Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather vacation?
Madrid 43 50.59%
Milan 9 10.59%
Toronto 9 10.59%
Sydney 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:48 PM

570 posts, read 511,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihey View Post
And concerning crime and the welfare system.
Another pisser.
You guys believe too much of your own propaganda.
What's the average pension in Australia compared to Denmark or just about any other country from Europe you wish to mention,,,?
In what place does Australia's health care system come on the United nations list ?
They say Americans are stupid,????
The Healthcare system ranks #2 or #8 in the world depends on what source you prefer... The country has one of the highest life expectancies in the world.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/t...ystems-2017-1/

Healthcare study ranks Australia second best in developed world, while US comes in last - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

In the Australian system, mandatory employer contributions are paid into private sector arrangements (super). With all the money I contribute into my super account I won't have to worry when I am 60 years old, but even then, the government payment rates aren't that bad.Plus some other benefits such as cheaper public transport, medicines, etc.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/ind...-pension/39901

Australia, ranked third in the world with a score of 75.7, is often cited as a model for Britain’s new workplace pensions programme.

I don't care about Denmark, I wouldn't live in such a gloomy country when I am in my 60's. Are you from the States? that would be ridiculous if you are criticising Australia...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Another one with an inferiority complex.
Visa? What a laugh.
Buddy I'd rather be in the most remote corner of Europe than live in the forgotten civilization that is Australia.
The only migrants Australia
gets are people from third world countries.
Certainly not northern Europeans.

Your obviously not going to see as many homeless in Australian cities as those cities are more like the size of villages.
Read that Australia is the ice capital of the world.
Easy to believe.
For such an uninhabited country I've never seen anything like it.
'Forgotten civilisation" yeah right, one of the most developed and countries in the world... people from third world countries? no mate, Australia has one of the best immigration systems, it is for SKILLED people. So many countries want to copy it, including the UK and USA.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/gen...on-system.html

Trump wants to copy Australia

"not northern Europeans" lol, I have met lots of Scandinavians that want to stay here because the lifestyle is so good. You see lots of them doing the second year working holiday visa in farms to stay here longer. Also, the people with the highest rate of visa overstayers are British people.

Spain, Portugal, Greece and Italy are all bankrupt. lol

Last edited by usuariodeldia; 06-12-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
And just one more thing.
Do you're insinuating Australian cities are dynamic?
What time do the shops close? Lofl
I mean .
Were walking through the Sydney CBD at 9 pm on a Friday night and the restaurants are completely dead.
Chapel Street in Melbourne. Same.
Sure.
Australian cities are as huge as London with the nightlife equal to Madrid and an equal shopping scene to Milan.
In your dreams.
Just found out we have to catch a taxi when we leave from Melbourne airport on Thursday.
Wow. Great infrastructure.
No high speed services or any sort of train for that matter to take you to the airport.
Terrific.
Melbourne has a good bus service that links the airport with the city "The Skybus". They will build the airport link in the foreseeable future. You complain about the shops closing early when in reality it is not that bad. In Germany, shops don't open on Sunday. Supermarkets in Sydney close around 12 am, restaurants?? hmm, lots of things going on in Newtown, Surry Hills, etc. You definitely went to the wrong part of the town. Dead? I found SF really dead, and please, we are in winter. All the cities in Europe, including your beloved Madrid, are completely dead and boring in winter, we still have lots of sunshine and amazing weather. I went to the beach on Sunday.... cry me a river.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,987,254 times
Sydney.

Not only is it a place that I always have an interest in visiting but it is a place that I aspire to own property-to-live-in one day (and one of my most favorite cities on Earth).

This must be a really old thread, I no longer have any interest in Toronto and would never want to live there, yet it says that I voted for it in the poll. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice and good city but I don't want to envision any scenario where it would be an option for me as my home city, it's not my type of place, that's all. I rarely ever even participate in City-Data thread polls, so this really must be an old topic. Old indeed. I have never been to Milan and would like to see it at least once in my life, so that way I can add it to my "traveled to" list, which is my lifelong work. I am fortunate in that I have seen Madrid once already, phenomenal city and I have no issues with the idea of ever going back to see it again, however, I would not ever want to live there (and same goes for Milan).

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-12-2018 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 AM

231 posts, read 333,512 times
If Toronto had Sydney’s weather it would be one of the best cities on the planet, if not the best.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 AM

89 posts, read 76,319 times
Architecture MADRID *Toronto and Sydney look like the US, and Milan is rather uninspiring*

Beaches SYDNEY *DUHH*

Diversity PERHAPS SYDNEY *A nice mix of people from everywhere in sunny weather*

Downtown MADRID *No brainer, Milan is the duomo, Sydney has a cute downtown but nothing to write home about, Toronto is a big suburban sprawl surrounding a US like downtown*

Culture MADRID *It has 24-7 nightlife and an enormous variety of bars, pubs, theaters, opera, cabarets, and more*

Entertainment MADRID *See above*

Events MADRID *See above*

Food - Pricing and Diversity MADRID *MAdrid is cheap, and has excellent food*

History MADRID *It was the capital of an empire, that beats the other three*

Museum MADRID *It has some of the largest and most important museus on the planet*

Natural Beauty MILAN *The stunning Alps are nearby*

Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban MADRID *Neighborhood type city with eclectic personality.*

Nightlife MADRID *DUHHHH*

Parks SYDNEY *Beaches, and open spaces*

Safety MADRID *Not sure I feel safe in Milan at 3am, like I do in Madrid*

Shopping MILAN *The only thing that city is truly good for*

Shows MADRID *Again, see earlier*

Sports MADRID *Real Madrid*

Transit MADRID *Toronto and Sydney have terrible American city like pblic transportation*

Uniqueness MADRID *Toronto and Sydney feel like the US, Milan lacks personality*

Urbanity MADRID *The entire city is covered in trams, subway, buses, virtually you can go anywhere within Madrid in minutes thanks to the awesome way the city is laid out*

Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,694,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Sydney.

Not only is it a place that I always have an interest in visiting but it is a place that I aspire to own property-to-live-in one day (and one of my most favorite cities on Earth).

This must be a really old thread, I no longer have any interest in Toronto and would never want to live there, yet it says that I voted for it in the poll. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice and good city but I don't want to envision any scenario where it would be an option for me as my home city, it's not my type of place, that's all. I rarely ever even participate in City-Data thread polls, so this really must be an old topic. Old indeed. I have never been to Milan and would like to see it at least once in my life, so that way I can add it to my "traveled to" list, which is my lifelong work. I am fortunate in that I have seen Madrid once already, phenomenal city and I have no issues with the idea of ever going back to see it again, however, I would not ever want to live there (and same goes for Milan).
Given your criteria and tastes, that makes sense.

Hey, I see you're in Tokyo now!!! I officially completed my ventures of the past few months that I was telling you about:
-5 Days Mexico City
-4 Days Tokyo
-4 Days Hong Kong
-5 Days Beijing

I already miss and am in love with all of them. All were addicting and incredible, in different ways. My s/o is unfortunately not quite as much a city person as me, but she enjoyed the trip and would be willing to live abroad perhaps in some of these at some point. She mentioned that Tokyo had perhaps usurped Copenhagen for her as her favorite city in the world, so we'll see.

I think if I were to try to own property in any of these cities at this point it would be Madrid. And my reason would be simplistic enough. It is Spanish speaking, vibrant, historic (yet cosmopolitan/modern-ish with great metro), has mountains nearby, great parks and has significant Latin culture and amazing food, plus, it would be the cheapest with which to own property. I think it would be high on the list of cities (maybe even #1?) on list of cities we may be looking to do that in. She speaks Spanish and thus would prefer to do so in a Spanish speaking country/city, and I feel Madrid would be safer than most.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:53 PM

839 posts, read 736,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
If Toronto had Sydney’s weather it would be one of the best cities on the planet, if not the best.
No. But if Toronto gets rid of the Gardiner Expressway, perhaps get rid of Billy Bishop Airport and turn the Islands into the city's version of Stanley Park (with direct overland connection from downtown), redevelop the Port Lands and eastern waterfront into a thriving, mixed-use community (which I know is ongoing) with a large public beach, expand its subway system and implement a congestion charge downtown, then maybe it can be one of the best.

I like Toronto and I can definitely see myself living there, but I don't think it is better than Sydney or even Madrid.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
No. But if Toronto gets rid of the Gardiner Expressway, perhaps get rid of Billy Bishop Airport and turn the Islands into the city's version of Stanley Park (with direct overland connection from downtown), redevelop the Port Lands and eastern waterfront into a thriving, mixed-use community (which I know is ongoing) with a large public beach, expand its subway system and implement a congestion charge downtown, then maybe it can be one of the best.

I like Toronto and I can definitely see myself living there, but I don't think it is better than Sydney or even Madrid.
And that will never ever happen lol.... and if that happens, I think Sydney will have fixed many of its cons too, such as better nightlife, faster airplanes to reach Europe/North America and Asia (a modern and more efficient version of the Concorde planes), cheaper housing, more cosmopolitan, more public transport alternatives.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,315,109 times
Re the comment that Sydney's public transport is like that in the US; you have got to be kidding. It is far more extensive, widely used and fully integrated than that in any city in the US that I have visited.

In addition yesterday the state government announced its state budget. A surplus of nearly $4billion with no debts. About $US3 billion. So even more more will be spent on upgrading the infrastructure.

However we really do not want to lure people to move here. It is increasingly felt that absorbing hundreds of thousands of newcomers a year is detrimental to us. So by all means, enjoy Madrid or Milan.

Our culture, by the way, is much more of a day culture, it is not necessarily a bad thing. Just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World