Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: your favorite third world country
Mexico 11 14.86%
Brazil 5 6.76%
Argentina 3 4.05%
Chile 1 1.35%
China 8 10.81%
India 8 10.81%
Egypt 3 4.05%
Malayasia 0 0%
Thailand 11 14.86%
Others 24 32.43%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My favourite is Cambodia which isn't listed - I've been to two countries in this list and like each for its own reasons:

Thailand: Amazing people, beautiful country and Bangkok is a total blast.. hustle and bustle and an interesting juxtaposition of old and modern.. Great food it is truly the most exciting city I've been to and the value you get for the dollar is hard to beat.

Egypt: What can I say - I LOVE Egyptian history and to ride a camel through the desert approaching the Great Pyramids and visiting the Cairo Museum and Valley of the Kings in Luxor - the highlight trip of my life.
Been wanting to see Egypt but how are they towards American visitors? With all the civil unrest it may be years before I see The Great Pyramids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Take into account I went in 2010 prior to the Arab Spring... however I don't go around wearing Canadians pins or tags (I find it tacky but just me lol) when I travel so by virtue of the way I spoke and look, I could've been taken as American and quite frankly no problems (as in the case with most places - things are sensationalized in the media) people are too paranoid and most people in the world separate the visitor from the politics of their country.

Having said that I personally would wait a while until there is some stability in the country. It isn't about being American - Cairo just isn't very safe for anyone right now i'd say!

When things stabilize politically than definitely go I really do hope it is sooner rather than later!

Exercise normal precautions: stay away from demonstrations if they occur and keep tabs of U.S, Canadian, Australian and British travel advisories! I access all four countries government travel sites to get complete good info on areas to stay away from for the places I visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Been wanting to see Egypt but how are they towards American visitors? With all the civil unrest it may be years before I see The Great Pyramids

Last edited by fusion2; 07-05-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Take into account I went in 2010 prior to the Arab Spring... however I don't go around wearing Canadians pins or tags (I find it tacky but just me lol) when I travel so by virtue of the way I spoke and look, I could've been taken as American and quite frankly no problems (as in the case with most places - things are sensationalized in the media) people are too paranoid and most people in the world separate the visitor from the politics of their country.

Having said that I personally would wait a while until there is some stability in the country. It isn't about being American - Cairo just isn't very safe for anyone right now i'd say!

When things stabilize politically than definitely go I really do hope it is sooner rather than later!

Exercise normal precautions: stay away from demonstrations if they occur and keep tabs of U.S, Canadian, Australian and British travel advisories! I access all four countries government travel sites to get complete good info on areas to stay away from for the places I visit.

A big thank you friend for your advise

Old 07-05-2013, 11:22 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
A big thank you friend for your advise

Old 07-06-2013, 09:04 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Basic nuclear technology isn't that hard as you might have imagined. To make nuclear weapon, all you need is nuclear material.

China is backward because of its government.
Basic nuclear technology isn't hard, but building a nuclear bomb is. Getting the nuclear material is technical enough because of the methods required to enrich it for use in bomb making. Much harder is to actually design and build one that will explode correctly. To get high yield bombs is even still that much more difficult.

So no, just having nuclear material is not enough, else there would be lots of terrorist organizations with them and every 3rd world dictator would have his own arsenal. Obviously that isnt the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
China is a dump!

I agree.

yeh, thats not fog.

Yep, some actual water samples from rivers and lakes. Not types of juice or gatorade sold in China

Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 AM

364 posts, read 619,518 times
China is third world - dont let a large skyline fool you

Old 07-07-2013, 03:58 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Guatemala: Breathtaking scenery, fascinating cultural traditions, very rich archaeology

Taiwan: Beautiful scenery, GREAT food! Thriving economy, ancient cultural traditions that were stamped out in China long
ago. Really interesting aboriginal cultures.

What are the former Soviet-bloc countries now? Are Romania and Bulgaria First World or 3rd World? If 3rd World, I include Romania as a favorite.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
China is third world - dont let a large skyline fool you
Nah its second world...

Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
That would make the PIs 1st world

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedRustbelt View Post
um.......always??

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd world classification dates back to the Cold War era.

As I stated before in a previous comment that the ORIGINAL definitions do not have to do with a country's state of wealth, but rather if they were allied with the Western Democracies (1st world), the Soviet Union and other communist countries (2nd world), or neutral/non aligned countries (3rd world).

Since Saudi Arabia chose a more neutral stance in the Cold War it was classified as a 3rd World country.

This misunderstanding is exactly why I proposed calling this thread: "Favorite Developing Countries"

Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;30305735
I laugh everytime you post just because of your username.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World