Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
1. True enough
2. Absolutely not true - at least not anymore than any other country. Some of our favorite comedians have their careers to thank for the humor done at the American expense. Even rednecks love redneck humor. We love to make fun of ourselves.
3. Possibly. But to be honest, I found plenty of people from all over the world who were equally naive outside of their little corner of the world. I think this is more myth than reality.

everything is relative but ive seen americans get taken aback by the kind of sarcastic , tongue in cheek - ironic cutting humour we have over here , in ireland people often insult someone if they like them

Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
They're just jealous of what we have.
what is it that you have which others are jealous of ?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM

557 posts, read 673,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Its not exclusive to Americans however, it might just be the type of "humor" people like in different countries. How would your link be any more offensive to americans than this one is to Australians?

Monty Python - Bruce - YouTube

The Simpsons made an entire episode about Australia, which was packed full of racial stereotypes and horrible inaccuracies that made all Australians look pretty stupid.
There's a difference between a stereotypical joke and a religious bashing session that's held by every country in the world. Show me the string of videos where Australians are continually bashed by almost every nationality.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM

557 posts, read 673,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
in this clip, don draper represents america, and the short runty guy represents the rest of the anglosphere.

Don Says: "I Don't Think About You At All" - YouTube
I must say, this is pretty much spot on

Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I am an American and a well traveled one and I also would like to know the answer to that one.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Umm, we live on the best country in the universe..! Does ireland have Deserts, Palm trees, Mountains and Redwood forest?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Umm, we live on the best country in the universe..! Does ireland have Deserts, Palm trees, Mountains and Redwood forest?

That is just an opinion and what everyone says about their own country. Maybe Irish Bob doesn't care about palm trees and deserts. Maybe he likes the green countryside of Ireland after all it isn't called the Emerald Isle for nothing. maybe he likes the smell of the land. The whiskey and the food on and on. You really have to come up with more than one liner drive bys or you'll make us look bad.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
That is just an opinion and what everyone says about their own country. Maybe Irish Bob doesn't care about palm trees and deserts. Maybe he likes the green countryside of Ireland after all it isn't called the Emerald Isle for nothing. maybe he likes the smell of the land. The whiskey and the food on and on. You really have to come up with more than one liner drive bys or you'll make us look bad.
Yeah i know, i'm just playing around.... but i personally think this country is the best for me.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
2. americans tend to be minus the self depreciating gene which british and irish people have in spades , americans without an ounce of irony will blow their own trumpet , people who do that are not well liked in this part of the world , in america , if your good at something , you tell the world about it and the people love you for it , americans worship winners where as in europe we slightly despise them
This is definitely the best point - the patriotic nature of most Americans is not well-received here, patriotism in general is just not what we do. Absolutely cringe-worthy.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yeah i know, i'm just playing around.... but i personally think this country is the best for me.

The is the best answer I have ever heard. "For me" makes it a super winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World