Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Physical looks aside; many Americans simply do not fit the stereotype and do not get noticed, while many Americans do fit the stereotype and get noticed.
That's definitely the truth... it's the same with anything else... it's like when people ***** about vegetarians being pushy, rude, snotty, holier-than-thou, and skinny and sickly looking... and then, I tell them that I've been a vegetarian for 13 years, and they think I'm joking, because I'm pleasant, agreeable, in shape, and they've known me for months without me even mentioning it. The most vocal and noticable are the ones that get the attention. The exact same goes for the French... people will meet one over-the-top arrogant Parisian and sneer at the French, but don't realize that the guy who just held the door for you and smiled politely is from Paris as well.

Quote:
Manner of dress is the best way to tell an American; Americans like wearing baggy jeans, even women, baggy relative to Europeans and the rest of the world really.
I dunno... in big cities, slim fit jeans for guys and skinny jeans for girls are the norm now and have been for the last 5 or so years. I think it'll go back to baggy after 90's retro hits full-force in a couple years, though.

Quote:
Also shorts, Americans like wearing shorts when it is hot, and many like the baggy ones with large baggy pockets. Some countries hardly anyone wears shorts unless it is a beach town.
They're more a regional thing as well. I don't know why so many people where them when traveling, though... I've noticed that, even here in LA, people from all over the world suddenly whip out the knee-shorts. You rarely see LA residents wear them...

Quote:
Shoes as well can stand out.
What shoes do you see Americans wear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
"What shoes do you see Americans wear?"

Sport sandals and running shoes, even on women; not common outside the US.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
"What shoes do you see Americans wear?"

Sport sandals and running shoes, even on women; not common outside the US.
We all wear Crocs and Ugs now...

Seriously though its kind of strange how people can assume what country someone is from by what kind of shoes they wear. i guess i'd understand if you seen someone wearing these http://img.tjskl.org.cn/pic/z24fe1d7...asst_sizes.jpg

Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Americans wear a lot of high top nike and addidas, uggs and a lot converse now!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Fat, with good teeth.

A few decades ago they all seemed to be tanned and wear white shoes.

Lmao right.
At least we don't have an accent that's annoying as Hell

Adam Hills - Australian accents - YouTube

Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
Not really but on the odd occasion you can. You can always spot an Irish bloke - at least here in Oz you can as they stand out next to the buff Aussies like the proverbial dogs ba*ls! They have a look generally pasty/blue-ish white, un-toned and not generally the most attractive, and always, note ALWAYS will be wearing a hideous GAA (Garlic football or hurling) jersey (note I am Irish, female and equally pasty white - even though I have lived in Oz for years *grumble*

English blokes - at least the ones in their early 20's will be wearing a Man U soccer jersey and have very short hair, possibly a tattoo and be skinny, smoking, and have a pint of lager permanently attached to their hand.

I would never be able to guess if someone was Canadian, but for some reason I can often tell if someone is American, I don't know what it is, Chevy Chase and fat camera-toting tourist jokes aside, there's just something about Americans you can spot. Maybe it's the beige chinos, navy Polo Ralph Lauren shirt and boat shoes? Neat hair and good teeth.

And you can normally tell a man if they are Aussie as they are ~ 7 times out of 10, tanned, gorgeous, tall and super buffed from all that surfing on Bondi Beach
I'm glad you put that smiley face on there. I played in a volleyball league for a couple years. The only two ugly and out of shape guys were from Australia. You have 20M people in your country, we have 300M. For every good looking Australian there are probably ten Americans that are better looking. I know you Australians think quite highly of yourselves, but you ain't all that. Hardly. You just don't really matter in the world at all.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Manner of dress is the best way to tell an American; Americans like wearing baggy jeans, even women, baggy relative to Europeans and the rest of the world really. Also shorts, Americans like wearing shorts when it is hot, and many like the baggy ones with large baggy pockets. Some countries hardly anyone wears shorts unless it is a beach town. Shoes as well can stand out. Another I find from my experience is that many Americans like wearing 1 - 3 under shirts, like they will wear a wife beater, a white t-shirt, then some collared shirt.
This is not totally true. It depends where you are in the US. If you're in a bigger city, most people are not wearing baggy jeans or baggy clothing. Not even close. In other areas, sure, but to stereotype like that is not true.

As I said awhile ago, it's regionalized. Here in Chicago, I can tell a tourist by the tshirts they wear and what not..only if they're wearing it. But it's a region thing. A tourist from say NYC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc or some other big city probably won't be dressed the same as the guy from a city of 5000 people in the middle on Indiana. Fashion is more important to a lot of people in a larger city here and you can usually tell who's from a sizable community versus a small one by just how they dress. But to say that most Americans wear **** baggy clothing is totally false. The same goes for shoes. Everything is regionalized here. It's a cultural thing. The US is full of many cultures, not just one. The culture in New York City is different than rural Mississippi, so the dress is often different (although sometimes similar). Most guys in the big cities know how to buy good shoes too. It's pretty rare to see a guy with slacks and a shirt/tie and gym shoes on still. It looks so odd.

That's the funny thing about shoes though. A lot of people do buy **** shoes and don't realize that good shoes go a long ways. A few years ago at Lollapalooza, I wore my expensive Italian leather shoes to it. VERY comfortable, very versatile shoes..people were confused and even giving me **** for it. Then not one, but two torrential downpours happened. I remember hearing everyone bitching how their shoes got ruined. I took my shoes and aired them out for 2 days and they were perfectly fine as if they never went through an almost deluge.

There are a lot of well dressed people in the states, and there's a lot who aren't, but what you said is a pretty false stereotype. By the way, I barely ever wear shorts in the summer and I have a lot of friends in the same boat. The only time you'll see me wearing shorts is at the beach or when I'm in a place like the Caribbean/Hawaii.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
So what your saying is that americans wear sports gear.

In the uk it is the opposite people are obsessed with looking good.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I still think white Americans have more in common appearance-wise with continental Europeans than British.
I dont think so.

You come here and live. Mainland europeans have yellowish skin (white europeans) whereas we have pure white skin. They also have totally different eyes. Their eyes are like long and thin or something.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
If you cant tell the difference between white Brits and white Americans, obviously a) havent spent time in both regions and/ or b) not observant to physical details

There's a great difference in looks between white Brits and white Americans. And it aint just the teeth, body frame or dressing.

Also in regards to the OP, of course the designation "American" will include those of many many colors, but in regards to white Americans- there CAN be an "American look" (white ppl)..it is hard to describe until one goes to other western or anglo-phone countries and notices the differences. Again, those who do not notice are simply not sharp-eyed in the details.
Show me proof then. Ive been to florida, north dakota, georgia, minnesota etc and the people there looked no different to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World