Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
I have never been to Greece but have a friend in New York who just returned - in his words "Greece is the armpit of Western Europe".

Any truth to it? I don't know
And what make any other country in Europe so much better? Their northern european superiority complex? Their wealth? Their shorter culture? Europe is what it is today because of Greece and Rome don't forget that. Only some centuries ago northern European countries were looked at as barbaric. Their culture and rennaisance is mostly a derivation of the fall of Rome and later the sack of Constantinople by the 4th Crusade. Sure Greece fell behind in the last few centuries in some ways but it was mostly due to wars and foreign occupation. That won't make them the armpit of Europe. Moreover I am sure the the austerity measures by the recent government along with its shot economy has made everyday living harsh for Greeks and things don't look so shiny there now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Europe is what it is today because of Greece and Rome don't forget that. Only some centuries ago northern European countries were looked at as barbaric. Their culture and rennaisance is mostly a derivation of the fall of Rome and later the sack of Constantinople by the 4th Crusade.
BS. I've never heard a single European saying that "Europe have Greece and Rome to thank for everything", but many Americans seem to think this way. We know our history, and realise this is just false. Lady Gaga hasn't much to do with the pioneers of jazz or rock 'n' roll either.

I don't know what century you are referring to, but there has been negative sentiment probably towards

Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
And what make any other country in Europe so much better? Their northern european superiority complex? Their wealth? Their shorter culture? Europe is what it is today because of Greece and Rome don't forget that. Only some centuries ago northern European countries were looked at as barbaric. Their culture and rennaisance is mostly a derivation of the fall of Rome and later the sack of Constantinople by the 4th Crusade. Sure Greece fell behind in the last few centuries in some ways but it was mostly due to wars and foreign occupation. That won't make them the armpit of Europe. Moreover I am sure the the austerity measures by the recent government along with its shot economy has made everyday living harsh for Greeks and things don't look so shiny there now
By this logic we all need to thank East Africans because we wouldn't even exisit were it not for them.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:50 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,849 times
Quote:
The same could be said of North America and the ancient South America civilisations and the US as a nation is equally indebted to numerous civilisations who went before them. As for superiority complexes I would suggest American Exceptionalism is seen as quite a bizarre notion in other parts of the world. Whilst the US equally has a history of White Anglo Saxon superiority with the original ancient North American civilisations such as the Indian tribes treat very badly by the newly formed US Government and populace. Furthermore a system of racial apartheid still existing in parts of the US as late as the 1960's, based on racial superiority. So I really don't think Americans are in any position to lecture others on superiority.

In terms of Greek and Latin, they are both highly respected languages and cultures and are known as the 'Classics' in Britain, whilst in recent years both have returned to some state school curriculums.

Last edited by Bamford; 06-15-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,386,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
BS. I've never heard a single European saying that "Europe have Greece and Rome to thank for everything", but many Americans seem to think this way. We know our history, and realise this is just false. Lady Gaga hasn't much to do with the pioneers of jazz or rock 'n' roll either.

I don't know what century you are referring to, but there has been negative sentiment probably towards
wasn't speaking as someone living in America but I would still say that northern Europe and north America feel superior over the older nations of southern Europe. Nevermind the fact that they got their roots of their own civilizations from those older countries. That is not a false statement but a historical fact.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
but I would still say that northern Europe and north America feel superior over the older nations of southern Europe.
Really? Haven't really noticed that in Europe. Well, besides the sentiment of the Germans towards Greece lately. But that's not so much about a feel of superiority, but rather disbelieve of which path that country took during the last years politically and financially.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Really? Haven't really noticed that in Europe. Well, besides the sentiment of the Germans towards Greece lately. But that's not so much about a feel of superiority, but rather disbelieve of which path that country took during the last years politically and financially.
I did unfortunately.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
wasn't speaking as someone living in America but I would still say that northern Europe and north America feel superior over the older nations of southern Europe. Nevermind the fact that they got their roots of their own civilizations from those older countries. That is not a false statement but a historical fact.
Most of what modern Europe stems from the Enlightenment and newer ideas. Modern economics, the modern constitution, universal suffrage, free speech, free press, Protestantism and much more which is essential in today's society has nothing to do with the Romans and Greeks. And I don't see any reason why anyone should be grateful towards modern Italy or Greece, which has nothing to do with something that was over 2000 years ago. Every nation in Europe has built itself by themselves.

I don't deny that the Ancient Greeks and Romans haven't had any effect, but it's a lot smaller than you might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I did unfortunately.
And can confirm it. There's people here who hold Spain, Portugal and Greece in contempt labeling them as corrupted and lazy siesta sleepers, but luckily that is not a widespread sentiment. Mostly it's wondering how the politicans could get their countries in that shape, like VU said.

(And we would've probably gone Portugal by 2030 if keeping our debt and budget deficit growing at this rate, so that got many to be silent.)

Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,349 times
What's funny is that Greeks work roughly 500 hours per year more than most of Northern Europeans...talking about "laziness".
PS. Not an offense to you Ariete, just a mere fact which most people seem to forget.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Not for everything, just for the western civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World