop is busy every 5 minutes or so, full of people going back from the city centre.

Directly, not in Paris, but in Germany once. Was alone and completely wasted, I guess it doesn't help. Got my bike stolen too.

Some of my parent's house neighbours have been burgled.

I'd say rather safe overall. Though I wouldn't recommend some neighborhoods, such as this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World