Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
You're cherry picking anecdotal incidents for your anti-american agenda.

America has brought more good to the world than bad, and compared with Superpowers of the past, the US is more kinder. So you can go on trying to spread you anti-american propaganda, but the facts disagree with you.
Just a bunch of haters, they will always find a reason to hate no matter what you tell them.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:

America has brought more good to the world than bad, and compared with Superpowers of the past, the US is more kinder. So you can go on trying to spread your anti-american propaganda, but the facts disagree with you.
I don't agree.
You're providing nothing but your opinion.

We were pretty kind to those Native Americans and Chinese immigrants, too.
Smallpox anyone?

Show me where I was wrong.
Tell the dead people from the US trained and US soldiers and drones that.
Talk about delusion.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't agree.

Smallpox anyone?

Talk about delusion.
There are very few countries that can claim moral superiority on anything. Switzerland is practically the only one. But, meh, I don't deal in such frivolities. I don't see how living with a chip on my shoulder 24/7 is a good thing

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:

America has brought more good to the world than bad, and compared with Superpowers of the past, the US is more kinder. So you can go on trying to spread your anti-american propaganda, but the facts disagree with you.

I don't agree with everything "chielgirl" has to say but I recognize her right to say it. She is an American and to try to keep an American from criticizing his or her own country by using , to me, is tantamount to censorship. I am not saying that "drknoble" has gone over te line I am just using that post to illustrate the point. Americans are just as guilty as others as criticizing other countries beyond good taste. We are not always the good guys either. We have forgotten how to criticize ourselves. Remember it was many of the people who founded this country who were its most vocal critics.

An individual who foes not have the intestinal fortitude to criticize their own nation when need be, does not deserve the title of "patriot".

Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 AM

Is this thread about the US citizens or about the government?

The government and citizens have very different views on foreign policy, government likes to stick its nose in everything, citizens don't even care or take acknowledge the rest of the or world exist.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM

557 posts, read 673,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't agree.

Smallpox anyone?

Talk about delusion.
I'm sorry to burst your anti-American bubble but the world has become the most peaceful since the US became a superpower. Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com

Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to burst your anti-American bubble but the world has become the most peaceful since the US became a superpower. Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com
That's not necessarily because of the US.
You're posting a link to an opinion piece (twice) doesn't make it more than one person's opinion.

You'll never burst my anti-US bubble. The only thing that will do that is the US cleaning up its act.
People who are pushy and we're no. 1 proponents are the main reason for my opinion.

So, you're going to provide something of note to dispute that we've caused over 1 million deaths since we became a country?
Go ahead, try.

Here's a few links just on the deaths since WWII:
http://www.countercurrents.org/lucas240407.htm
http://richa.dod.net/warandpeace/howmanydeaths.htm
*Ruth Leger Sivard has documented the deaths resulting directly from wars since 1945. Up through 1992, that figure is a little over 23 million people. The USA must be held accountable for a substantial portion, though by no means all, of those deaths. But that is only a small fraction of all the deaths during that period that may reasonably be attributed to USA policies and activities. Citing research by William Eckhardt, Sivard estimated several years ago that 15-20 million people die “needless” deaths every year; that “society has the means, if not the political will, to prevent them.”

I wonder about the people who refuse to look at the US for what it really is, not for what the propaganda states.
Is it fear?
The US needs to go gently into that good night and take care of its citizens, and remove itself from the world.
It's made a mess of the world through its interference.

Quote:
She can criticize, but I can also criticize hear incorrect statements and anecdotal cherry picking for anti-Americanism. As an open society, the US criticizes and airs out its dirty laundry more than any other country, which is why so many people who have never been to the US think they know more than people who have lived here their whole lives.
Hogwash.

[Mod cut: personal]

I'm a US citizen who's probably a lot older than you.
I've lived in the US, Asia and Europe.

[Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 02-07-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Do people from outside the states think everyone here supports everything about our country including foreign policy? Is that why "it's cool to bash Americans" because they people think we're all war loving rednecks?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
^^I think a lot of the "American bashing" has more to do with a resentment/jealousy of perceived US cultural and economic power.

Having said that there also seems to be a significant number of Americans who seem to have a problem seeing the world beyond their own national borders which can frustrate the outside world I guess.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
I would like to see where the world would be if the U.S. did not intervene in a lot of conflicts.

I imagine most of Europe would be war torn, and the middle east would be Iraq, Saudia Arabia and Iran, with all the smaller countries gobbled up by one of those 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World