Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
When I was young and naive and traveling the globe I could,'t detect a Canadian accent. I can now only if a couple words are spoken like "about" or others I can't think of. But really if someone is from Vancoover they are going to sound like me from San Francisco. The West coast of the USA sounds like the West coast of Canada.

Natnasci I don't know how many times I said I was Canadian while traveling in developing countries while Bush was president or when the US did something awful that I was embarrassed about. Sometimes it is nice to have a low profile and especially for political purposes. In 2004 and 2005 while traveling in Africa and Asia for 18 months I met so many Americans saying they were Canadian. That is definitely a compliment.

Now I am getting even farther off topic but the Québécois are quite a different breed while traveling. I have been to Québéc and they are nice people but I shouldn;t generalize but that ones that travel in developing countries stick to themselves and seem to have a chip on their shoulder. I know that is a generalization but it is a common occurrence with my experience with the Québécois abroad.
The accents on the west coast of Canada and the U.S. are similar and people from the U.K. or Australia probably can't tell the difference, you and I can. It's doesn't take long to spot someone from the U.S. because of the elongated vowel sound in out, house etc. Not to forget the pronunciation of process and many other words and terms.

I have heard stories of Americans pretending to be Canadians while travelling and honestly I don't think most Canadians like it, since when people travel they do in a way represent their country and it also is unfair to the people you are meeting. They now see no difference between a Canadian and American. I'm not saying the difference is good or bad, but there is a difference and people who meet others deserve at least that amount of respect. I also find it rather sad that people have to lie, but on a certain level I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Perhaps something like this:
Hey, where did you find that picture of my husband??????

Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
When I'm abroad in Asia or Europe or even Canada, people look at me and assume I'm from New York. I don't know why.
I wonder why? That's interesting.

People always figure out pretty quickly that I'm from the south - it usually takes about two seconds of listening to my drawl and watching my big grin for them to pinpoint the region. I don't "sound Texan" though so that's often a surprise.

Oh, I'm also not usually wearing cowboy boots and a bandana, so that really throws them.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course, often they start asking sort of crazy questions (some on this forum might label such stereotypical questions as "ignorant" but I prefer to call them "friendly curiosity") like, "Wow, do you live on a ranch? Do you really ride a horse to work? .

Oh yeah, Canadians get that too.

Like, this is what my house looks like:

And this is how I get to work at the maple syrup factory:

Old 04-07-2013, 01:57 PM

139 posts, read 328,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can't imagine lying about where I was from - I've never been ashamed to tell people I'm from Texas or the US.

And invariably, when I say I'm from Texas, a big grin breaks out across their faces and the conversation really picks up! Of course, often they start asking sort of crazy questions (some on this forum might label such stereotypical questions as "ignorant" but I prefer to call them "friendly curiosity") like, "Wow, do you live on a ranch? Do you really ride a horse to work? How do you like living in a desert?" Or they assume, because I live in Texas, that I voted for GWB and wanted Rick Perry to be President. No matter - I don't let that sort of thing offend me. It's an opportunity to share what life in Texas is REALLY like - and to set some misconceptions straight in a friendly manner.
Should Americans pretend to be Canadian while traveling abroad?

Why are Americans Disguising themselves as Canadians?

American abroad? Try traveling Canadian - US news - Weird news | NBC News

If you do a quick internet search you will see tons of info on this subject. It is a VERY common practice. And the first two articles, while one was against the idea, said she would have done it if she was traveling during the 2004 elections.

Believe me you would NOT be saying you were from Texas when Bush was in office.

But that is just one example. Oh I thought of a less important reason. When in the market not saying you are American just so they don't take you for a millionaire and charge way too much. I have often said I was French because I was fascinated by France and know their history inside and out. I know the language and I know more about France then Canada. Well I have lived in France a few times so it makes sense i would know more.

My sister and I transited through Saudi Arabia but we couldn't leave the airport. I would have said I was Canadian if someone in the Riyadh airport would have asked.

I haven't done it often but there are some places and some circumstances where you DO NOT want to be American.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The accents on the west coast of Canada and the U.S. are similar and people from the U.K. or Australia probably can't tell the difference, you and I can. It's doesn't take long to spot someone from the U.S. because of the elongated vowel sound in out, house etc. Not to forget the pronunciation of process and many other words and terms.

I have heard stories of Americans pretending to be Canadians while travelling and honestly I don't think most Canadians like it, since when people travel they do in a way represent their country and it also is unfair to the people you are meeting. They now see no difference between a Canadian and American. I'm not saying the difference is good or bad, but there is a difference and people who meet others deserve at least that amount of respect. I also find it rather sad that people have to lie, but on a certain level I understand it.
Natnasci I have only done it a handful of times. Considering how much I have traveled it is a very low percentage.

You hear about the Americans that sew a Canadian flag on their backpack so people think they are Canadian. That is so not me. But I will do it if I need to.

But more often I say I am French because I can fake a bad French accent speaking English and it is just easier for me. The places I am faking this they don't clue in.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Natnasci I have only done it a handful of times. Considering how much I have traveled it is a very low percentage.

You hear about the Americans that sew a Canadian flag on their backpack so people think they are Canadian. That is so not me. But I will do it if I need to.

But more often I say I am French because I can fake a bad French accent speaking English and it is just easier for me. The places I am faking this they don't clue in.
Sounds exhausting....

At the end of the first article the author states "Note: So no one gets too sensitive, I love Canada and this has nothing to do with Canada itself."

Huh? It has EVERYTHING to do with Canada. Using MY countries identity while travelling is identify theft. His statement sounds rather arrogant.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Sounds exhausting....

At the end of the first article the author states "Note: So no one gets too sensitive, I love Canada and this has nothing to do with Canada itself."

Huh? It has EVERYTHING to do with Canada. Using MY countries identity while travelling is identify theft. His statement sounds rather arrogant.
Well like I said I do it with France. Not exhausting at all. It is quite fun. Once when I first moved back to San Francisco after over a year in Paris I went to a party here. I faked a French accent the whole time and it was quite amusing. I was young, others were young. I could never get people my age to believe it now. My accent is not that good. It is fun though.

I remember on one trip years ago many people told me to say I was Canadian. I don't remember what kind of trouble the US was getting into but it was bad enough that harm could be done to me if I said I was American and whatever country I was going to. If it will prevent me from being harmed you bet your booty I'll say I am Canadian.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Sounds exhausting....

Why is it almost always West Coast and New England Americans that do Canadian "identity theft" when abroad? There is absolutely no reason for that. If they really feel the need to do that, then they're in the wrong country or they are insecure about their nationality. I can understand when it comes to not being ripped off, but because of a political election? People everywhere in the world need to grow up and get an education.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Well like I said I do it with France. Not exhausting at all. It is quite fun. Once when I first moved back to San Francisco after over a year in Paris I went to a party here. I faked a French accent the whole time and it was quite amusing. I was young, others were young. I could never get people my age to believe it now. My accent is not that good. It is fun though.

I remember on one trip years ago many people told me to say I was Canadian. I don't remember what kind of trouble the US was getting into but it was bad enough that harm could be done to me if I said I was American and whatever country I was going to. If it will prevent me from being harmed you bet your booty I'll say I am Canadian.
I'm guessing a lot of those around you knew exactly what you were doing, but were too polite to point it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World