Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
show me one Chinese who can tell me about Socrates, Friedrich Nietzsche, the Renaissance
Show me one American who can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Show me one American at the WalMart store who can.
Awe wow Mr. Happy is still around?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Do any of these singers perform regularly in English? I can't get YouTube at work to check these links myself. If they do not, it really isn't surprising that they wouldn't be popular in North America for obvious reasons.

Good lord. I'm not sure about "Americans" in general, but people who make blanket statements about entire nations of people like this certainly fall into directly into the "ignorant" and "hypocrite" categories themselves.
If you lived in the USA, I would suggest that you get out your cable channel listings and see how many TV channels from outside the USA are carried on basic cable. Unless you are in a border town, that carries one or two Canadian or Mexican stations, the answer is zero. Last time I was in China, there were no foreign stations on cable, but as far as I know, the US and China are the only two countries in the world in which there is no foreign-origin TV on basic cable. In most countries, there is TV from at least 5 or 6 foreign countries on basic cable, and millions of people watching them, and finding out a great deal about the rest of the world in the process. A global knowledge that Americans are securely and systematically insulated from. The basic American attitude is "I already know everything, so why should I listen to what people in other countries have to say or learn anything about them?"

Tell me if you think this would be a stupid statement:

Do any of these singers perform regularly in Turkish? If they do not, it really isn't surprising that they wouldn't be popular in Turkey for obvious reasons.

Those "obvious reasons" do not seem all that obvious to me. Apparently, what you think is "obvious" is that no vocal music is of any value unless it is sung in YOUR language, and then it is worth listening to, no matter how bad it is.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-02-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Alizee - I love two of her songs the most, "I'm Fed Up" <- english and french versions. Just bought the Maxi cd from amazon today but I don't know if the used cd comes from Germany or the USA. But amazon listed a brand new version of the cd and it was selling for $3773.27 from the UK! See: Amazon.com: J'en ai marre - I'm fed up [MAXI-CD]: Music

Read the description of one of her cds: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...11&style=music

Look up the youtube videos of: "I'm Fed UP" and J'en Ai Marre!

It's funny how there are big international music stars in other countries and their music is hardly known in the USA! Do you know of any other good music from other countries! Tell us about it!
I don't see how this kind of music can be popular in the US.
It's too... European)))

Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Alizee - I love two of her songs the most, "I'm Fed Up" <- english and french versions. Just bought the Maxi cd from amazon today but I don't know if the used cd comes from Germany or the USA. But amazon listed a brand new version of the cd and it was selling for $3773.27 from the UK! See: Amazon.com: J'en ai marre - I'm fed up [MAXI-CD]: Music

Read the description of one of her cds: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...11&style=music

Look up the youtube videos of: "I'm Fed UP" and J'en Ai Marre!

It's funny how there are big international music stars in other countries and their music is hardly known in the USA! Do you know of any other good music from other countries! Tell us about it!
Yes, she's hot. Unfortunately, she can't sing worth a poo.

Just as cute in her day and a voice that should be universally famous Europe-wide (as well as other places).

Linda Ronstadt ~ Poor Poor Pitiful Me - YouTube

Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
I think the answer is the language they are performing in, isn't it?
That was my guess, not having access to the videos from this computer. Thanks for verifying.

I have seen some bad examples of America-bashing, but really.... Americans are the most "culturally ignorant and insulated" people in the world because music sung in languages other than English aren't popular there?

I guess that makes Canadians just as ignorant as well, considering we don't listen to music sung in languages other than English neither (unless you are a straight-up Francophone, that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
If you lived in the USA, I would suggest that you get out your cable channel listings and see how many TV channels from outside the USA are carried on basic cable.
And exactly how many basic cable channels on Canadian TV do you think originate outside of Canada and the United States? Furthermore, if it weren't for Can-con legislation, how many Canadian productions would be broadcast on Canadian television if they were forced to survive on their own merit?

Does that make Canada an ignorant cultural backwater as well?

Quote:
Those "obvious reasons" do not seem all that obvious to me. Apparently, what you think is "obvious" is that no vocal music is of any value unless it is sung in YOUR language, and then it is worth listening to, no matter how bad it is.
I never said it had no value, you did. I merely pointed out that music sung in Turkish, Hindi or whatever will NEVER be as popular as music sung in English within Canada and the U.S. due to the fact that the majority of the population in both countries speak English as their primary language. I mean seriously... Why do you think popular musicians such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones have never enjoyed the level of success in India or China as they have in North America and Europe?

It really isn't that difficult a concept to grasp... for most people, anyways.

Last edited by Annuvin; 10-03-2013 at 12:29 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Yes, she's hot. Unfortunately, she can't sing worth a poo.

Just as cute in her day and a voice that should be universally famous Europe-wide (as well as other places).

Linda Ronstadt ~ Poor Poor Pitiful Me - YouTube
Yeah, Linda Ronstadt has a good voice.
But it's too... "country."
I am not sure that something like that can be considered "hot" in Europe, particularly today...
While this Alizee girl - she has something whatchamacallit...that je ne sais quoi thing going on for her when she sings))))

Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 PM

168 posts, read 251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you lived in the USA, I would suggest that you get out your cable channel listings and see how many TV channels from outside the USA are carried on basic cable. Unless you are in a border town, that carries one or two Canadian or Mexican stations, the answer is zero. Last time I was in China, there were no foreign stations on cable, but as far as I know, the US and China are the only two countries in the world in which there is no foreign-origin TV on basic cable. In most countries, there is TV from at least 5 or 6 foreign countries on basic cable, and millions of people watching them, and finding out a great deal about the rest of the world in the process. A global knowledge that Americans are securely and systematically insulated from. The basic American attitude is "I already know everything, so why should I listen to what people in other countries have to say or learn anything about them?"
Umm what are you talking about? Why would you expect a cable/satellite provider to a large mainly English speaking population to provide networks that cost them money to carry and to license for an audience that isn't there? Besides that everything you seek is available with all the major providers now you can get foreign language ethnic programming, I've seen Asian packages, European, Russian, Middle Eastern, they're all there you just need to subscribe.

In Europe they carry foreign television networks for no additional charge is because they can pick them up over-the-air for free, and re-transmission isn't a huge cost, plus because of the close proximity there is a good chance that foreign language programming will be received by people that actually speak those languages. It's an entirely different story here in the US, for one thing they all need to be sent by oceanic fiber-optic cable or by satellite either are very expensive, and then you have the fact that there is no audience for most foreign language programming because almost no one here speaks those languages.

And in case you haven't been keeping track there are now like 5 or 6 major Spanish language American networks, carrying programming from Latin America, and producing their own, if you investigate the Spanish language packs that the providers are offering now it's up to several dozen networks many originating in foreign countries, we're not as closed off as you think we are.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 AM

168 posts, read 251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
That was my guess, not having access to the videos from this computer. Thanks for verifying.

I have seen some bad examples of America-bashing, but really.... Americans are the most "culturally ignorant and insulated" people in the world because music sung in languages other than English aren't popular there?

I guess that makes Canadians just as ignorant as well, considering we don't listen to music sung in languages other than English neither (unless you are a straight-up Francophone, that is).

And exactly how many basic cable channels on Canadian TV do you think originate outside of Canada and the United States? Furthermore, if it weren't for Can-con legislation, how many Canadian productions would be broadcast on Canadian television if they were forced to survive on their own merit?

Does that make Canada an ignorant cultural backwater as well?

I never said it had no value, you did. I merely pointed out that music sung in Turkishh, Hindi or whatever will NEVER be as popular as music sung in English within Canada and the U.S. due to the fact that the majority of the population in both countries speak English as their primary language. I mean seriously... Why do you think popular musicians such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones have never enjoyed the level of success in India or China as they have in North America and Europe?

It really isn't that difficult a concept to grasp... for most people, anyways.
Well yeah that's what I'm thinking, if most of your catalog is in French, or Swahili, a mega-fan will probably love it, but casual fans are going to be like what's this stuff? Add to that because the US is so large it takes a huge investment to "break into" the market here, and someone not really ready to invest the time and money into it, is going to be shown an equivalent amount of interest.

Also I've never seen a comment from that particular person that hasn't been negative about the US, and it's people, so I think he has a certain style/ideology that's pretty consistent, hehe.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:21 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
Also I've never seen a comment from that particular person that hasn't been negative about the US, and it's people, so I think he has a certain style/ideology that's pretty consistent, hehe.
Haters gonna hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World