Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
No, it isn't. People pay big $$$ to live in a neighbourhood with good primary schools. Unthinkable over here.
State universities suck(with a few exceptions) and for my liking there are a few too many uncertainties in your statement(which I conveniently marked bold for you).

There are around 50 million people in the US without health insurance, many more that are under insured and even those that are insured pay big $$$ for treatment. I have heard first hand Dutch people having to pay 8500$ in the US for giving birth despite having 'full health insurance' from their employer. Unthinkable over here. Don't even get me started on health care in the US.

@hobbes: Don't put words in my mouth that I never said and make a coherent story. I don't have the time to reply to all that.
Yeah, I was born and raised in America, but by all means you know more than me! I should start educating you about the Netherlands, dumb____

The person above proves that ignorance and arrogance goes far beyond only Americans lol.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:

@hobbes: Don't put words in my mouth that I never said and make a coherent story. I don't have the time to reply to all that.
Yes, because you have no evidence to support any of your claims. You make grossly exaggerated claims, and provide zero evidence to support them. When evidence proving you wrong is presented, you switch the argument to something else. You're doing right above this post with more misinformed assertions.

Quote:
State universities suck(with a few exceptions) and for my liking there are a few too many uncertainties in your statement(which I conveniently marked bold for you).
You clearly have absolutely no idea what in-state tuition means. And how can anyone claim that "state universities" suck "with few exceptions". Just a ridiculous claim drro. That must be why people come from all over the world to go to them.

Quote:
No, it isn't. People pay big $$$ to live in a neighbourhood with good primary schools. Unthinkable over here.
So because people pay more money to live in a better neighborhood with better schools, that means that education isn't free? What? Dutch people don't pay more money to live in better areas? Why do Dutch people make sure their kids go to different schools than those attended by recent immigrants?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Yes, because you have no evidence to support any of your claims. You make grossly exaggerated claims, and provide zero evidence to support them. When evidence proving you wrong is presented, you switch the argument to something else. You're doing right above this post with more misinformed assertions.

You clearly have absolutely no idea what in-state tuition means. And how can anyone claim that "state universities" suck "with few exceptions". Just a ridiculous claim drro. That must be why people come from all over the world to go to them.

So because people pay more money to live in a better neighborhood with better schools, that means that education isn't free? What? Dutch people don't pay more money to live in better areas? Why do Dutch people make sure their kids go to different schools than those attended by recent immigrants?
We as Americans shouldn't argue with people from inferior countries for too long.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:58 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
We as Americans shouldn't argue with people from inferior countries for too long.
I guess that's why the Netherlands has produced nothing worth mentioning to the rest of the world lol. Jealously at its finest.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:04 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Life in the US and in Europe is not all that different. I grew up and spent the first 35 years of my life in San Diego. I have been living in Germany for 14 years. I prefer it here but really it´s not all that different.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:05 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Well, we kicked your &*$$& in speed skating. And, we have not become the running joke of the whole world in general.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:14 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
More than just a few exceptions. All the state universities in California are very good, a couple of them are among the US' top universities. Michigan has good state universities. The University of Washington (Seattle), and the U of Oregon are good schools. New York's extensive public university system is excellent. In the meantime, several European countries' universities are considered to be languishing, in serious need of modernizing the curriculum and improving the quality of instruction. But they're free. meh. I guess you get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro;
There are around 50 million people in the US without health insurance, many more that are under insured
Not anymore. You'd better brush up on current events in the US.

Having health coverage doesn't mean anything, necessarily. It doesn't do any good to have coverage if the doctors don't provide a service, or if your wait for an apppointment + another wait for treatment are so long, that you die before you get treatment. I know working-class people in Europe who always keep money set aside to pay for private doctors, because they say the docs in the state system don't take patient concerns seriously.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I guess that's why the Netherlands has produced nothing worth mentioning to the rest of the world lol. Jealously at its finest.

Except for women.

http://i.imgur.com/kSzH2.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-17-2014 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 03-16-2014, 03:21 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Except for women.

She is beautiful...Let's put a base there so she can fall for an American...LOL

Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Education is free in America, so that's tough to beat lol. When it comes to universities, if you go to a university in your state, you get in-state tuition, which is very cheap, plus you can get financial aid (most people qualify) and some may even get a free ride and then some extra money for housing.

Healthcare is expensive as hell in America. However, the quality of it is terrific. I saw a report (don't have the link anymore) that shows success rates for different diseases per country. America was #1 in every single disease. The problem is some people cannot afford health insurance, so it's a catch 22. I lived a few years in Australia and I actually support a universal healthcare system similar to the ones in Europe and Australia. I would like a system similar to America's school system where you have free public healthcare and private insurance for private doctors for those who want premium care. I pay $310/month for health insurance and have a $1,500 deductable. Once I spend $1,500 in one year, I only have to pay 20% of my medical costs for that year.

Once again, everything is NOT black and white as many people here tend to believe on both sides of aisle!
Sorry, as an American I will have to disagree with one of your points here. You do get a discount for in state tuition vs if you are attending another state's state schools, however it is still ridiculously expensive, even at State Universities. Prices have gone up exponentially in the last 30 years, it's extremely difficult for the average family to put even 1 child through college. Can't say the status of European colleges/universities and what they pay, because I honestly don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World