Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brasília vs Canberra vs Ottawa
Brasília 4 9.09%
Canberra 9 20.45%
Ottawa 31 70.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 04:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,895,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
He said "of it's size" ....which is a metro population of about 1.5 million....
so in comparison to similar size cities to Ottawa......not NYC, LA, Chicago....

Providence, Rhode Island ....founded 1636...metro population 1.6 million
Jacksonville, Florida.....founded 1822.....metro population 1.6 million
Milwaukee, Wisconsin....founded 1846....metro population 1.5 million
Oklahoma City......founded 1889....metro population 1.4 million
Raleigh, North Carolina...founded 1792....metro population 1.4 million
Memphis, Tennessee....founded 1819....metro population 1.3 million
Richmond, Virginia....founded 1737...metro population 1.3 million

Those are comparable US cities of a similar size to Ottawa.

Ottawa was founded as 'Bytown" in 1826....and renamed "Ottawa" in 1855.

Of the US cities...Providence sticks out as being much older...
and most aren't really more interesting to visit in comparison to Ottawa,
and Ottawa is just as urban ....if not more urban.
I've been to Providence, Memphis and Richmond and I enjoyed them all. Each has some pretty cool nabe's and fun things to do. In terms of urbanity I don't know if i'd give them the nod over Ottawa, but I don't think they're too far behind. Beale street in Memphis imo has no equal in the list you provided for example. Ottawa does have more striking architecture and is more beautiful imo but Ottawa is a national capital so it has a has a lot of Governmental and Institutional clout. It also packs a big punch for museums and art galleries.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-10-2023 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 09:58 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,387,552 times
Ottawa in winter is unlike any city in the US, Australia or Brazil and becomes an icy wonderland. The Rideau Canal (usually) freezes solid for several months and is plowed and open to ice skating. The canal is about 8 miles long, and has ice skating rental stands out on the ice, along with food and beverage vendors. There are streetlights along the canal, so in the darkness of the late afternoon or evening it has a beautiful glow of the lights reflecting off the ice. Some people even commute to work along the canal on ice skates! Of course, wear warm clothing, hats and gloves.

February 3-22 there is a winter carnival (Winterlude) with an ice sculpture contest on the lake at the end of Rideau Canal. You can skate from downtown to the lake and see the sculptures in progress, then skate back for an incredible workout. There is also a famous winter endurance triathlon of ice skating, running and cross country skiing (in nearby Gatineau Park, Quebec).

Old 01-11-2023, 04:52 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I've been to Providence, Memphis and Richmond and I enjoyed them all. Each has some pretty cool nabe's and fun things to do. In terms of urbanity I don't know if i'd give them the nod over Ottawa, but I don't think they're too far behind. Beale street in Memphis imo has no equal in the list you provided for example. Ottawa does have more striking architecture and is more beautiful imo but Ottawa is a national capital so it has a has a lot of Governmental and Institutional clout. It also packs a big punch for museums and art galleries.
Good point about Beale St. Ottawa also doesn't have anything like that. The closest thing would be the Byward Market but it's not really comparable to "party streets" like Beale. Though as you said, few US cities in this size range - or even most larger ones - have something like Beale.

That said, much of Memphis is well... like Memphis. Most people wouldn't want to live in these neighbourhoods if they had a choice.

Ottawa definitely has a greater number of attractive, livable urban neighbourhoods.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:54 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,861,180 times
Ottawa has a lot of places like this https://goo.gl/maps/yMz4RBgzzUwbn32FA

only reason the land area is large

I guess they want to make it a district/city state with farmlands included as part of it . The farmlands are kind of cool honestly

Old 01-11-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Ottawa has a lot of places like this https://goo.gl/maps/yMz4RBgzzUwbn32FA

only reason the land area is large

I guess they want to make it a district/city state with farmlands included as part of it . The farmlands are kind of cool honestly
Definitely true that it's interesting, though there wasn't much thinking behind it. There was the old Ottawa city proper that was ringed with suburban municipalities that had within them both semi-dense suburban areas adjacent to the city of Ottawa's old limits, and also those large rural areas. When the new mega-Ottawa was created they simply folded the outlying municipalities into Ottawa "as is", as opposed to carving them up - i.e. annexing the denser parts to Ottawa, but leaving the more rural outside outside of the new city limits.

In any event, way more Ottawans live in places like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1+...5.6823315!10e5

... than in those rural areas.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good point about Beale St. Ottawa also doesn't have anything like that. The closest thing would be the Byward Market but it's not really comparable to "party streets" like Beale. Though as you said, few US cities in this size range - or even most larger ones - have something like Beale.

That said, much of Memphis is well... like Memphis. Most people wouldn't want to live in these neighbourhoods if they had a choice.

Ottawa definitely has a greater number of attractive, livable urban neighbourhoods.
It's funny I was thinking of Byward market against Beale st and definitely a different vibe. Nothing against Byward, its cool but it just lacks the panache of Beale. Another city whose metro is similar in size to Ottawa is New Orleans. I know there are issues in NOLA but man what a city. The French Quarter speaks for itself and has absolutely no analogue in the hemisphere and same with Bourbon street. Throw in a festival and a New Orleans Saints game and there are few party streets like it anywhere.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
It's funny I was thinking of Byward market against Beale st and definitely a different vibe. Nothing against Byward, its cool but it just lacks the panache of Beale. Another city whose metro is similar in size to Ottawa is New Orleans. I know there are issues in NOLA but man what a city. The French Quarter speaks for itself and has absolutely no analogue in the hemisphere and same with Bourbon street. Throw in a festival and a New Orleans Saints game and there are few party streets like it anywhere.
At the very least, one can say that New Orleans is uncontested in its weight class in terms of one specific type of urban experience.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
At the very least, one can say that New Orleans is uncontested in its weight class in terms of one specific type of urban experience.
I think it's uncontested in terms of urban experience in almost any weight class. We went on some tours too and the history of the place is fascinating. We even went into Lafitte blacksmith shop bar. Anyway I could go on and a bit smitten

Old 01-13-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I think it's uncontested in terms of urban experience in almost any weight class. We went on some tours too and the history of the place is fascinating. We even went into Lafitte blacksmith shop bar. Anyway I could go on and a bit smitten
As a place to visit, most definitely. As a place to live, it's a bit of a different story.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,574,676 times
Quote:
As a place to visit, most definitely. As a place to live, it's a bit of a different story.
I have a friend that loves New Orleans, and had to go for business at least twice a year. He basically said the same thing. Outside of the areas that tourist like to visit, it is another world, and not in the good sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World