Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times

Advertisements

Oh wow, ok thanks for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The Romani Gypsies you see begging in Paris can be seen in New York City.
there is very few of them in the rest of the country.
Gypsies are everywhere in the US. They blend in now, to a certain extent, so that most people don't even know they have Gypsies as neighbors. Seattle has a special school in the public school system for Gypsy kids, that works with the parents to encourage attendance. In Seattle, gypsy homes are usually surrounded by high hedges to hide a collection of broken down trailers and vehicles. Documentaries have been made in the US about summer caravans they organize to attend large regional or national gatherings. Since they all have typical American camper arrangements or trailers, they don't stand out on the roads. It's interesting, though, that the US census doesn't have a category for Roma.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:07 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As in the ethnic group? I don't think we even have gypsies here, at least not that I know of. Mention 'gypsy' and most people would probably think of people who live in caravans and like to sing and dance, or maybe Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Damme lol.
Yes there are gypsies here in Australia. Yet it seems they are more integrated in society than in the past. My dad said he used to notice gypsies in Australia when he was much younger. Yet he did not have any thing good to saw about them.

I believe I met a few that lived in a caravan park. I stayed there for awhile at that caravan park. I don't think they were much liked there either.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,094,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Here it is exactly the same, lack of integration, kids don't go to school, always cursing people who don't give money to them, etc.
I thought they are more integrated in Spain especially in Sevilla and Granada ? I also thought the gypsies there teach Flamenco ?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM

91 posts, read 147,392 times
In Spain, Spanish gypsies are now better considered because they are compared with Romanian gypsies..and they gain a lot..and indeed, some Spanish gypsies seem to be doing Ok.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gypsies are everywhere in the US. They blend in now, to a certain extent, so that most people don't even know they have Gypsies as neighbors. Seattle has a special school in the public school system for Gypsy kids, that works with the parents to encourage attendance. In Seattle, gypsy homes are usually surrounded by high hedges to hide a collection of broken down trailers and vehicles. Documentaries have been made in the US about summer caravans they organize to attend large regional or national gatherings. Since they all have typical American camper arrangements or trailers, they don't stand out on the roads. It's interesting, though, that the US census doesn't have a category for Roma.
Interesting.
I've only heard of the communities in Memphis and Augusta but those might be Irish Travelers.
I haven't seem the documentary but I've seen the shows on TLC, I don't take it seriously tho.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Canada, the Romani are only seen in big cities, where they gather together, in communal houses.

The men tend to be in some kind of "nearly illegal " work, such as asphalt driveway spraying, or phony chimney repairs, or selling stolen stuff on the street. The women are either into shop lifting, using their kids as decoys, or fortune telling scams on old people. Most have up to four phoney identities, with made up names and addresses. Many will not even acknowledge their real name, or family relationships.

Kids are not encouraged to attend school past age 14 , and the girls get married very young, and all ways to a member of the clan. Having many kids is a way to increase the family income, as each new baby is a another name to put on the welfare rolls.

In the past few years, Canada has seen a big increase in refugee claims from Hungary, most of whom are actually Romani people. We are talking about thousands, a year. With our lax Immigration and Refugee regulations , they are hard to get rid of, even when their Refugee claim has been denied. Most just change their name, and go underground, within their own culture.

Of course, they maintain that they are being unfairly treated, but it sure looks like they are a drag on our society, with little contribution to our society, at all.

Jim B.

Toronto.
It became such a problem that two years ago the law was changed making a visa mandatory for visitors from these countries.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 PM

408 posts, read 998,694 times
I have lived in the Chicago area for most of my life, and I have yet to encounter a Gypsy that I recognized. Maybe they are out there, but I have not noticed. I had to look up in the daily newspaper some articles to see where they live and what they do around here:

Articles about Gypsy - Chicago Tribune
Articles about Roma - Chicago Tribune

When I was in Bardejov, Slovakia, I had a bunch of Gypsies come up to my family and me as we were exiting a store. The children cupped their hands in front of my face and wanted money or food. My cousin shooed them off with some candy. As we drove around the town, I noticed a Gypsy ghetto. It was unattractive because there were people wandering around aimlessly; the neighborhood looked disarrayed.

In Poland, Gypsies are not looked upon favorably. In the old days--around the 1940s - 1960s (and surely before/after)--they would travel the countryside and occasionally steal things off farms. Many households would be on the look out for Gypsies and try to hide or lock up valuables.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,094,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabocov View Post
In Spain, Spanish gypsies are now better considered because they are compared with Romanian gypsies..and they gain a lot..and indeed, some Spanish gypsies seem to be doing Ok.
Portuguese gypsies are better I think than Romanian gypsies in Portugal, atleast the Portuguese gypsies sell blankets, carpets in flea markets but the Romanian gypsies are always begging and they often use their babies so people would pitty them. Women go on the streets to beg while carrying new born babies under the heat of the sun.poor babies .

Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM

208 posts, read 547,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I thought they are more integrated in Spain especially in Sevilla and Granada ? I also thought the gypsies there teach Flamenco ?
No they aren't.
I have been rised in a town with more than a 40% of gypsies, I'm not going to write about them becouse if I do I'm going to be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World