Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,320,592 times

Advertisements

What are your country's three most popular ethnic foods? Meaning what are the most popular types of ethnic foods eaten in your nation in which they make up most of the restuarants and consumed by most citizens.

For the U.S. (in order)
1. Chinese
2. Italian
3. Mexican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Japanese and Thai have come up a lot in the past couple of decades but i'd still say it'd be a toss up between Chinese, Japanese and Italian. Those 3 would be the most popular, I couldn't rank them though. Sushi and pizza are pretty mainstream nowadays.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Hard Question to Answer really? For Australia I Would say

1) Chinese
2) Italian
3) Thai

Throw in Indian and Japanese and you would almost certainly have the 5 most popular types or ethnic foods in the country, placing them in an order is the tricky part.

Edit: Sorry Trimac, looks like we posted at exactly the same time!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Very Hard Question to Answer really? For Australia I Would say

1) Chinese
2) Italian
3) Thai

Throw in Indian and Japanese and you would almost certainly have the most popular 5 types or ethnic food in the country, placing them in an order is the tricky part.

Edit: Sorry Trimac, looks like we posted at exactly the same time!
Japanese seems more popular than Thai here at least, judging by the sheer number of restaurants, but there are tons of Thai places. For some reason though it doesn't seem like there are many Thai places in food-courts whereas in my local shopping centre alone there are 3 Japanese places!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Japanese seems more popular than Thai here at least, judging by the sheer number of restaurants, but there are tons of Thai places. For some reason though it doesn't seem like there are many Thai places in food-courts whereas in my local shopping centre alone there are 3 Japanese places!

But are they areal Japanese? Or a place that says it is, but makes generic asian tasting food? We have places like that all over the U.S.A. We also have a lot of places that say they are Thai, but in reality they carry one Thai dish and the rest is Chinese.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM

148 posts, read 188,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
But are they areal Japanese? Or a place that says it is, but makes generic asian tasting food? We have places like that all over the U.S.A. We also have a lot of places that say they are Thai, but in reality they carry one Thai dish and the rest is Chinese.

so much this, the good places that have the real ethnic food have trouble staying afloat most likely due to most americans not having a taste for it, which sucks

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
1. Indonesian-Chinese ("Chinese" restaurants serve mostly Indonesian food here)
2. Italian
3. French? Greek? Turkish?

The most common restaurants are Indo-Chinese and Italian, not sure what to put third. Possibly French, Greek or Turkish, there are quite a few of those.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Yes some of them are owned/run by Chinese people, same with Thai or Vietnamese, but I think these days with more competition we're seeing more authentic Japanese. Sushi isn't really that hard to make, though...I can easily tell when the teriyaki chicken or something isn't very authentic...I've also had 'teriyaki beef' that tasted more like Mongolian beef .

Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post
so much this, the good places that have the real ethnic food have trouble staying afloat most likely due to most americans not having a taste for it, which sucks

I had trouble staying polite in a conversation today. A co-worked mentioned they went to a Japanese restaurant and it was so good. They raved about how authentic it was.

I asked where she went. It was a Benhihana's. I had to just politely say oh and try to change the subject. Bad enough, she went to a city with awesome local restaurants and choose a chain. Even worst, she felt it was authentic.

In the spirit of the thread:

Chinese (fake mostly)
Italian (again Americanized)
Greek (In Ohio at least)

Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,088 times
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean- most of the US will lump them all together- like having Chinese, Thai, Japanese and a Mongolian stir-fry all on the same premises. You see it all over the US except the West Coast big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World