Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2013, 02:55 AM
 
25 posts, read 115,799 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Overall, the problem with southern European countries is that for almost some 1,500 years now their superhighway to trade and direct investment has been more or less broken and managed by others, and no repair is in sight.

So faghettaboutit.

Drugs are bad for your health, those fettuccini you ate at papa caz.zo's trattoria in Poke County are bad for your cholesterol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2013, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Reputation: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
No offense but read what I said, there are some extremely ghetto poor 3rd world countries like Congo and Philippines. You aren't going to starve to death in Lisbon, no one is saying that. But Lisbon is not as advanced as alot of the 3rd world countries major cities like in China, Brazil, Russia, South Africa, etc.

The rich don't want out but the rich don't want out anywhere

Fair enough but it is not 1st world. No more 1st world than any non super backwards country
Yes China may be advanced in technology, or they may have what you call rocket trains or skyscrapers but I think it is quite hard to rank it high as there is no control in their foods and products. Their milk and other products were discovered to have melamin in 2009 and last year there was a girl who died when she ate a chicken sold from a fried chicken kiosk because the seller put some thing to preserve the chicken as it was already old. These things do not happen in Portugal as there is so much control and inspection in foods and restaurants. Also, people's habbits are to be considered as well. In China, Parents let their toddlers pee anywhere, cheap malls and hospital hallways and waiting areas. Their economy might be boosting but to be called first world, their bad habbits have to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 AM
 
25 posts, read 115,799 times
Reputation: 49
This is the guy that says that Cleopatra was Tina Turner's wanabee? Afrocentrist, they call them..a big insult for Africans from Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Reputation: 11103
Lombardy has a GDP per capita of €33,500.
The Madrid region has €34,100

The State of New York's GDP per capita is €35,600.

The differences are much smaller than some people actually think...

All are 1st world countries for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2013, 01:01 PM
 
Location: In the heights
37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Reputation: 21252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes China may be advanced in technology, or they may have what you call rocket trains or skyscrapers but I think it is quite hard to rank it high as there is no control in their foods and products. Their milk and other products were discovered to have melamin in 2009 and last year there was a girl who died when she ate a chicken sold from a fried chicken kiosk because the seller put some thing to preserve the chicken as it was already old. These things do not happen in Portugal as there is so much control and inspection in foods and restaurants. Also, people's habbits are to be considered as well. In China, Parents let their toddlers pee anywhere, cheap malls and hospital hallways and waiting areas. Their economy might be boosting but to be called first world, their bad habbits have to go.
Yea, pretty much. East/Southeast Asia as a whole is still a pretty big mess with Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and the SARs being the only first world countries. Malaysia might get there soon as well.

The rest of the countries will probably take a while. If it's not industrial food problems like in China then it's stuff like really bad sanitation in the Philippines or general poverty or stupefying religious superstition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2013, 01:48 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Spain and Italy are 1st world for sure, maybe some rural parts 2nd world.
Central and Northern Italy are first world.
Period.
Southern Italy is second/third world... with the exception of some touristic areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 AM
 
7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Reputation: 5615
they all fit the criteria for ( first world ) status but some first world countries are of course more developed and wealthier than others , Greece and Portugal would be at the lower end where as sweeden and the likes of the Netherlands would be near the very top

broadly speaking , all are first world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:07 AM
 
7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Reputation: 5615
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Central and Northern Italy are first world.
Period.
Southern Italy is second/third world... with the exception of some touristic areas.

compared to west London , east Glasgow is is third world yet both are part of the uk , same deal with Vermont in the usa and parts of rural Alabama , as a whole , Italy and the usa are first world

I also don't believe any part of southern Italy is close to third world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 AM
 
1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Reputation: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
compared to west London , east Glasgow is is third world yet both are part of the uk , same deal with Vermont in the usa and parts of rural Alabama , as a whole , Italy and the usa are first world

I also don't believe any part of southern Italy is close to third world

Next time you're in Southern Italy skip the island of Capri and visit Naples' metropolitan area, Calabria and Sicily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Reputation: 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post

Next time you're in Southern Italy skip the island of Capri and visit Naples' metropolitan area, Calabria and Sicily.
And you should probably visit a country like Kenya to get an idea what a third world country really is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top